Foundation Year Transfer Issue Watch

Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 4 years ago

I'm currently having an issue getting my tuition fees paid for this year and I'm not sure how much of the issue is just confusion about the issue or whether I'm just not eligible this year.

So I started on an engineering foundation year (not a foundation degree) in 2012/13, which I failed and subsequently repeated once which I know means I've used my gift year.

After repeating that foundation year once I've now transferred to a different institution and started on the actual first year of an engineering degree so I've progressed a year in my studies. I've been told that I can't get for my tuition fees though.

I know there was a clerical issue where my foundation year had been listed as "year 1" instead of "year 0", but I don't know if that changes anything. Unfortunately when I speak to SLC on the phone it really doesn't feel like they're understanding the issue at all!

I've also been told by SLC that I need to get my new institution to transfer me to the 4 year version of the course that I'm on that includes a foundation year but the institution have said this isn't possible for audit purposes.

Now, after the clerical issue has been cleared up, I'm being told I need to fill out a PN1 and start the whole thing over again!

Any help clearing this up would be great as it feels like different people are telling me different things!

Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 6
Report 4 years ago

The way we work out your entitlement is by using what we call the previous study rule, which is as follows:

(Duration of Course) + (Gift Year) - (Previous Study) = Entitlement

So when you were studying your original course and you used up your gift year, you still had the 4 years of funding left
(4+1) - 1 = 4

But when you have transferred, if we now have you down as though you are on a 3 year course, the calculation will look like this:
(3+1) - 2 = 2

Meaning you only have 2 years of full funding left, so you would not be entitled to tuition fees for your first year of the new course.

If you had continued on the original course, or if your new Uni can transfer you onto year 2 of the 4 year course then you would be entitled to full funding, but as it stands, you will receive maintenance loan only this year, but full funding for your last 2 years.

If you are still confused by this, please call us on 0300 100 0607 as it may be easier to explain over the phone.


Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
new posts
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.


University open days

  • Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (443)
No - but I will (88)
No - I don't want to (80)
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (560)

Watched Threads

View All