I don't know which uni offer to accept! Any help would be much appreciated!

Watch
Matt_England
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I have nearly received all of my offers from universities and am unsure on which one to accept... The two unis that I am unsure of are Exeter and Birmingham (both to study biological sciences with a year in industry). Here's my dilemma:

I really liked Exeter when I went to the open day but the offer will most likely be AAA (which will be v. hard to achieve). However, I have received an unconditional offer from Birmingham. I like the uni a lot, but not as much as Exeter. Also, the offer for Birmingham is for a Masters Degree (which may look better to employees). I have heard different things about both cities and am just really stuck on what to do!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
U REEK
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Birmingham > exeter no doubt
Matt_England
Rep:
?
(Original post by U REEK)
Really? What makes you say that?
username1611059
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I would firm Exeter, and put Birmingham as my insurance. It seems like you are pretty made up anyway
Matt_England
Rep:
?
(Original post by Millymd)
I would firm Exeter, and put Birmingham as my insurance. It seems like you are pretty made up anyway
Oh I forgot to mention, if I want the unconditional offer, I have to put Birmingham as my first choice! That's what makes it harder ahah
username1611059
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Matt_England)
Oh I forgot to mention, if I want the unconditional offer, I have to put Birmingham as my first choice! That's what makes it harder ahah
I know, that's how it works. If you don't firm them, what is the offer?
Matt_England
Rep:
?
(Original post by Millymd)
I know, that's how it works. If you don't firm them, what is the offer?
AAA
Willburrr
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by U REEK)
erm... no.
Matt_England
Rep:
?
Okay, thank you for your help
Howbeit
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
They're both great universities. Younger people always place so much importance on the 'tier' of their university when choosing... yes it's important but the distinction between Exeter and Birmingham really doesn't justify choosing one over the other if you prefer one of them. I would write down pros and cons of attending each university and make a choice based on that.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think Exeter is a nicer place to study; the Birmingham campus is not great.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
you need to go where the course suits you better and where you will feel most comfortable. The MSc is not really an issue as you can normally change onto that in your second year. Going to the visit day will help as you can discuss that with the staff. If you believe you cannot get the grades will for Exeter it is little point of going there but most unis will accept a single grade drop say aab. The reason Birmingham are offering unconditional is to get you to go there so the choice is really yours
kyraaalm
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I saw a thread of someone who choose Birmingham because of the unconditional. And they hated it and are now reapplying for somewhere else. So don't just firm it because they offered you unconditional. Cause that's how they get a lot of people in. Firm where you want to go and then work hard for the grades

Posted from TSR Mobile
TheBBQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Firm Birmingham.
hdaindak
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
i would go birmingham for sure- exeter is a uni that really doesn't appeal to me (though v. prestigious ofc)
hdaindak
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
look at wider stuff like the city, student life etc- obviously Birmingham is much bigger and prob a lot more on- i have had lots of friends who have gone to see exeter and said it was like a ghost town.. but if you want a smaller more personal place then exeter
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (386)
56.76%
I don't have everything I need (294)
43.24%

Watched Threads