Turn on thread page Beta

I'm in year 12, I've known this girl since primary but we became better friends in year 8 and we used to hang out with some other girls. The other girls go to different sixth forms.

I have no other friends in year 12 so I just eat and sit with her at lunch. We are not close and do not talk much about personal stuff. I also find then whenever she texts me its about homework helps, its never 'how are you', its just 'whats the chemistry hw x' lol? Also, your probably wondering why I don't text her friendly stuff... well on her birthday I sent her a text saying ''Happy birthday!xxx' but she didn't reply? Also, on my birthday she did not even send me a message... not sure how to feel about this. My b-day was on a saturday but tbh she did give me a gift and say happy birthday on the following monday (probably because i gave her a present).

Anyway, the reason why I think she wants me to do badly at A levels is because
    -She got better GCSE grades than me- however, on results day she told me she got Bs/A's in some subjects but now she's saying she got C's/B's ... so she lies about her results to seem smarter than me.
    Anyway, now that I am doing better at A level than her she seems threatened because...
    -She always asks me how many revision notes I've done.
    -I was studying at lunch once and she was about to do homework, she realised she left it at home and tried to get me to stop studying

THIS IS THE WORST REASON: A few weeks ago she said shes not going to do exam papers till a few weeks to the exam and theres no point and I shouldn't bother as I will run out of papers to do. I literally saw her doing some exam papers in the library last week!!!!!!!!! she knows they are the best for revision, so she tries to get me not to do them!!!

Any advice? Should I stay friends? What should I do when she texts me for homework help?

ReputationRep:
    major snakes out here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    We are not close and do not talk much about personal stuff.
    Enough reason to cut her off.

ReputationRep:
    Just gradually distance yourself from her. Strike up conversations with people in your classes and maybe ask them if they want to sit with you at lunch.

ReputationRep:
    She sounds like a bit of a Smaug!

ReputationRep:
    Women..

ReputationRep:
    You're saying you don't have any other friends, so if I were you I would just stick with her until the end of year 13. Try to make other friends in the meanwhile.

Sixth form isn't a very long time- as soon as you're done you'll be never have to see her again. Just focus on your studies and use your "friend" as motivation to work harder.

(Original post by shawn_o1)
    Enough reason to cut her off.
    I know, what I noticed with other girlfriends in the past is we talked about personal stuff... its like I barely know her. Shes like this with a lot of people, shes not open and shes just not very fun and I feel like she drains me.
    Our lunch is 1hr and we probably talk for 10 minutes, then she sits there blank. Whatever she brings to the convo is TV or Homework.

(Original post by Tarte Tatin)
    Just gradually distance yourself from her. Strike up conversations with people in your classes and maybe ask them if they want to sit with you at lunch.

Yeah, I've started to talk to other girls- and theres this girl I've noticed in my Chem class that has no friends and I've starting talking to her and she's nice and interesting lol!

(Original post by SteelCookie)
    Women..
    I know haha! Much easier being a man, most guys wouldn't care if a friend did this I think. I'm just sensitive though.

(Original post by daisychain_)
    You're saying you don't have any other friends, so if I were you I would just stick with her until the end of year 13. Try to make other friends in the meanwhile.

Sixth form isn't a very long time- as soon as you're done you'll be never have to see her again. Just focus on your studies and use your "friend" as motivation to work harder.
    Shes just so annoying! Our lunch is 1 hour and she only talks to me for 5 minutes about homework.

But yeah, I do focus on studies. The fact she wants me to fail is making me sad though.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I've started to talk to other girls- and theres this girl I've noticed in my Chem class that has no friends and I've starting talking to her and she's nice and interesting lol!
    That's good to hear; all you need to now is just give it time

Any more help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellodave5)
    She sounds like a bit of a Smaug!
    You seem familiar with my name, but I don't remember smelling your kind before. Who are you and where do you come from, may I ask?

(Original post by SmaugTheTerrible)
    major snakes out here
    I know. What do you suggest I do?
    1. Deal with it till end of year 13.
    2. Make new friends and drift away from her- even though she has no one else.

Also- I became friends with these girls at the start of the year and she sat with us. The other girls did not like her and found it weird how all she did was sit there and not say much.

ReputationRep:
    I know. What do you suggest I do?
    1. Deal with it till end of year 13.
    2. Make new friends and drift away from her- even though she has no one else.

Also- I became friends with these girls at the start of the year and she sat with us. The other girls did not like her and found it weird how all she did was sit there and not say much.
    Don't do anything. Don't stoop to her level and talk bad behind her back. Just get on with your life and distance yourself for her. Don't take it too seriously and work hard to get good results.

ReputationRep:
    No - distance yourself from her she's obviously using you.

ReputationRep:
    She obviously has major personal problems. She probably thinks she is going to fail and wants someone else to do so as well.

(Original post by SmaugTheTerrible)
    Don't do anything. Don't stoop to her level and talk bad behind her back. Just get on with your life and distance yourself for her. Don't take it too seriously and work hard to get good results.
    Noooo! I would never talk bad behind her back!!! Only mentioned bad things on tsr and its anonymous.

(Original post by Safiya122)
    No - distance yourself from her she's obviously using you.
    Thanks for help.

I will do so, any advice how? Its not easy haha

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 1, 2014
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.