?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Anyone done/doing it? What's it like?
Tyler Bam
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey, just giving this thread a bump :bump: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific university or course forum should help you get more responses. :yy:

If you haven’t already found it, then university connect is a really useful way for finding people at your course/university! You can also find a list of applicant threads and courses here.
dondo97
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I got a conditional offer from Warwick for PPE, i heard that contrary to Oxford, Warwick employs a bridge system, which highlights the interrelatedness of the course. It sounds pretty good to me. Plus last year the economics department got ranked 1st in the country.
constanzev
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Morrisseya)
Anyone done/doing it? What's it like?
Hey,

I'm a first year doing PPE at Warwick at the moment. It's a good course and I really enjoy some of my lectures (I don't really like Philosophy that much though... but that's also because I don't like Philosophy that much).. I love how you learn stuff in one module and can apply it in some others as well.. The only thing really annoying is that we take 30 CATS more than most other courses on campus, so we have quite a lot of work to do..
If you have any questions just let me know, as I don't really know what else to say or what you want to know :-)
dondo97
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by constanzev)
Hey,

I'm a first year doing PPE at Warwick at the moment. It's a good course and I really enjoy some of my lectures (I don't really like Philosophy that much though... but that's also because I don't like Philosophy that much).. I love how you learn stuff in one module and can apply it in some others as well.. The only thing really annoying is that we take 30 CATS more than most other courses on campus, so we have quite a lot of work to do..
If you have any questions just let me know, as I don't really know what else to say or what you want to know :-)
Hey,

That sounds good, i am not that interested in philosophy either mostly just economics and politics, do students have the option to drop one of the branches of PPE in the second or third year? Also what is a CAT?
nlala97
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey,

Hello! I am a Warwick PPE offer holder at the moment for entry in October 2015. Was just wondering if possible if you could post more information regarding the PPE course structure in the first year in terms of modules taken? Which ones did you take and which ones did you like the most? How has the workload been in the first year so far and how is it compared to high school? Lastly, how many contact hours are there usually per week?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, would greatly appreciate any information!
Ibac
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi guys,
it's the first time I write here, i'm Ignazio, an italian student!
I'm 17 and next year I would like to apply to uk universities. My marks are high, I will probably pass the Italian Maturitá with 100/100cumlaude or above. I wanted to apply to some top uni such as Oxford, Lse, Ucl, Warwick and King's for PPE, what do you think about it? Am I too Ambitious? Are these uni good for ppe?
Did you do interviews?
Ps I'm even head boy and did lots of other activities
dondo97
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Ibac)
Hi guys,
it's the first time I write here, i'm Ignazio, an italian student!
I'm 17 and next year I would like to apply to uk universities. My marks are high, I will probably pass the Italian Maturitá with 100/100cumlaude or above. I wanted to apply to some top uni such as Oxford, Lse, Ucl, Warwick and King's for PPE, what do you think about it? Am I too Ambitious? Are these uni good for ppe?
Did you do interviews?
Ps I'm even head boy and did lots of other activities

Hi would you be applying for the 2015 intake or 2016 intake? if you are applying for uni this year you have 4 days to submit your application to UCAS, and the oxbridge deadline has passed too . I applied to Oxford, Warwick, York, Durham, and Manchester. I got an offer from everywhere except Oxford, no-body wanted an interview. I applied with my IB predicted grades.
I think your chocies are good, they are all top unis for PPE, however UCL and LSE require higher level mathematics with an 'A' grade. For Oxford, you are required to take a TSA exam in November, i recommend you study for this, because some of the questions can be tricky.
Hope this helps
Ibac
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by dondo97)
Hi would you be applying for the 2015 intake or 2016 intake? if you are applying for uni this year you have 4 days to submit your application to UCAS, and the oxbridge deadline has passed too . I applied to Oxford, Warwick, York, Durham, and Manchester. I got an offer from everywhere except Oxford, no-body wanted an interview. I applied with my IB predicted grades.
I think your chocies are good, they are all top unis for PPE, however UCL and LSE require higher level mathematics with an 'A' grade. For Oxford, you are required to take a TSA exam in November, i recommend you study for this, because some of the questions can be tricky.
Hope this helps
I'm applying for 2016! Still on time fortunately
However I'm attending the italian Diploma, so I think they will ask me other type of things.
Do you think its tougher to get an offer from LSE or Oxford?
constanzev
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by dondo97)
Hey,

That sounds good, i am not that interested in philosophy either mostly just economics and politics, do students have the option to drop one of the branches of PPE in the second or third year? Also what is a CAT?
Yep, I'll get rid of philosophy as soon as i can
Basically you have quite a lot of choice, you can keep all three in the second year or drop one. Also you have the option to do a focus on economics and get a BSc, only if you're good enough in maths though
CAT are points awarded for how many modules you take and how much work you have for each of them.. if that makes any sense haha :-)
constanzev
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by nlala97)
Hello! I am a Warwick PPE offer holder at the moment for entry in October 2015. Was just wondering if possible if you could post more information regarding the PPE course structure in the first year in terms of modules taken? Which ones did you take and which ones did you like the most? How has the workload been in the first year so far and how is it compared to high school? Lastly, how many contact hours are there usually per week?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, would greatly appreciate any information!
Alright, I'll try to answer this as detailed and helpful as possible..
First of all, Warwick sees PPE as a very prestigious course, so we have 30 CATS more than most of the other courses.. Meaning that we have one module more than everyone else. Unfortunately, there is not a lot of choice in the first year. You have to take Introduction to Politics, Introduction to Philosophy, Economics 1, Quantitative techniques and you can choose one optional module.
Intro to Politics: I really like our lecturer, he's quite funny and the topics are really interesting. The module is basically giving you an overview of what politics is about (topics include democracy, ideology, Marxism, Nationalism, pressure groups, social media, etc.)
Intro to PHilosophy: The lectures are quite boring to be honest. We change lecturers quite often (different topics are covered by different lecturers).. It started off quite well but got worse haha. Topics include Epistemology, Political Philosophy, Moral Philosophy, etc.
Economics 1: The first term was microeconomics and now we just started Macro. Our first term lecturer was really good (!!) and he posted loads of information online so we could work with it. I only had one lecture with the macroeconomics guy so far, but i really enjoyed it as well!! Basically the best lecture i had in my uni life so far haha... I guess there's a reason why warwick is ranked so highly for economics
Quantitative Techniques: This module has three components.. In the first term we had Maths (you can choose between easy and difficult maths). I chose the harder course and it was really challenging but worth it i think! i really didn't like the lecturer though, he's really arrogant. Now we started Statstistics... That lecturer is a lot better haha. The third component ist computing and data analysis and that is quite boring but necessary to do all the graphs and stuff we'll need for econometrics next year

My optional module is spanish and I really enjoy it :-) Basically you can choose any option from any department (as long as that department accepts you) that is worth 30 CATS.
The workload is definitively doable, although it might be a little bit more than other courses have. Also depends highly on whether you choose the easy or the difficult maths course haha.
I think i actually have less work than i did at school, but I did IB, so i don't think you can really compare it to A-levels.. I haven't been overwhelmed yet though! There's like one essay per term for philosophy, one essay per term for politics and then there is more work for eco modules haha :-)
We have around 15 contact hours this term I think Most of us have two days off a week (depends on your options) and it is REALLY NICE also ppe does not tend to have many 9am lectures which is nice as well

Let me know if you have any more questions and i hope this helped
constanzev
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Ibac)
I'm applying for 2016! Still on time fortunately
However I'm attending the italian Diploma, so I think they will ask me other type of things.
Do you think its tougher to get an offer from LSE or Oxford?
As far as I am aware it shouldn't be any problem for Oxford.. I'm not sure about LSE though. Oxford places the most importance on the interview anyways
Ibac
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
As far as I am aware it shouldn't be any problem for Oxford.. I'm not sure about LSE though. Oxford places the most importance on the interview anyways
Are you a PPE student?
constanzev
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Ibac)
Are you a PPE student?
yes, at Warwick :-)
pindama
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
yes, at Warwick :-)
Hi there, I am thinking of applying to Warwick for PPE but don't have A Level Maths (it says on the website that this is acceptable as long as you have an A grade at GCSE). I was wondering how intense the maths in the course is and how many modules focused on maths you have to do per year - i.e. in the first year, if I was to get an offer and chose easy maths, is that doable without A Level Maths? While I don't take maths I do take Chemistry which is fairly maths-based.
Also, is the Econometrics module in 2nd year compulsory or only for students that picked the more difficult maths route?
Thanks in advance
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Jun '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (213)
39.23%
No - but I will (38)
7%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.63%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (256)
47.15%

Watched Threads