Dealing with homesickness Watch

S1elyak1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I went home for the weekend because I was feeling really homesick. I haven't even left my house yet to go back to uni but the thought of it makes me feel so bad. I've been crying on and off since Friday night about going back. I hate my course, made only 1 friend on my course and I think she's only my friend brcause we live together. Everyone is picking people to live with next year and I hdvr no one to ask and no idea what to do. I'm in a weird situation with a flatmate and my mum is being so unsympathetic.
stoltguyboo
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Just think of it like this , you are only there for a little while and once you've done you can go into a wonderful career with a great life and job just stick it out girl
User1214833
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Why are they picking people to live with now?
S1elyak1
Rep:
?
(Original post by qwertyking)
Because there's two university's in my City and mine alone has 35,000 students in and most houses have gone already for next year!
Helloworld_95
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey, I was in a similar situation to you this time last year in terms of homesickness, difference being that I couldn't go home, whether that makes it better or worse I'm not sure but I did end up leaving a week earlier for this term. The fact is the first term is too long (especially at Sheffield which I think you go to as well?). It'll get better over the next few terms and in refreshers after exams you can start joining societies as there'll be a few new people starting. If you want to talk about it more then feel free to PM me

(Original post by qwertyking)
From what I remember, she goes to Sheffield and you need to get houses very early here.

edit: might have remembered wrong
Going_To_California
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I know that moving to university is really difficult, especially when your course/ halls aren't what you'd imagined them to be. University is hyped up so much that anything other than the best 3 years of your life would be a disappointment, and I think many people struggle to adapt, I certainly did.
Housing is always a pain, don't rush into anything just for the sake of it, as you won't end up homeless. You might end up living with people not from your halls, course in the end, and this can sometimes be a good way to meet new people.

You mentioned hating your course, what exactly is it you're unhappy with?

It's really tough that your mum isn't supportive about how you're feeling when I was struggling, my parents suggested I drop out, but I never wanted to drop out, I kept in mind that it would get better and it definitely has. If you are so unhappy, though, there is the possibility of moving halls, changing course, even changing uni, so don't feel like you're stuck.

Feel free to PM me, I think I can relate
hellodave5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Stay in the student accommodation. It's no worries. Just make more of an effort with course mates, and join some extra curriculars
LavenderBlueSky88
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey first year can be weird. You're thrown in with a bunch of people and there's so much pressure to have "the time of your life". I was very lucky both times and it just sort of worked out. Though I did have a few issues with housemates and finding somewhere to live first time round so I know the feeling of everything being so uncertain. I know it seems like a huge deal right now but even at the very worst scenario you'll just have to move in with girls (or boys) you don't know yet: I know loads of people who ended up doing this because they couldn't find a group or friendships broke down.

Does your one friend have a group to move in with? Might be worth asking and seeing if you can tag along with her. I only had one proper friend in first year and ended up moving in with her and 3 of her course mates I'd never met: by the time I left I was better friends with her course mates than her!

It sounds corny but everything usually works out. I've never really known anyone to be miserable the whole way through university. If it gets to the end of the year and you still aren't feeling settled or still find your course a problem then perhaps look into changes universities or switching courses. Otherwise, just take it a week at a time and plan things to look forward to at weekends/holidays.
Wimbs
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You could always stay in halls in your second year. If you are the person in your picture, you are an attractive girl and maybe you should get a boyfriend lol! Then everything will change!

It is annoying how people trot out that uni is the best time of your life - for me it was a ****ing struggle but I got my degree in the end.
justanotherposter
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Have you joined any societies? I don't have any friends on my course but I've got plenty outside of it, societies are a much better place to make friends than your course.
Chris22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Staying in halls and going in with new people is a good idea. Just because you didn't click with your first set of flatmates, doesn't mean you won't with your second. I didn't have any friends in first year, stayed in halls with new people for second year and from then I've had a fantastic time at Uni
S1elyak1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Helloworld_95)
Hey, I was in a similar situation to you this time last year in terms of homesickness, difference being that I couldn't go home, whether that makes it better or worse I'm not sure but I did end up leaving a week earlier for this term. The fact is the first term is too long (especially at Sheffield which I think you go to as well?). It'll get better over the next few terms and in refreshers after exams you can start joining societies as there'll be a few new people starting. If you want to talk about it more then feel free to PM me

From what I remember, she goes to Sheffield and you need to get houses very early here.

edit: might have remembered wrong
Yeah I live in sheffield. Our first term is from 22nd September to 19th December which is really long and I don't have a reading week until after christmas!

Yeah you do, my flatmate has spoken to an estate agent and she said that she's hardly got any left.
S1elyak1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Wimbs)
You could always stay in halls in your second year. If you are the person in your picture, you are an attractive girl and maybe you should get a boyfriend lol! Then everything will change!

It is annoying how people trot out that uni is the best time of your life - for me it was a ****ing struggle but I got my degree in the end.
I'm considering it but I'm already older than some people here already so that kind of puts me off. Thank you, I'm trying but the person I like isn't sure if he wants a relationship.

Aww, at least you got there in the end though.
Helloworld_95
  • Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by kayleighisonfire)
Yeah I live in sheffield. Our first term is from 22nd September to 19th December which is really long and I don't have a reading week until after christmas!

Yeah you do, my flatmate has spoken to an estate agent and she said that she's hardly got any left.
Yeah I'm at Uni of Sheffield and our terms are similar if not the same, although I lucked out and did have a reading week. Thankfully the Spring term is only 10 weeks and Summer is 7 so they're not as bad in terms of homesickness. Similar housing situation too, just finalised mine a week ago but from what I hear it really does depend on the estate agent as some will release more houses after the new year..

If worst comes to worst, there are usually a few studios or one beds around until quite late, even if that means renting non-student accommodation.
S1elyak1
Rep:
?
Yeah I'm at Uni of Sheffield and our terms are similar if not the same, although I lucked out and did have a reading week. Thankfully the Spring term is only 10 weeks and Summer is 7 so they're not as bad in terms of homesickness. Similar housing situation too, just finalised mine a week ago but from what I hear it really does depend on the estate agent as some will release more houses after the new year..

If worst comes to worst, there are usually a few studios or one beds around until quite late, even if that means renting non-student accommodation.
Yeah think yours could be the same because didn't we have the same freshers week? Yeah the next terms aren't that bad. Luckily my course finishes in the last week of April so I don't have that long left.

Yeah they might. Been looking at one bed but they're around £180 a week and I can't afford that!
Helloworld_95
  • Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by kayleighisonfire)
Yeah think yours could be the same because didn't we have the same freshers week? Yeah the next terms aren't that bad. Luckily my course finishes in the last week of April so I don't have that long left.

Yeah they might. Been looking at one bed but they're around £180 a week and I can't afford that!
Yeah we had the same freshers week, although I think some Hallam courses have slightly different term dates.

I think you're looking in the wrong place then, if you look around there are a few places in the £400-£450 per month range, maybe a little more with utilities, would work out to about £110 per week, could even be less overall if you don't rent during the summer. Look at Velocity village, I know they do some cheap studio apartments and they're quite close to the city centre.
S1elyak1
Rep:
?
Yeah we had the same freshers week, although I think some Hallam courses have slightly different term dates.

I think you're looking in the wrong place then, if you look around there are a few places in the £400-£450 per month range, maybe a little more with utilities, would work out to about £110 per week, could even be less overall if you don't rent during the summer. Look at Velocity village, I know they do some cheap studio apartments and they're quite close to the city centre.

Ooh thanks, I will definitely take a look.
Rlove95
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Wimbs)

The logic...
Wimbs
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Interesting how the unsympathetics come on here in the early hours of Monday! Have you not got lectures at 9am?
Wimbs
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thankyou Kayleigh - you could always try other blokes if the one you fancy isn't ready for anything serious! Its December now so not long until Christmas!

PS Titanic - Im sure many people at Uni live charmed lives, are enjoying it and have never had any major life challenges to deal with. Good for you. But please don't come and kick those of us that are down. Karma will get you one day.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (443)
37.83%
No - but I will (88)
7.51%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (560)
47.82%

Watched Threads