Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is A Level Maths a big jump from GCSE? (specifically AS)
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    (Original post by student467)
    Is A Level Maths a big jump from GCSE? (specifically AS)
    It's very much subjective - some people find it to be a very hard transition whilst others think it's OK. For me personally, I found the transition very hard at first but then I didn't think it was too bad at all.

ReputationRep:
    I'm finding it pretty tough- I've gone from being an A* GCSE student to getting a U in my Core 1 mock. I probably didn't revise enough but even so I still found it very tough! However, some people might make the step up really easily- I know some of my friends did. If you're willing to work at it then there is no reason why it should be extremely difficult, it's A-levels... They're always going to be harder.
    99.9% certain it'll be the subject I drop after AS.

ReputationRep:
    It depends if you scraped by a good grade at GCSE it may be difficult as there is no scraping by at AS, if you did well confidently then it shouldn't be too bad.

ReputationRep:
    The transition is difficult, not extremely difficult though. If you work hard and just revise then just like anything else you should receive good grades. I got a B at gcse then got A* at a-level, but I did put it a heck load of effort.

A/a* gcse topics are taught within the first chapters of C1 (first module in AS maths), so the rest of the course is relatively new.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think its about how confident you are with Maths. Me and my friend both got A*s at GCSE and we both started AS he dropped it in 2 weeks as he was finding it hard, whilst im finding it reasonable and getting fairly good marks/grades. If you grasp concepts easily then I dont think the jump will be too hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    C1 introduces a lot of new stuff but it's certainly manageable. I did GCSE in year 10 and then FSMQ in year 11 - fsmq covers all but one C1 chapters.

AS really isn't too difficult - C3 trig is when things start to get noticeably trickier!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the step up to AS it that hard- it takes a bit of getting used to though. I got an A* at GCSE and I got an A 277/300 at AS and am predicted A* for A2. The step up from AS to A2 is quite hard as well.

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.