The Student Room Group

Stay at sixth form or go to college???

Hey:smile: I'm in year 12 at sixth form and I really feel like it wasn't a good idea to do A levels... there's just so much and so little motivation to get through them. I'm doing biology, RE, health and social and psychology. My favourite is health and social, I like parts of biology and psychology but really don't like RE. Plus I'm not getting very good grades. I want to do either midwifery or primary education and I am going to be doing some work experience within the next few months to help me make a decision. Depending on how work experience goes and how I do in my mock AS exams, would it be worth considering a health and social course at college? I really don't wanna do AS then do A level but fail and then have to retake my exams. Especially when I don't like being at my sixth form. Either way, chances are I wouldn't be able to go onto higher education until the year after, but surely one year isn't going to make too much difference. Thank-you!!!
Original post by x.BlueEyedGirl.x
Hey:smile: I'm in year 12 at sixth form and I really feel like it wasn't a good idea to do A levels... there's just so much and so little motivation to get through them. I'm doing biology, RE, health and social and psychology. My favourite is health and social, I like parts of biology and psychology but really don't like RE. Plus I'm not getting very good grades. I want to do either midwifery or primary education and I am going to be doing some work experience within the next few months to help me make a decision. Depending on how work experience goes and how I do in my mock AS exams, would it be worth considering a health and social course at college? I really don't wanna do AS then do A level but fail and then have to retake my exams. Especially when I don't like being at my sixth form. Either way, chances are I wouldn't be able to go onto higher education until the year after, but surely one year isn't going to make too much difference. Thank-you!!!

Hiya, there's no point doing courses that you aren't enjoying in a environment that's not right for you. It sounds like college would be more up your street. It would be too late to join this year so I would do the best you can to get through through this year and get the best possible grades especially in health and social and then join next year. Some unis are not keen on people taking 3 years over a levels so you'd be at a bit of a disadvantage but it depends where you look to apply. :smile:
Original post by x.BlueEyedGirl.x

Id stick it out for the rest of the year (its too late to change courses now). At least you will be able to get your AS levels out of it.
Then in the meantime, you can look into college courses for next year.
You could do health and social care like you said, or you can also do childcare (or childcare and education as my course was called). People on my course went on to do midwifery and primary teaching at uni with that course, so that course leaves your options open for whichever you decide to do.
Reply 3
I would go to a college it will get boring spending 7 years there trust me ive barely done 5 and want a change of scene.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending