Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I have been working at a small firm of accountants down in Southampton for nearly a year now, and I have been doing largely accounts prep work with the occasional audit. I have decided accounts prep is not really for me and I am basically just wondering if there is any way I could do the rest of my ACA contract in a firm where I am doing purely audit, is that possible?

Accounts prep is pretty miserable work and if I could just do audit (something I much prefer) I would certainly be a lot happier.

I should also make it clear that (not to bring myself down) I would be looking at small to medium size firms to join here for such a position, as I am not really within reach of big 4 etc

Any advice would be really appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Look for part qualified job ads, companies do take people on half way through a qualification (which is where you seem to be). I think I even saw EY had an ad up for this.

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible then to do the whole ACA without doing any accounts prep work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mike567)
    Is it possible then to do the whole ACA without doing any accounts prep work?
    Yes. Many do the entire ACA in audit or tax for example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mike567)
    Hey,

I have been working at a small firm of accountants down in Southampton for nearly a year now, and I have been doing largely accounts prep work with the occasional audit. I have decided accounts prep is not really for me and I am basically just wondering if there is any way I could do the rest of my ACA contract in a firm where I am doing purely audit, is that possible?

Accounts prep is pretty miserable work and if I could just do audit (something I much prefer) I would certainly be a lot happier.

I should also make it clear that (not to bring myself down) I would be looking at small to medium size firms to join here for such a position, as I am not really within reach of big 4 etc

Any advice would be really appreciated!
    The audit threshold has been increasing substantially over the past few years. The current rules are here:

https://www.gov.uk/audit-exemptions-...ited-companies

This means that a lot of even quite sizeable local firms have few clients requiring audit.

On the other hand, there are quite small firms who offer a wide range of services to their clients (accounts, tax, planning, credits/benefits etc). You might find this type of integrated work more interesting. Have a word with a local recruitment agency and get their view on the local market.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.