The Student Room Group

hardly getting a maintenance grant?, what the hell

my mum doesn't work and my dad earns exactly 32000 a year. My dad has me and my other siblings to support. After giving student finance my household income couple weeks ago, i received a letter yesterday saying im only entitled to 500 pound grant which doesn't make sense. i was expecting 2000 per year as i used the maintenance grant calculator on their website and 2000 is what it came down to. do you think they will reconsider the amount of grant they gave me?,

this was the grant calculator i used on their website,

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator/y/2014-2015/uk-full-time/9000.0/away-in-london/31980.0/no/none-of-the-above

i filled it out and it said a minimum 2066 maintenance grant.
Original post by mhassan
my mum doesn't work and my dad earns exactly 32000 a year. My dad has me and my other siblings to support. After giving student finance my household income couple weeks ago, i received a letter yesterday saying im only entitled to 500 pound grant which doesn't make sense. i was expecting 2000 per year as i used the maintenance grant calculator on their website and 2000 is what it came down to. do you think they will reconsider the amount of grant they gave me?,

this was the grant calculator i used on their website,

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator/y/2014-2015/uk-full-time/9000.0/away-in-london/31980.0/no/none-of-the-above

i filled it out and it said a minimum 2066 maintenance grant.

It probably is worth contacting them. I'm not entirely sure what other things are factored into calculating the Grant but £500 definitely looks too low. Are you sure that's how much your dad earns pre-tax? The income is assessed from 2013-2014, are you sure he wasn't earning more then?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Chlorophile
It probably is worth contacting them. I'm not entirely sure what other things are factored into calculating the Grant but £500 definitely looks too low. Are you sure that's how much your dad earns pre-tax? The income is assessed from 2013-2014, are you sure he wasn't earning more then?

yeah pre tax. Its weird because my sister received 1500 grant couple years ago and my dad actually earned more that time.
Reply 3
Original post by Chlorophile

student finance only wanted the income from 2012-2013.
Hello,

Yes, it's the 12/13 income we would be using for a 14/15 application. I think the best thing to do would be to give us a call on 0300 100 0607 so we can check your application for you.

If we can't see anything unusual on your account then your Dad can call us so we can check his account to see what income figure we've used, as it may simply be that we have the wrong figure.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending