Worried about accommodation Watch

JennB96
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi everyone!
I have a conditional to study at Glasgow uni next year and it is definitely my first choice! However I haven't received responses from any other unis yet and I'm worried (possibly prematurely) about booking accommodation in February. If my other choices haven't responded by then I won't be able to accept my conditional and therefore won't be able to apply for halls will I? Plus I am desperate to be in QM halls or Murano Street, only two options in my eyes.
Any advice or just anyone in the same situation to talk to haha?
dragonkeeper999
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Have you spoken with the Glasgow uni admissions/ accommodation departments? The UCAS deadline for accepting offers isn't until May I think (at least several months away) so if they guarantee accommodation to first year students (which the majority of universities do) they must have some kind of allowance made for this.

However, if you 100% know you are going to put Glasgow down as your firm then there is no harm in sorting out accommodation now, particularly if it is true that if you leave it later you won't be able to get the halls you want. Bear in mind that you may need to confirm that you are accepting their offer on UCAS first though - which will require you having an insurance choice sorted too...

Probably the best thing to do would be to email their admissions/ accommodation departments for advice.
JennB96
Rep:
?
(Original post by dragonkeeper999)
Have you spoken with the Glasgow uni admissions/ accommodation departments? The UCAS deadline for accepting offers isn't until May I think (at least several months away) so if they guarantee accommodation to first year students (which the majority of universities do) they must have some kind of allowance made for this.

However, if you 100% know you are going to put Glasgow down as your firm then there is no harm in sorting out accommodation now, particularly if it is true that if you leave it later you won't be able to get the halls you want. Bear in mind that you may need to confirm that you are accepting their offer on UCAS first though - which will require you having an insurance choice sorted too...

Probably the best thing to do would be to email their admissions/ accommodation departments for advice.

I know that I'll have to accept the offer first, so I'll have to have my insurance sorted out. That's why I'm worrying about their offers not coming through. If my insurance doesn't get back in touch by February I won't be able to apply for halls straight away and may not get the ones I want (which is a big deal to me)
dragonkeeper999
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by JennB96)
I know that I'll have to accept the offer first, so I'll have to have my insurance sorted out. That's why I'm worrying about their offers not coming through. If my insurance doesn't get back in touch by February I won't be able to apply for halls straight away and may not get the ones I want (which is a big deal to me)
Definitely email their accommodation department for advice - they may be able to let you know how likely you are to get the halls you want if you end up applying for accommodation a bit later than everyone else, or even be able to reserve you the accommodation you really want (although this is unlikely...).

Mind you, February is still some time away - I know some universities don't look through applications until they have time over Christmas or even until after the UCAS equal consideration deadline (15th Jan???). I'm sure you'll get a few more offers through in the next month
Vitamin D
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Also keep in mind that murano street is huge and the majority of first years will probably end up there

Posted from TSR Mobile
JennB96
Rep:
?
(Original post by Vitamin D)
Also keep in mind that murano street is huge and the majority of first years will probably end up there

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay, I'd be fine living there but Firhill Court and some of the others I REALLY don't want to end up there. I emailed them and they said there's nothing you can do you just have to wait till you can accept your conditional.
07baileyc
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Okay, I'd be fine living there but Firhill Court and some of the others I REALLY don't want to end up there. I emailed them and they said there's nothing you can do you just have to wait till you can accept your conditional.
dont go to firhill court (im there atm and its bad) i think cairnross is probes best bc its the closest to uni
JennB96
Rep:
?
(Original post by 07baileyc)
dont go to firhill court (im there atm and its bad) i think cairnross is probes best bc its the closest to uni
Stressful situation as i may not hear back from Aberdeen until May, apparently they take ages and given last year's fiasco with the conditionals I may not even get an offer at all. So I may not get my first choices for accommodation. Found out we have to put 6 options down! Thanks for the heads up though I won't put Firhill down. What's so bad about it?
VBQ
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Stressful situation as i may not hear back from Aberdeen until May, apparently they take ages and given last year's fiasco with the conditionals I may not even get an offer at all. So I may not get my first choices for accommodation. Found out we have to put 6 options down! Thanks for the heads up though I won't put Firhill down. What's so bad about it?
I was in Firhill Court last year, main downsides were the location (it's fairly far from the uni and it's not the best area), however, it's modern and secure!
JennB96
Rep:
?
(Original post by VBQ)
I was in Firhill Court last year, main downsides were the location (it's fairly far from the uni and it's not the best area), however, it's modern and secure!
I heard that some accommodation is not just for GU Students, I would rather not be there, do you know which one this is? I thought it was either Cairncross or Firhill. I should be stressing more about meeting my conditional than accommodation but I just want to have a good first year haha
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Glasgow
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Jun '19
  • University of Glasgow
    Wed, 4 Sep '19
  • University of Glasgow
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (122)
39.74%
No - but I will (16)
5.21%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.51%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (149)
48.53%

Watched Threads