French tenses confusion (GCSE)- Pluperfect/perfect Watch

VioletPhillippo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hiya,
I'm wondering whether this sentence makes more sense/is more correct in the perfect or the pluperfect. I'm quite confused as to which would be better so any help appreciated. Btw I'm talking about a bad day at school in the past tense and the party was the night before this day. Thanks

Pluperfect version:
J'étais allée à une fête la veille et il était tellement tard dans la soirée quand j'ai retourné chez moi que j'étais très fatiguée le matin à cause d'un manque de sommeil.

I had gone to a party the night before and it was so late in the evening when I returned home that I was very tried in the morning because of a lack of sleep.

OR

Je suis allée à une fête la veille ..........
I went to a party the night before

Which makes more sense?
Anna Schoon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by VioletPhillippo)
Hiya,
I'm wondering whether this sentence makes more sense/is more correct in the perfect or the pluperfect. I'm quite confused as to which would be better so any help appreciated. Btw I'm talking about a bad day at school in the past tense and the party was the night before this day. Thanks

Pluperfect version:
J'étais allée à une fête la veille et il était tellement tard dans la soirée quand j'ai retourné chez moi que j'étais très fatiguée le matin à cause d'un manque de sommeil.

I had gone to a party the night before and it was so late in the evening when I returned home that I was very tried in the morning because of a lack of sleep.

OR

Je suis allée à une fête la veille ..........
I went to a party the night before

Which makes more sense?
In your example, because there isn't really a gap in the events - they are all linked to each other and occur in a chronological order - you really need the perfect and not the pluperfect. (Note that "retourner" takes "être" and an agreement!

Je suis allée à une fête la veille, il était tellement tard dans la soirée quand je suis retournée chez moi que j'étais très fatiguée le matin à cause d'un manque de sommeil.

If you wanted to use the pluperfect, you could swap things around, like this for example:

J'étais très fatiguée ce matin-là parce que j'étais allée à une fête la veille et que j'étais retournée chez moi vraiment tard dans la soirée.

The second "que" (in front of "j'étais retournée") shows that it links back to the "parce que" - which is why this verb also needs to be in the pluperfect.
VioletPhillippo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Anna Schoon)
In your example, because there isn't really a gap in the events - they are all linked to each other and occur in a chronological order - you really need the perfect and not the pluperfect. (Note that "retourner" takes "être" and an agreement!

Je suis allée à une fête la veille, il était tellement tard dans la soirée quand je suis retournée chez moi que j'étais très fatiguée le matin à cause d'un manque de sommeil.

If you wanted to use the pluperfect, you could swap things around, like this for example:

J'étais très fatiguée ce matin-là parce que j'étais allée à une fête la veille et que j'étais retournée chez moi vraiment tard dans la soirée.

The second "que" (in front of "j'étais retournée") shows that it links back to the "parce que" - which is why this verb also needs to be in the pluperfect.
Thank you very much, it makes sense now
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (41)
39.05%
No - but I will (4)
3.81%
No - I don't want to (5)
4.76%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (55)
52.38%

Watched Threads