The Student Room Group

Advice on Dropping Out and Switching University

I'm a first year undergraduate currently at university who's nearing the end of her first semester and I've realised that I've made a huge mistake in which university I chose.

I'm heavily depressed in my current environment and as a result have fallen behind on a lot of my work. The course itself is absolutely brutal and is known for being one of the most difficult of it's kind in the UK with a 50% drop-out rate, which wouldn't actually be a problem except a few months prior to beginning university I developed depression which has interfered heavily in my studies ever since beginning.

Having spoken to my departmental advisor I've been told that it wouldn't be possible for me to re-do the first year and that if I failed the first year, which I'm very certain I'm going to, I'll have to either downgrade to a lesser degree or drop-out completely.

Having considered my options I'm now looking to transfer to a university for which I was given an unconditional offer to when I first submitted my UCAS application. The course is pretty much exactly the same only it's at a slower, more manageable rate.

I know there's a chance I might not get accepted 2nd time round, but putting that aside I need some advice on what to do right now. I need to know whether it would be better for me to finish my first year anyway or just stop now, drop-out and see if I can rest

The issue here is that, mentally, I'm not in a good place. It's gotten to the point where some days I'm waking up and debating whether it'd prefer to go into class or jump into the middle of the road so I need to make a decision and soon.

I really need some time to get myself and my affairs in order, so ideally I'd prefer to just drop-out now and continue living in my accommodation until Summer when I can return home, but I don't actually know whether or not I'd continue to receive my Student Loan since I'm unsure as to whether I'd stop receiving it if I officially dropped out.

Has anybody else here been in this situation who can advise me?
Original post by kotoyoseru
I'm a first year undergraduate currently at university who's nearing the end of her first semester and I've realised that I've made a huge mistake in which university I chose.

I'm heavily depressed in my current environment and as a result have fallen behind on a lot of my work. The course itself is absolutely brutal and is known for being one of the most difficult of it's kind in the UK with a 50% drop-out rate, which wouldn't actually be a problem except a few months prior to beginning university I developed depression which has interfered heavily in my studies ever since beginning.

Having spoken to my departmental advisor I've been told that it wouldn't be possible for me to re-do the first year and that if I failed the first year, which I'm very certain I'm going to, I'll have to either downgrade to a lesser degree or drop-out completely.

Having considered my options I'm now looking to transfer to a university for which I was given an unconditional offer to when I first submitted my UCAS application. The course is pretty much exactly the same only it's at a slower, more manageable rate.

I know there's a chance I might not get accepted 2nd time round, but putting that aside I need some advice on what to do right now. I need to know whether it would be better for me to finish my first year anyway or just stop now, drop-out and see if I can rest

The issue here is that, mentally, I'm not in a good place. It's gotten to the point where some days I'm waking up and debating whether it'd prefer to go into class or jump into the middle of the road so I need to make a decision and soon.

I really need some time to get myself and my affairs in order, so ideally I'd prefer to just drop-out now and continue living in my accommodation until Summer when I can return home, but I don't actually know whether or not I'd continue to receive my Student Loan since I'm unsure as to whether I'd stop receiving it if I officially dropped out.

Has anybody else here been in this situation who can advise me?

I haven't actually been in this situation but I am thinking that if you are in halls and drop out the uni it is unlikely they will let you stay there until summer as they will give the room to a student enrolled in the uni

Have you maybe thought about staying until Christmas and then seeing how you feel after that break? If you really are set on having a degree then dropping out is quite a big gamble if you have nowhere else to go

Perhaps speak to your parents aswell let them know the situation and see what their thoughts are?

Hope this helps in some way
Reply 2
Out of interest what course, and uni, has such an astronomical drop out rate?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending