Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shredoholic_strat)
    Excuse me, you do not know me whatsoever. I have been doing housework, washingup and cleaning since I can remember. If you read my post it says they have basically do nothing now - thats what changed. I dont belive your parents did next to nothing when you where a child. Also I do not need to get over myself - I was interested in how much people do for their age, highlighted in bold, rather than asking for feedback about my own situation.

I personally feel that people who have never done anything are going to struggle a lot more later on. Even as a guy I am very glad to be able to clean, cook, etc and been able to for many many years.
    You said in the OP, that you didn't like cleaning up and other chores, now you've changed your opinion completely.
    Sounds to me that with everyone else's opinions on here you don't want to look the odd one out.:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXLil'-AnGelXx)
    You said in the OP, that you didn't like cleaning up and other chores, now you've changed your opinion completely.
    Sounds to me that with everyone else's opinions on here you don't want to look the odd one out.:rolleyes:
    Er... Correct, I don't like cleaning up. If I had a choice I woudn't (hence I did the extra jobs on top of usual ones during the holidays/unemplyed). Im glad I can do things and will be fine at uni, but I dont like chores. I stick to this and don't think I have said otherwise. I would not look the odd one out because there a range of replies - from doing nothing whatsoever, to doing a fair bit (and loads in tanusha-tomsk's case).

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ywiss)
    Whoa - how did you manage to get to Bath as well as all of that?
    Hehe, came to England with my mum and my brother when I was 15 with English as my third language, took my GCSEs in a year, got an offer from a top independent school, got 4 good A-Levels and offers from Warwick, Bath, UCL and Royal Holloway. And picked Bath True story.

ReputationRep:
    i had weekends off but during the week i did the cooking, washing up, tidying etc for a family of 5. i never had to do the washing but i did do a little bit of ironing.

my mum was allways moaning i did nothing too :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toy Soldier)
    I've been doing pretty much everything for myself - including making my own dinner most of the time (except occasional family meals) - since I was about 10.

Get over it. I met so many people in halls last year who couldn't cook to save their lives, or iron, or even work a washing machine... it's pathetic.
    my flatmate couldnt use a frying pan and took his clothes home for his mum to wash every weekend :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flank Runner)
    from the age of 11 i have washed and ironed my own clothes, looked after the pets, generaly cleaned the house to a military standard (damn dad ex patu), looked after my little sister and occasionally cooked aswell as menial tasks such as gardening and taking out the rubbish, going to the shops, i cant stress enough how grateful i am now, especially after joining the army myself, it gives you a lot of independance and people respect you because of your self reliance, especially in my line of work, so be grateful for this experience will help you in later life

Same but I did all the cooking too. I know share a flat at uni and still do it all- though less cooking as I get to eat at work.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, this thread is crap. I can't cook or clean but I don't care because its not like I'm going to be taking any girls back to my (extremely messy) room!

ReputationRep:

What jobs do you have to do?
    How are you old?
    What jobs I do I cook, clean, iron, clean outside....yes I am a neat freak but I actually do more household chores as such than anyone else in my family and I'm 18....so I don't see the problem of why others can't do it for themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanusha-tomsk)
    Hehe, came to England with my mum and my brother when I was 15 with English as my third language, took my GCSEs in a year, got an offer from a top independent school, got 4 good A-Levels and offers from Warwick, Bath, UCL and Royal Holloway. And picked Bath True story.
    Lucky you

ReputationRep:
    i used to iron for the whole family and cook, and clean before I came to uni....

ReputationRep:
    Jobs I have to do: Set the table OR empty the dishwasher. Washing up OR drying up.

I also iron a T Shirt or 2 once a fortnight or so. And I'll cook a meal like once a month.

And I have a full time job and don't even need to pay rent :-D

ReputationRep:
    Me mam tried, and failed, to get me to do anything around the house. And now I'm at uni....it hasn't been big a shock to me system.

ReputationRep:
    Once I had to come downstairs to get the food that had been prepared for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleece)
    Why's it a problem now? Plenty of people have to do all that. It's called taking responsibility and being independent.
    well said,

ReputationRep:
    My parents have just completely "withdrawn their labour" - I have to wash and iron my clothes, washup and put stuff away 4 times a week and cook twice a week. They left me jobs to do whilst I was job hunting which I did, slightly reluctantly. Now I have a job they've said I was too lazy about doing those jobs, so they've given me more now that I work full time.

Of course when Im at uni next year, (Im 18), no problem, I'll do that myself and more. It just feels like when Im in my own home I'd like to think my mother would want me to wear clean, ironed clothes, but she says she doesnt care if I do or dont do these things for myself anymore.

What jobs do you have to do?
    How are you old?
    i've been doing this since i was about 10. welcome to the real world.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it will harm you. Since your parents have "withdrawn their labour"(your words) I could imagine an argument preceded that measure.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 11, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.