Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello. I am 16 years old, and I will soon be choosing my A-Level choices.
    This is what I have so far:

Physics - Predicted very good GCSE grade, and I have gotten an A* in every assessment so far this year. I am interested in the subject.

Chemistry - Usually get A's, occasionally B's. Interested in the subject.

History - Got an A* in the mock exam, and usually get a A* or A, occassionally B. Semi-interested in the subject, but not in the A-Level topics. I also dislike my probable A-Level teacher.

Media, Pshychology or Politics as my fourth, may drop in second year.

Please advise me, I really need help.

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Ostrava)

Physics - Predicted very good GCSE grade, and I have gotten an A* in every assessment so far this year. I am interested in the subject.

History - Got an A* in the mock exam, and usually get a A* or A, occassionally B. Semi-interested in the subject, but not in the A-Level topics. I also dislike my probable A-Level teacher.

Media, Psychology or Politics as my fourth, may drop in second year.

Do Physics for sure. I'd say take Maths as well. Be aware that Chemistry is a huge step up and probably one of the hardest A-Levels so unless you're getting top grades I'd advise against it. But I don't do Chemistry myself so who knows. I thought I'd dislike the topics for History A-Level but I ended up loving them. I'd say maybe take Psychology, but I think you should do Maths for sure. If you are unsure, do Maths, a science, a humanity and a language.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's recommended to not take Physics unless you are taking Maths as well. I would swap your 4th subject for Maths - all 3 of your 4th choices are "soft", which is fine as it's only one subject, but it seems a good idea to choose Maths.

As there is so much work involved in A levels, enjoyment of the subjects is probably the most important factor in whether you get good grades. Nobody revises for things they don't enjoy. If you aren't that enthused by History, why are you taking it? Don't think that you must only take subjects that you get A*/As in at GCSE. If you want an essay/humanities subject, why not English Literature or Sociology? What about a foreign language - these are HIGHLY sought after by universities (especially UCL!) and employers!

What careers or degrees are you considering doing at university? If you aren't sure what you want to do, I would take 2 sciences including Maths, plus 2 humanities/arts subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ostrava)

Media, Pshychology or Politics as my fourth, may drop in second year.

Do physics and maths for certain. Physics is really easy and you should be okay with an A* at GCSE. Why haven't you considered maths? It's not hard and it's pretty interesting. If you're in for an A/A* in maths GCSE I'd consider further maths too. Chemistry is apparently pretty hard, with lots of people who got A/A*s at GCSE getting Cs and below at AS. Don't do it unless you're really interested/ have a good memory. If you're not interested in the history syllabus, don't take it!
    What do you want to do at university?

ReputationRep:
    You need maths!
    As long as you are getting at least A at GCSE

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.