The Student Room Group

Can't concentrate - HELP

So I'm having trouble with concentrating and focusing on things, and have asked people I know how to concentrate better by taking away all distractions and stuff like that but even when I do, my mind still wanders when trying to revise. Even in class I start daydreaming and missing what teachers say a lot the time.

Are there any tricks people use to help them stay focused and concentrate on things?
Reply 1
Original post by MrKlaus
So I'm having trouble with concentrating and focusing on things, and have asked people I know how to concentrate better by taking away all distractions and stuff like that but even when I do, my mind still wanders when trying to revise. Even in class I start daydreaming and missing what teachers say a lot the time.

Are there any tricks people use to help them stay focused and concentrate on things?

Do things in short bursts. So focus for 10 mins of productive reading, working, revising and then take a 10 mins break. Repeat. Then try to slowly increase the time you're productive for and decrease the number of breaks you take per hour.
Reply 2
I had a similar issue which I resolved by imagining having to go to a met university because I hadn't worked hard enough, that fear quickly helped me get down to work.
Reply 3
Start meditating; it works.

Spend one hour of your free time a day, sat comfortably in quiet meditation. Deep breathing can also help to focus your mind when doing this. Within a week, you'll notice the difference.

I like to think of the mind as a muscle: the more regular work you put in, the stronger it gets. The problem you have is with mental 'endurance' - you can't focus for long periods of time. As a result, you need to actively put yourself in situations that develop this capacity. Meditating does this very well.
Study for 25-45 minutes, take a 5-10 minute break and repeat.
Don't say do ''1 hour chemistry'' say ''Reactions of Alkenes''.
If you can't pay attention well, then maybe your diet is bad... as I increased my fruit and veg intake I noticed I was SOOO alert, I don't daydream anymore!!! I eat 10 portions of fruit and veg and rarely eat sweets and crap.
kiddie coke (ie ritalin/methylphenidate)

Quick Reply

Latest