The Student Room Group

Personal Statement for Research Placement

I've just started my A-levels and has never written a personal statement before. I wanted to apply to a researchplacement I found but it says to include a CV and a personal statement. I've looked online but I couldn't find much help that applies to placements.
Could someone outline the basics and any tips you may have for my specific case. I'd like to know how writing for a researchplacement would differ to writing for a university course.
Thanks.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hiya, I had to write a CV and a PS for a science placement last year. I think the key is to adjust your skills, qualifications and personality so that they apply to the subject are specifically. E.g. I've done DofE I said that it helped me with problem solving and teamwork skills then went on to say how it would be helpful in a science based situation. You also need to include why your interested in the placement (future plans e.t.c ) and why you should be picked. :smile:

CV:
Contact details -name, address, email
Qualifications- GCSEs, music grades, sports awards, courses - official things
Volunteering, jobs
Hobbies and interests within school and out of school and the skills that these show.
Anything extra that you have done.

PS- summary of your achievements in school and out of school and what this shows about your personality and skills set relating it to the placement.
Keep it short and engaging so you really showcase yourself :smile:
You don't need info about your music grades and sports achievements in the qualifications section of your CV. Keep the hobbies and interests short: 2-3 with a focus on relevant skills. The extra bits should only be included if relevant.

The main bits to focus on for the personal statement are: why do you want to do the placement and how will it help you, why are you interested in the subject and what aspects in particular-give examples, what have you done so far to develop your interests in the subject and what skills do you have that will help with the placement.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending