The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Calling university of York lit students

Hi guys, I just received an offer from the University of York to study and English BA in 2015 and since Christmas is quickly approaching, I have been making a list of books I thought I would treat myself to this holiday. However, since i will hopefully be starting a course at York in September/October, I also thought it would be useful to begin my collection of important books that would be handy at university.

Anyone who is currently studying English lit at York, what books would you recommend I purchase to really broaden my knowledge and prepare me for the first modules of my course?

Thanks guys!
Reply 1
You could try emailing the department for a copy of this year's reading list maybe? :smile:
University of York
York
Reply 2
Oh yeah, thanks!
Reply 3
I got an offer as well. If you get the list would you share it on this thread? Is York your first place heyhoshano or somewhere else?
Reply 4
Original post by heyhoshano
Hi guys, I just received an offer from the University of York to study and English BA in 2015 and since Christmas is quickly approaching, I have been making a list of books I thought I would treat myself to this holiday. However, since i will hopefully be starting a course at York in September/October, I also thought it would be useful to begin my collection of important books that would be handy at university.

Anyone who is currently studying English lit at York, what books would you recommend I purchase to really broaden my knowledge and prepare me for the first modules of my course?

Thanks guys!

I'm a first year History student at York and they told us not to do any preliminary reading, it could be the same for English. Tbh you should concentrate on making your offer, and even then I don't think doing reading beforehand is necessary unless they specifically want you to, as an English student you'll only have a few hours of lectures/seminars a week so there will be plenty of time to read while at uni.
Reply 5
Original post by kaizzu
I'm a first year History student at York and they told us not to do any preliminary reading, it could be the same for English. Tbh you should concentrate on making your offer, and even then I don't think doing reading beforehand is necessary unless they specifically want you to, as an English student you'll only have a few hours of lectures/seminars a week so there will be plenty of time to read while at uni.

Yeah I understand that. But I was going to get some books for xmas anyway to read in my own time, so if I picked a few out that could benefit uni then even better :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by elise706
I got an offer as well. If you get the list would you share it on this thread? Is York your first place heyhoshano or somewhere else?

I'll hopefully get in contact with them tomorrow, been a bit busy at the moment. Yeah it is my first choice:smile:
Reply 7
Update: I received a reply from York explaining that any literature that covers a broad spectrum of literature will be fine for now. They release the reading list for prospective students in late June/early July to give them the opportunity to get a head start on the reading.
Reply 8
Update: I received a reply from York explaining that any literature that covers a broad spectrum of literature will be fine for now. They release the reading list for prospective students in late June/early July to give them the opportunity to get a head start on the reading.

Hey. Thanks for looking into that, it's really helpful to know :biggrin:. York's my first place too. Where else did you get accepted? I'm waiting to hear from only one now. So if I get the grades I will hopefully see you there, I'm very excited. xx Plus, I got a Christmas Card from the English department so am very excited about going now.
Reply 9
I got a Christmas card too! It's sitting in my lounge, so pretty:smile:
I've got offers back from all of my choices now, I applied to Sunderland, Bishop Grossteste in Lincoln, university of Leeds, York St John and obviously the university of York

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Hello, I'm on the course and I agree, you should do as wide reading as possible and not worry too much about book lists. Try and read a bit of theory because that's always useful (I personally like Eagleton's introduction to Literary Theory but that's kind of intense) so find essays with titles that interest you and read them. I mention this because you will almost certainly be asked to get the Norton Anthology of Theory and Criticism. Secondly, read for fun but don't ignore the classics and other major works. Just try and balance light(er) reading with some of the "heavier" stuff. Don't worry, you will have plenty of time to read the set texts before the year starts (I read half before coming and the other half during term and it worked out fine). Best of luck!
Reply 11
Thank you! Ive been reading a lot more lately and have aimed to read as wide variety as possible. Got Silence of the Lambs for Xmas though and just had to make time to read that!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Thank you! Ive been reading a lot more lately and have aimed to read as wide variety as possible. Got Silence of the Lambs for Xmas though and just had to make time to read that!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey I just finished Lord of the Rings so yeah, I get you :cool:
Reply 13
You my friend have a good taste in books, but im much more of a Harris fan!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
I must confess I really don't like horror novels or films. Mainly because sleeping is nice and why would i jeopardise it?
Honestly i just felt bad i hadn't read the book but still claimed to be a fan. But that's because Aragorn is so fine. damn.
(and it's awesome plot, languages, fantasy, adventure blah blah blah Aragorn is what got me into this)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending