Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently studying A level's (1st Year) and thinking of doing anthropology in university. But all i keep on hearing is that you "will have low salary or might not find a job". This kind of scares me but the more i read about the subject the more passionate i become about it. Just hoping some people could give me insight on this and advice. Is there any other related course i can do with a better future or should i just stick to what i want to do?

ReputationRep:
    It's going to be hard finding a job in anthropology, or a lot of related courses. You'd probably be best doing anthropology on the side as an interest or doing a joint honours degree probably.

ReputationRep:
    If you're passionate at it, go for it. Nobody has a guaranteed job once they come out of university. Not even Doctors are guaranteed jobs. You could do a dual degree to open up your job market. Maybe do Literature alongside it, or biology. Depends on what you like really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aoxa)
    It's going to be hard finding a job in anthropology, or a lot of related courses. You'd probably be best doing anthropology on the side as an interest or doing a joint honours degree probably.
    Thanks for the response, i know i could just do a marketing or business degree but I'm pretty sure i won't be as happy if I did anthropology. It would pretty suck you know being stuck in a job that I am not passionate about but just doing it for the money :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shyaamb)
    If you're passionate at it, go for it. Nobody has a guaranteed job once they come out of university. Not even Doctors are guaranteed jobs. You could do a dual degree to open up your job market. Maybe do Literature alongside it, or biology. Depends on what you like really.
    Thanks for the response, I guess you are right in that perspective that jobs are not guaranteed for anyone. I don't know much about dual degrees, what exactly could i do with that sort of education? Could i do like a business/anthropology degree, is that even possible?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlevelsLPU)
    Thanks for the response, I guess you are right in that perspective that jobs are not guaranteed for anyone. I don't know much about dual degrees, what exactly could i do with that sort of education? Could i do like a business/anthropology degree, is that even possible?
    Yeah. I think so. However i don't think that you could get a degree in business and anthropology from universities in England. Try doing research about American Universities and see if they offer this sort of a degree. However, i am certain that there are universities that offer anthro and biology as a dual degree.

As far as i know, dual degrees just make you look better and open up your job market as well as postgraduate study. What are you good at? sciences or english or Maths. Which one would you lean onto.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 30, 2014

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.