The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Do all people who get it deserve it? No, of course not.
Do some people who get it deserve it? Of course.

Last year I got £20 a week.
My bus travel was £1 (sometimes £2) a day x 5 days= £5-£10.
I had to buy text books, £15 for psych, £35 for bio, £22.50 for chem, £33.30 for physics. All in all = £105.80
Lunch each day was about £2.20 x 5 days = £11
Stationary= about £10
Biology Field trip = about £200
Lab coat and goggles= £15
And then costs for resit exams, which aren't cheap.
So that's essential school costs. Then there's 6th form parties which were about £5 each, train/bus fares when I'm going places and stuff, etc.

My parents are separated, my dad earns a little over £30,000, I lived with my mum who earned somewhere in the middle EMA bracket. Despite the joint income being well over the limit, they certainly couldn't afford to pay for all of these things. A lot of my EMA went on these essential costs, and my parents where they could occasionally gave me a bit of money to go out, or I had to save EMA leftovers to do something recreational.

I won't say that there's no merit in the "EMA is flawed" argument, it could certainly be better designed. However, the people who say "EMA should be for everyone or noone" should think that through a little more. :rolleyes:
Reply 21
You do get the impression that nowadays, the average, middle of the road Joe blogs is the worst off.

High earners already have loads of cash.
Poor people get a shed load of benefits.
People in the middle just struggle along.

And no, people on high incomes shouldn't get EMA.
We seem to have an education system that makes us seem like complete failures if we don't go to college, when in real terms, if we had quit education after the complusory stage and gone on to be an apprentice electrician / plumber / whatever, we'd be earning far more far quicker and we'd end up far more skilled in our chosen field. In some respects, I regretted going to college. I got there and realised that I'd just blindly followed the crowd because it was the done thing. Thing is, once you've gone to college, you might as well go to uni as well.
My dad was made redundant in March last year, and I started college in September of that year. Because our income from the previous tax year (i.e. April-April) had been £31,000, I didn't receive a penny in EMA, despite the fact that our household income for my first year of college was £17,000. Fortunately, I'm getting my £30 this year.

There again, I have a friend who was eligible for £30/week last year, and couldn't be bothered to fill the form out, so he's about £1500 worse off. Plonker.
Its stupid. Everyone should get it or no one should.
Revd. Mike
Do all people who get it deserve it? No, of course not.
Do some people who get it deserve it? Of course.

Last year I got £20 a week.
My bus travel was £1 (sometimes £2) a day x 5 days= £5-£10.
I had to buy text books, £15 for psych, £35 for bio, £22.50 for chem, £33.30 for physics. All in all = £105.80
Lunch each day was about £2.20 x 5 days = £11
Stationary= about £10
Biology Field trip = about £200
Lab coat and goggles= £15
And then costs for resit exams, which aren't cheap.
So that's essential school costs. Then there's 6th form parties which were about £5 each, train/bus fares when I'm going places and stuff, etc.

My parents are separated, my dad earns a little over £30,000, I lived with my mum who earned somewhere in the middle EMA bracket. Despite the joint income being well over the limit, they certainly couldn't afford to pay for all of these things. A lot of my EMA went on these essential costs, and my parents where they could occasionally gave me a bit of money to go out, or I had to save EMA leftovers to do something recreational.

I won't say that there's no merit in the "EMA is flawed" argument, it could certainly be better designed. However, the people who say "EMA should be for everyone or noone" should think that through a little more. :rolleyes:
That post was completely ruined by the "6th form parties" clause.
Reply 25
Noobish
Some people (INCLUDING ME!!! muhahwahahahah :biggrin:) will get EMA, not everybody.

Im getting £120 in my Bank bang on 9am today! im so happy. xD EMA is arguably the best thing about college. I feel sorry to those who are missing out on all the fun we (EMA eligibles) are having. :redface:

I think you're kind of proving everyone's point. I won't blame people for taking free money, only an idiot would turn it down, but you have to admit, you don't NEED that money to stay at college. What does most of your EMA money get spent on?
Reply 26
XxJaninexX
Its stupid. Everyone should get it or no one should.

You seriously believe that?

So if Richard Branson sent a son / daughter to college, then they should get £30 a week plus bonuses too? Something tells me that's a complete waste of tax-payers money. The whole point in it not being universal is that 99% of those over the threshold don't need it.

It's supposed to be an incentive to make higher / further education available to everyone given that both historically and currently only the upper classes went to college and / or uni.

Please take time to think of what you're typing before you click "Submit Reply"
When I got my EMA my dad's maintenance was disregarded by the DFES (is that the right dept?) - my mum was totally honest about everything and they disregarded and I got the full amount.
The same with my student loan - if it's their decision to ignore it then that's their decision!
Reply 28
Steezy20
You do get the impression that nowadays, the average, middle of the road Joe blogs is the worst off.

High earners already have loads of cash.
Poor people get a shed load of benefits.
People in the middle just struggle along.

Yep, that's the way of it generally. Not to worry, it's an insentive to get into the high earners bracket.
tomHHHH
i hate it.

my friend lives with his mum in practically a mansion but because his mum and dad divorced he gets a full 30pound a week. His mum doesnt work because she doesnt need to.

she drives a bleedin X5 aswell.

For divorced families its a joke alot of the time

:redface:

I had £30 a week......Same scenario. :redface:

But hey, they didn't check and they meant disposable income, right? :redface:
Reply 30
TRUE its very touchy subject. Ive read all the posts.

Many people do NOT diserve it. Every single english ethnic minoirty at my sixth form are on it and they go shopping all the ****ing time :angry:

Im on it and a few of my freinds are jelous. But some people are stuck up and could qualify but dont

and just remember, those people getting EMA. You would not get a penny if it want for labour and tony blair!
Reply 31
also... EVERYONE APPLIES TO UNI AS IT IS NOW! why do they need to encourage people, im applying against ****ing nobel prize winners with AAA and spent years in a chinese charity for work exp!!!
Reply 32
I think the money should go to the household. My ittle brother spends his on music each week.......:s-smilie:
Reply 33
A lot of people deserve to get EMA who don't and a lot of peple who do get EMA don't deserve to get it!!! I've found personally that the lower class families whose kids receive EMA are most likely to give out pocket money. People whose income is over the £30,000 limit are less likely to hand out pocket money as they believe in earning what you get, so those from the wealthier families are doubly disadvantaged!!! That's my own personal experience anyway!!!
Nick-2
Many people do NOT diserve it. Every single english ethnic minoirty at my sixth form are on it and they go shopping all the ****ing time :angry:

What's that got to do with it?

Any ethnic minority is entitled to it if their parent/guardians income is within the certain amount, there is nothing else required to be entitled except that one thing. :confused:
Reply 35
beeboo
A lot of people deserve to get EMA who don't and a lot of peple who do get EMA don't deserve to get it!!! I've found personally that the lower class families whose kids receive EMA are most likely to give out pocket money. People whose income is over the £30,000 limit are less likely to hand out pocket money as they believe in earning what you get, so those from the wealthier families are doubly disadvantaged!!! That's my own personal experience anyway!!!

That's laughable, it really is.

Firstly, its not PC to call people lower-class as this suggests that they are somehow inferior as a person to those who earn more.

Secondly, families who earn under 30k aren't necessarily in this so called 'lower class' bracket. A family who is earning 30k, especially in the North of England, can be considered WELL into the middle bracket.

Thirdly, your concept of pocket money throughout the classes is the biggest load of excrement I have ever heard. According to your judgement, my family is just about lower class given I qualified for EMA. I can assure you that I have never ever received any pocket money. The whole point in being poor is that you don't have any money to needlessly throw away. Affluent families, or those in the middle bracket do tend to give pocket money to their children on the whole. An unbelievable amount of kids from affluent families 'live off Daddy' for their entire life.
Reply 36
EMA is brilliant, without EMA I would now be workin in mcdonalds flipping burgers as there is no way my parents would be able to afford to send me to college it has given potentially smart/gifted people the chance to study and get a better career so that one day they'll have the life they deserve
Don't get me started on EMA!! I've written to the government about this a couple of times and they just don't get it.

Firstly, I am REALLY pro-EMA. It's a great idea because some people really benefit. However, the way they assess household it is absolutely awful. My household income is well over the threshold - but before you assume I'm mega-rich.. no way! 90% of the household income is from my mum's partner, which gets taken into account. What they ignore is that I have 2 sisters PLUS my mum's partner has 4 children of his own. Also, why do the gov. expect him to give me loads of money.. he's not even my step-dad! So I don't get a penny EMA. I must admit, I do get pocket money (£5 a week) and have a job but it's the hours are minimal (a few hours a month) because my school discourages jobs.

What annoys me most is how many of those who recieve EMA (about 65%) are living much better lifestyles than me. For example, one girl has just been given a brand new car for her birthday. Every year she goes on the ski trip (£600) and she went on another trip (£2000) this year. She always seems to be wearing designer clothes and does horse riding etc. Does that sound like someone on EMA? Everyone I know who gets EMA goes on holiday abroad every year - I've been twice and never with my mum. I'd love to play an instrument (piano!) but we could never afford it. I used to argue with my dad every week about going to uni (he said they wouldn't be able to support my financially and I'd have £30K debt so it's not worth it) - I persuaded him it was a good idea in the end but... you get the idea.

It just astounds me how crazy the whole thing is. We have newspaper reports every week of how much immigrants get but no-one seems bothered by EMA. Sometimes I think this world is just going mad.

MissSurfer
Sithius
Do all people who qualify for EMA actually deserve the money they recieve weekly?

No. My question to you: does no one who qualifies for EMA deserve the money they get?

I do.
There are definately people who deserve EMA and there are others who just take the piss. I recently asked my friend who gets EMA for no apparant reason what he has spent it on; a new mobile and a TV for his room...how educational :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending