Living completely alone. What's it really like? Watch

izzy_xo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
What's it really like to live on your own, without any roommates?
I am considering moving out into a 3 bed house that's on site at work but worried I might get lonely?
Safiya122
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I've never really lived alone but like I have for a couple of days - not as a permanent thing and I mean it can get a bit lonely ngl but at least the house was kept clean and i didn't have anyone telling me what to do..so yes you should take into consideration of the idea of being lonely, if you don't like the idea i wouldn't recommend it because it will happen if you live alone
izzy_xo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Safiya122)
I've never really lived alone but like I have for a couple of days - not as a permanent thing and I mean it can get a bit lonely ngl but at least the house was kept clean and i didn't have anyone telling me what to do..so yes you should take into consideration of the idea of being lonely, if you don't like the idea i wouldn't recommend it because it will happen if you live alone
I'm the same, I've lived at home alone for a week or so but not any longer, and because I didn't go to uni I've never lived anywhere but with my family.
But I think I'm ready to move out and be independent, and it just so happened an opportunity came up. My family home is literally 5 miles away so it's not like Id be moving somewhere completely new.
And I don't really spend time with my family at home anyway, but I know it's completely different when you're all alone. I may just get a dog to keep me company!
Safiya122
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by izzy_xo)
I'm the same, I've lived at home alone for a week or so but not any longer, and because I didn't go to uni I've never lived anywhere but with my family.
But I think I'm ready to move out and be independent, and it just so happened an opportunity came up. My family home is literally 5 miles away so it's not like Id be moving somewhere completely new.
And I don't really spend time with my family at home anyway, but I know it's completely different when you're all alone. I may just get a dog to keep me company!
Haha good idea! Go for it
izzy_xo
Rep:
?
I keep changing my mind, deciding to move out, then deciding not too.
I definitely would if I lived with someone else, as it's being alone that I'm worried about because it's sort of in the middle of no where. But none of my friends want to move 😔
miser
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Personally I don't like it. You get used to it, though.
izzy_xo
Rep:
?
(Original post by miser)
Personally I don't like it. You get used to it, though.
That's not what I want to hear haha!
miser
  • Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That's not what I want to hear haha!
There are benefits such as having the kitchen to yourself, living room to yourself, etc., but there are also a number of draw backs such as increased prices and not having someone to chat to.

I enjoyed living with housemates much more than living on my own, but it depends what kind of person you are.
izzy_xo
Rep:
?
(Original post by miser)
There are benefits such as having the kitchen to yourself, living room to yourself, etc., but there are also a number of draw backs such as increased prices and not having someone to chat to.

I enjoyed living with housemates much more than living on my own, but it depends what kind of person you are.
I'm not the Most sociable person anyway tbh & I quite enjoy chilling out watching tv on evenings.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
you can wander round without your clothes on. although it is getting a bit chilly now.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It depends what you do. If you say you have a job, if you see friends regularly and go out in an evening etc that it's not too bad because it's nice to get time to yourself to chill when you've been busy. If you don't have much of a social life, and spend a lot of time in the house on your own, then I imagine it would get a little bit lonely. But some people don't mind that, others do, it depends which type you are - and often the only way you can tell is to try it!
SkyT
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have lived in a dormitory with seven other roommates in my flat. That was the time when I really really wanted to live alone. But I guess in the end all that matters is what kind of a person you are, some people just love to be surrounded by as many people as they can be. Others prefer a lifestyle that allows them more space and more time for themselves.

So if you are a person that cannot be alone for a longer time, living alone might be not the right thing for you. But if you want to focus on your studies then this might be the right thing for you.
Architecture-er
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well I live with two other housemates at the moment, but I don't do social things with them, nor spend my evenings with them.. so in some ways I might as well be living by myself

I guess I'd miss the general background knowledge that there are people around, but the positives of solo living might outweigh the negatives, I wouldn't do it in a city I was new to though, need to have some social structure so you're not totally isolated
SnoochToTheBooch
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have done it for the past 4 years now and I love it, love it, love it. Things can get a bit crazy because there's no one around to keep your behaviour in check but the freedom and lack of accountability is just fantastic.
izzy_xo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Architecture-er)
Well I live with two other housemates at the moment, but I don't do social things with them, nor spend my evenings with them.. so in some ways I might as well be living by myself

I guess I'd miss the general background knowledge that there are people around, but the positives of solo living might outweigh the negatives, I wouldn't do it in a city I was new to though, need to have some social structure so you're not totally isolated
It would be in the same town where I live now, so nothing would be different expect where I live
izzy_xo
Rep:
?
(Original post by SkyT)
So if you are a person that cannot be alone for a longer time, living alone might be not the right thing for you. But if you want to focus on your studies then this might be the right thing for you.
I've lived alone for a week or so while family was on holiday, and I have a horse so always out for an hour or more after work.
I guess you just don't know until you try
shawn_o1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What's it really like to live on your own, without any roommates?
I am considering moving out into a 3 bed house that's on site at work but worried I might get lonely?
I guess you might become friends with one of your colleagues and...
Kvothe the Arcane
  • Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm not friendly with my housemates. I lived alone for 2 years. I would prefer to live with a friend or housemate than alone but I see only benefits about living with those you're indifferent towards compared to living alone.

When you're by yourself, you have larger fridge space. You can organise things the house as you'd like it. You only have to be mindful of your neighbours so can wear what you like within the house and can play music whenever.
mosmof
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
i havent lived alone OP but one time everyone in my flat was away for a month and it was just me.

it was horrible... you need company OP. its what makes you human!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (387)
37.28%
No - but I will (80)
7.71%
No - I don't want to (72)
6.94%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (499)
48.07%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed