What do you feel when you listen to this music? Watch

Birkenhead
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Opera is not a popular music taste for the age group this site caters to. I am not a snob - in fact I am always afraid of appearing pretentious when I tell my peers I enjoy it myself - but I am baffled by the monopoly of contemporary music in the iPods and Mp3s of young people. I wondered whether a large part of this might be that some who might otherwise enjoy opera have simply not been exposed to enough of it to sow the seeds of interest. It may also be possible that the unpopularity of such music in our age group, where music is such a major tool in the sharing of interests and the formation of friendships, has discouraged some from wading in to it for fear of isolation or even positive exclusion.

Spoilered below are a few slices of Italian comic opera from my favourite operas: La Cenerentola, Il Viaggio a Reims and Semiramide. Please help yourself and share what you get from the music. Listen to as many or as few of them as you'd like, but don't be surprised if you don't enjoy individual links without listening for the full duration as opera, especially Rossini, requires this for maximum effect. It would be even more interesting if contributions were made with reference specific to the individual links.

What I get from this music most of all is some vague energy, buoyancy, optimism, electricity...some almighty force of goodness that pulsates through my entire body and refreshes my mental strength. I don't fully understand it, clearly, and perhaps by listening to others' experiences I will also be able to better understand my own.

Grazie

Spoiler:
Show

German123
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sometimes i feel a sense of relief.
inachigeek21
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Birkenhead)
Opera is not a popular music taste for the age group this site caters to. I am not a snob - in fact I am always afraid of appearing pretentious when I tell my peers I enjoy it myself - but I am baffled by the monopoly of contemporary music in the iPods and Mp3s of young people. I wondered whether a large part of this might be that some who might otherwise enjoy opera have simply not been exposed to enough of it to sow the seeds of interest. It may also be possible that the unpopularity of such music in our age group, where music is such a major tool in the sharing of interests and the formation of friendships, has discouraged some from wading in to it for fear of isolation or even positive exclusion.

Spoilered below are a few slices of Italian comic opera from my favourite operas: La Cenerentola, Il Viaggio a Reims and Semiramide. Please help yourself and share what you get from the music. Listen to as many or as few of them as you'd like, but don't be surprised if you don't enjoy individual links without listening for the full duration as opera, especially Rossini, requires this for maximum effect. It would be even more interesting if contributions were made with reference specific to the individual links.

What I get from this music most of all is some vague energy, buoyancy, optimism, electricity...some almighty force of goodness that pulsates through my entire body and refreshes my mental strength. I don't fully understand it, clearly, and perhaps by listening to others' experiences I will also be able to better understand my own.

Grazie
May I ask you something OP...? How old are you?
Don't get me wrong OP, opera is a fantastic style of music, the tone and pitches, the emotions they speak through such powerful words is entirely magnetic. There is always a possibility that I shall favour the moments of opera, but in my preference, classical music is rather sublime just as well.
I mean, La Notte by Antonio Vivaldi is absolutely magnificent, the beginning of La Notte dictates my emotions and creates these minuscule connections and to contemplate the perplexity of my own life, humanity and Earth.
Seasons as well, as it leaves one speechless (can just be me in general).
Opera is never to be a reason for one to be pretentious, if so, one must be foolish to create that implication from senseless judgement.
Birkenhead
Rep:
?
(Original post by inachigeek21)
May I ask you something OP...? How old are you?
I am twenty.

Don't get me wrong OP, opera is a fantastic style of music, the tone and pitches, the emotions they speak through such powerful words is entirely magnetic. There is always a possibility that I shall favour the moments of opera, but in my preference, classical music is rather sublime just as well.
I mean, La Notte by Antonio Vivaldi is absolutely magnificent, the beginning of La Notte dictates my emotions and creates these minuscule connections and to contemplate the perplexity of my own life, humanity and Earth.
Seasons as well, as it leaves one speechless (can just be me in general).
I wasn't trying to say opera was somehow better than classical music (as far as I was aware it was part of it!). I haven't heard of 'La Notte' - is there any information you can link me to?

Opera is never to be a reason for one to be pretentious, if so, one must be foolish to create that implication from senseless judgement.
I don't understand what you're saying here - are you calling me pretentious?
Birkenhead
Rep:
?
(Original post by German123)
Sometimes i feel a sense of relief.
That's interesting - could you expand a bit?
German123
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That's interesting - could you expand a bit?
Well the lyrics seem to comfort me.
inachigeek21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I am twenty.

I wasn't trying to say opera was somehow better than classical music (as far as I was aware it was part of it!). I haven't heard of 'La Notte' - is there any information you can link me to?

I don't understand what you're saying here - are you calling me pretentious?
Ah.
I most certainly can.
http://www.flutetunes.com/tunes.php?id=604
http://imslp.org/wiki/Flute_Concerto...di,_Antonio%29

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2etXORS5S0
And lastly, no.
I was trying to say that no conclusions shall be created from one listening to classical (opera) - they should not be called pretentious.
Yeah dude
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I feel happy, a lot of songs make me realise that things get better when it's not going to plan, only if it's an upbeat song though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Birkenhead
Rep:
?
(Original post by Yeah dude)
I feel happy, a lot of songs make me realise that things get better when it's not going to plan, only if it's an upbeat song though

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was referring more to the sort of music I spoilered. I'm interested because not many young people seem to listen to it.
Birkenhead
Rep:
?
(Original post by inachigeek21)
Ah.
I most certainly can.
http://www.flutetunes.com/tunes.php?id=604
http://imslp.org/wiki/Flute_Concerto...di,_Antonio%29

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2etXORS5S0
And lastly, no.
I was trying to say that no conclusions shall be created from one listening to classical (opera) - they should not be called pretentious.
No, I agree, but it is easier said than done when so many in our age group see it as a purposefully maladaptive choice of music, designed to impress. At least that's the feeling I get. Thank you for the link. Did you listen to any of the spoilered music?
Birkenhead
Rep:
?
(Original post by German123)
Well the lyrics seem to comfort me.
I see...are you talking about opera?
white boy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
afraid of appearing pretentious..

"Grazie"

ps. i don't like opera at all
spanker
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I prefer stuff like this instead:
Birkenhead
Rep:
?
(Original post by white boy)
afraid of appearing pretentious..

"Grazie"

ps. i don't like opera at all
Goodness. I'd never considered how pretentious languages students at my university must be.

Thank you for your valuable contribution.
white boy
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Goodness. I'd never considered how pretentious languages students at my university must be.

Thank you for your valuable contribution.
you're not a language student and we're not Italian.

my "valuable contribution" as you put it is exactly what you asked for. i told you how i feel about opera.

-

Grazie
German123
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I see...are you talking about opera?
Nope.
Birkenhead
Rep:
?
you're not a language student and we're not Italian.

my "valuable contribution" as you put it is exactly what you asked for. i told you how i feel about opera.

-

Grazie
I actually asked you what you feel when you listen to the sort of music I posted.

Technically I am a language student, but I don't understand why you have to be either of those things to use foreign vocabulary.
Birkenhead
Rep:
?
(Original post by spanker)
I prefer stuff like this instead:
Interesting stuff. Do you know what they're saying?
white boy
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I actually asked you what you feel when you listen to the sort of music I posted.

Technically I am a language student, but I don't understand why you have to be either of those things to use foreign vocabulary.
tbh i listened to about 3 seconds of one of the videos and it reminded me of how i don't like opera

i also don't care at all what language you use it just amused me that you would open a post indicating that you didn't like to look pretentious and close the post with "Grazie".

Gracias
Birkenhead
Rep:
?
tbh i listened to about 3 seconds of one of the videos and it reminded me of how i don't like opera

i also don't care at all what language you use it just amused me that you would open a post indicating that you didn't like to look pretentious and close the post with "Grazie".

Gracias
I don't see how it is pretentious to humourously sign off in the language being used in the music.

Please exit the thread.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (129)
38.62%
No - but I will (19)
5.69%
No - I don't want to (25)
7.49%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (161)
48.2%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise