A-level English students: Help a Year 11 Watch

Helfus
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi I'm in year 11 and our sixth form choices have to be in for next week. I'm definitely doing English Literature, Sociology and Theatre Studies. I was thinking of English Language for the other but is two English's a bit boring? Is doing two likely to be confusing? Are both subjects clearly different?

Thanks in advance.
Safiya122
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No I don't think it's boring at all. My friend did this and she found doing both - very enjoyable. They're relatively different because English language of course focuses on things like language, how persuasion takes place, grammar etc whereas English Lit looks at poems and novels and how to analyze them
miaellenx
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
English Language is different to English Literature, but they both have their similarities. They go really well together and, if you like English, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to study them both. Even if you did get confused, my friend who does English Literature on its own says that there are linguistic terms involved as well, so I imagine it to not be too much of a problem. (Of course, I don't know how much of this is true.)

I'm currently in my second year of doing English Literature and Language Combined at college and love it. It may be a little different to the two courses you're wanting to do, but if you have any questions - I'm here.
Airmed
  • Volunteer Team
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Careful though, some universities don't take A Level English Lit and Language together.
Arkasia
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I would be careful about limiting your options, especially since Eng Lang, Theatre Studies and, to a greater extent, Sociology are not the most respected of A-levels, although if you are set on taking it, then go ahead, it is a useful subject that fits perfectly with Lit (although Lit includes a very large amount of Lang).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (211)
39.59%
No - but I will (35)
6.57%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.75%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (251)
47.09%

Watched Threads