Turn on thread page Beta

I think this is absolutely ridiculous, my mum is paranoid after every little thing that I've not had any light in my bedroom since before summer because something's happened to the wiring or something (I have really no idea) and changing a thousand lightbulbs didn't work.

All the plug sockets in the house don't work now, it's a really old house and so only 3 sockets in the living room work and 3 in my room and none in the other rooms and hallway so everyone crowds into my room to plug their laptops and phones because the ones in the living room are used for tv and kettle etc

My mum's solution, she bought me 2 lamps which costed £100 together and lots of those extension cord things and I swear it's that much just to hire an electrician.

She won't listen to me at all, she won't get anyone or call anyone to help unless they're her friend and she has no electrician friends.
    She said I don't know what kind of people will come to our house, could be rapists, murderers and burglars who are with a well known electrical company or people pretending to work for them.
    "I'm concerned about our safety".

How can I persuade her to just get an electrician, one of my plug sockets is about to go bust because sparks fly out when you plug something in. It's not even the issue of money and paying, she's being paranoid about the workers, they'll steal our things, see who lives in our houses, see our lifestyle, memorise our address, come back and rape us or something.
    I can't get one myself, I've been threatened not to and I'm not home during the day to "oversee" everything in case some stuff gets stolen or whatever and neither is my mum.
    Any advice would be great

ReputationRep:
    If your mum doesn't hate me and would let me into the house then I could prob check it out and see where the problem is and secretly get an electrician to fix it for you when your mum isn't home and you could say it magically got fixed. You tried the switch and it was a miracle that it suddenly works

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by selenerrr__x)
    I think this is absolutely ridiculous, my mum is paranoid after every little thing that I've not had any light in my bedroom since before summer because something's happened to the wiring or something (I have really no idea) and changing a thousand lightbulbs didn't work.

All the plug sockets in the house don't work now, it's a really old house and so only 3 sockets in the living room work and 3 in my room and none in the other rooms and hallway so everyone crowds into my room to plug their laptops and phones because the ones in the living room are used for tv and kettle etc

My mum's solution, she bought me 2 lamps which costed £100 together and lots of those extension cord things and I swear it's that much just to hire an electrician.

She won't listen to me at all, she won't get anyone or call anyone to help unless they're her friend and she has no electrician friends.
    She said I don't know what kind of people will come to our house, could be rapists, murderers and burglars who are with a well known electrical company or people pretending to work for them.
    "I'm concerned about our safety".

How can I persuade her to just get an electrician, one of my plug sockets is about to go bust because sparks fly out when you plug something in. It's not even the issue of money and paying, she's being paranoid about the workers, they'll steal out things, see who lives in our houses, see our lifestyle, memorise or address, come back and rape us or something.
    I can't get one myself, I've been threatened not to and I'm not home during the to "oversee" everything in case some stuff gets stolen or whatever and neither is my mum.
    Any advice would be great

I'm an apprentice electrician in my 3rd year, sounds to me your house is housing dangerous electrical faults, it may need a re-wire. very expensive and time consuming job.

if you don't get it sorted you or another relative could die due to electric shock

(Original post by Smiley face. YAY)
    I'm an apprentice electrician in my 3rd year, sounds to me your house is housing dangerous electrical faults, it may need a re-wire. very expensive and time consuming job.

if you don't get it sorted you or another relative could die due to electric shock
    Just how expensive would this be? I know absolutely nothing about electrics and my mum is just not listening to me at all. I think about a few years ago I zapped myself and learnt not to use a certain plug socket but my mum doesn't care, "there's a solution to everything" which is pay for lamps and stuff instead of taking care of the actual problem

(Original post by jadys10)
    If your mum doesn't hate me and would let me into the house then I could prob check it out and see where the problem is and secretly get an electrician to fix it for you when your mum isn't home and you could say it magically got fixed. You tried the switch and it was a miracle that it suddenly works
    I'll have to skip sch and it'll have to be 8-4 no later and no evidence left

ReputationRep:
    I'll have to skip sch and it'll have to be 8-4 no later and no evidence left
    Thursday when you don't have english anymore. Any evidence like a screwdriver? Do you have any fixing tools/kits at home?

ReputationRep:
    checkatrade.com from cowboy builders might be worth a try...

(Original post by jadys10)
    Thursday when you don't have english anymore. Any evidence like a screwdriver? Do you have any fixing tools/kits at home?
    Evidence like if I secretly hire an electrician, it has to be done within that time frame and things can't be left about like tools, lightbulbs, wires etc

ReputationRep:
    Tell your mom to ask if any of her friends/relatives have used an electrician. If they have then she might see that they haven't done anything to them so you're safe?

ReputationRep:
    Just how expensive would this be? I know absolutely nothing about electrics and my mum is just not listening to me at all. I think about a few years ago I zapped myself and learnt not to use a certain plug socket but my mum doesn't care, "there's a solution to everything" which is pay for lamps and stuff instead of taking care of the actual problem
    It will depend on many things, but it will be worth it. You really need your mums' approval, she will need to have done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smiley face. YAY)

QFT.

Could even start a fire.

ReputationRep:
    I think your mum needs to see a doctor, she sounds paranoid to me.

(Original post by JC.)
    QFT.

Could even start a fire.
    She thinks it's more likely we'll be kidnapped/raped/burgled than a fire happening from broken wiring, we've lived like this for months and I've snapped at her so many times and been screamed at for "not thinking of our safety".

ReputationRep:
    She thinks it's more likely we'll be kidnapped/raped/burgled than a fire happening from broken wiring, we've lived like this for months and I've snapped at her so many times and been screamed at for "not thinking of our safety".
    Just book someone to come round and sort it and then book her an appointment with a dr.

ReputationRep:

about this expensive or perhaps even 3 of these depending on a few thins such as the size of your house.
    but if you know somebody who could do it for you than perhaps only as expensive as one of these used cars

but regardless of the price, get it fixed before some of you or all of you end up dead

ReputationRep:
    Are you still doing your GCSE's? It sounds as though you are not living in good conditions. Please try speaking to someone at school about this as they may be able to liaise with a reputable electrician and your mother. That way, someone trustworthy (i.e the school) will be able to help take care of things as they will obviously be concerned about this too.

They may also be able to help seek medical help for your mother as I do not see this irrational fear of hers to be normal.

ReputationRep:
    A fire due to an electrical fault is actually extremely unlikely. Usually, when you hear of these things in the news - some huge building burning down due to electrical fault - it's a euphemism for not knowing the cause.

If half the circuits in the house aren't working - that is indicative of problems, though. Could be a lot of things, although old wiring is also unlikely to be the cause. Unless it's really old - like 60 years or more, with cloth insulated conductors, it's very unlikely to spontaneously degrade. Could be the fittings are old, most likely the consumer unit has a load (no pun) of faults.

However, without the consent of the homeowner, there's not a lot you can do. Get some extension leads - as long as they're individually fused, you're not really going to cause problems, and buy yourself a lamp.

Some people are just strange about electrical supply. Not a lot you can do, and I don't realistically see you getting your mother sectioned.

As for cost - a rewire might be between £3-6000 (at the bottom end) depending on the size of your house and where you live. This is rarely necessary. You probably have duff fittings and/or a bad consumer unit - but that's for an electrician to determine on site.

(Original post by AlconH)
    Are you still doing your GCSE's? It sounds as though you are not living in good conditions. Please try speaking to someone at school about this as they may be able to liaise with a reputable electrician and your mother. That way, someone trustworthy (i.e the school) will be able to help take care of things as they will obviously be concerned about this too.

They may also be able to help seek medical help for your mother as I do not see this irrational fear of hers to be normal.
    Last year of a levels and she says I'll survive as I'll be in uni next yr and living on campus

ReputationRep:
    Your mum is an idiot. Maybe link her this thread? Tell her she needs to see a doctor if she's so paranoid that she's putting off essential maintenance. If one of my family members got an electric shock off a socket I'd grow the **** up and get someone in to fix it.

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you have full home insurance, leave some faulty switches on before you go out, and "accidentally" leave the gas on. Problem solved.

Protip: only do this if it's a detached house and you know someone will spot the fire and call the fire brigade

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.