Turn on thread page Beta
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by MissSurfer)
    Don't get me started on EMA!! I've written to the government about this a couple of times and they just don't get it.

Firstly, I am REALLY pro-EMA. It's a great idea because some people really benefit. However, the way they assess household it is absolutely awful. My household income is well over the threshold - but before you assume I'm mega-rich.. no way! 90% of the household income is from my mum's partner, which gets taken into account. What they ignore is that I have 2 sisters PLUS my mum's partner has 4 children of his own. Also, why do the gov. expect him to give me loads of money.. he's not even my step-dad! So I don't get a penny EMA. I must admit, I do get pocket money (£5 a week) and have a job but it's the hours are minimal (a few hours a month) because my school discourages jobs.
    If you can think of a better, watertight way of assessing income taking all the ****ed up families in the world into account, you have my respect. Otherwise, stop complaining - it's not fair, no, but it helps some people, so it's a start. You can't just blanket-cure poverty, as we see constantly all over the world.

What annoys me most is how many of those who recieve EMA (about 65%) are living much better lifestyles than me. For example, one girl has just been given a brand new car for her birthday. Every year she goes on the ski trip (£600) and she went on another trip (£2000) this year. She always seems to be wearing designer clothes and does horse riding etc. Does that sound like someone on EMA? Everyone I know who gets EMA goes on holiday abroad every year - I've been twice and never with my mum. I'd love to play an instrument (piano!) but we could never afford it. I used to argue with my dad every week about going to uni (he said they wouldn't be able to support my financially and I'd have £30K debt so it's not worth it) - I persuaded him it was a good idea in the end but... you get the idea.
    You sound like me. Almost exactly. Except, I'm on EMA. :p: Yeah, some people who don't need it get it and waste it, but it'd be nice to know that all the people that genuinely needed it got it, and those who got it and didn't need it were just lucky.

It just astounds me how crazy the whole thing is. We have newspaper reports every week of how much immigrants get but no-one seems bothered by EMA. Sometimes I think this world is just going mad.
    People over the age of... 26, is it?... aren't bothered about EMA. In fact most people over 18 aren't. No one cares once that's over, £30 a week is nice but in the real world it's nothing.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by General Mullet)
    There are definately people who deserve EMA and there are others who just take the piss. I recently asked my friend who gets EMA for no apparant reason what he has spent it on; a new mobile and a TV for his room...how educational :rolleyes:
    Sorry, please tell me who ever said EMA was meant to be used for educational benefit? It's extra cash for those who are short of it and in education. Doesn't mean it has to be spent on education - it's to stop people having to get jobs which will disrupt their education, or having to quit education altogether. Not for buying ****ing textbooks. Get your facts straight.

ReputationRep:
    My point is he so obviously doesn't need the money therefore doesn't deserve it, if I want to buy a new TV I have to go out and get a job. Seeing other people **** about and get **** grades only to be rewarded with a bonus which I don't get also annoys me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    If you can think of a better, watertight way of assessing income taking all the ****ed up families in the world into account, you have my respect. Otherwise, stop complaining - it's not fair, no, but it helps some people, so it's a start. You can't just blanket-cure poverty, as we see constantly all over the world.
    Yes, I can think of better ways - no, they're not perfect but it's a LOT better. Maybe not take into account people who live with you but aren't legally related to you, but instead include income from CSA maintenance payments (if the parents are divorced). Secondly, take into account brothers and sisters etc.

I don't think '****ed up families' is a very nice way of putting it.

Lastly, I don't need EMA. I'm the first to admit it. It would be VERY HELPFUL. I could actually do half the things I want to do. But I'm surviving without it. It's actually spurring me on to achieve something so I can do all these things I want to do, one day. What I object to is when there is such an enormous error in the system that people with so much more affluent lifestyles to me get it. What also annoys me is how some people (this is the minority though) get all this money and the bonuses too, but don't put the slightest effort in. That really is not right.

ReputationRep:
    EMA is just preparing the younger generation of 'middle classes' for the life of feeling (sometimes justifiably so) everything is biased against them, like our parents currently do.

I feel EMA put unfair pressure on my parents, as though because of their income they were expected to provide me with £30 a week, which they couldn't do/I wouldn't expect them to do.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Yes, I can think of better ways - no, they're not perfect but it's a LOT better. Maybe not take into account people who live with you but aren't legally related to you, but instead include income from CSA maintenance payments (if the parents are divorced). Secondly, take into account brothers and sisters etc.

I don't think '****ed up families' is a very nice way of putting it.
    You think I care if it's a nice way of putting it? My family is ****ed up, and I know much more ****ed up families. What if the kid lived with two parents, one of whom was actually abusive to the other and hence their incomes were separate? Then a lot wouldn't be given to the child. Good, we've spotted a flaw in EMA, but it's one we can't fix. Also, what about brothers and sisters? Should EMA be increased? Should I get £60 instead of £30 because my mum is a single parent bringing up two kids instead of one? That's kind of an income support job, isn't it? And when the siblings get old enough they'll get their own EMA. And CSA maintenance - what? That's paid to the parent to spend on the upbringing of the child, and often people who need this money won't have it spare to give to their kids for their education. So it's solved nothing.

The better you make the system, the more complicated it gets - and every problem you fix opens up another new one.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, well im glad im getting EMA. And the truth is - i dont spend it/I have not yet spent any of my EMA on education!

Btw - got £160 today!!!!!!! I would never spend all this on education. :s :p:

EMA is the best thing about college.

ReputationRep:
    My mom has a pretty serious illness and doesn't work so I definitely deserve my ema! Really couldn't care less if people cheat the system though. Everyone would get it if I had my way.

(Original post by Noobish)
    Btw - got £160 today!!!!!!!
    Got £160 on Saturday! Go us!

ReputationRep:
    Well it's good to see on here that there are some people that need the money. Shame there are also plenty that it is wasted on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noobish)
    Haha, well im glad im getting EMA. And the truth is - i dont spend it/I have not yet spent any of my EMA on education!

Btw - got £160 today!!!!!!! I would never spend all this on education. :s :p:

EMA is the best thing about college.
    This isn't an insult, you don't even have to answer me if you don't want to.

1. What GCSE grades did you get?
    2. Did you go to college simply for the EMA?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Most people I know make good use of it, eg. for dinner money, travel, books, college trips and basic necessities.

Indeed not all of it is spent on educational stuff - some people I know save some of their money to buy driving lessons, a mobile phone, or something.

In that case it is also a great incentive to do well! (As in my college, you must attend and be punctual to every lesson to receive it. Also, have you hand in all homeworks and such)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OnlyMe!)
    In that case it is also a great incentive to do well! (As in my college, you must attend and be punctual to every lesson to receive it. Also, have you hand in all homeworks and such)
    If it's an incentive to do well, everyone should get it. That's the problem I have with it. It shouldn't be a bribe to go to school and do well. It should be there so anyone is able to go to college if they have the drive and ability to succeed. I do believe everyone should be able to go as far as they can in education regardless of financial situations if they want to. But it seems a lot of people go to college because they get money for practically nothing rather than because they really want the education.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Psyk)
    If it's an incentive to do well, everyone should get it. That's the problem I have with it. It shouldn't be a bribe to go to school and do well. It should be there so anyone is able to go to college if they have the drive and ability to succeed. I do believe everyone should be able to go as far as they can in education regardless of financial situations if they want to. But it seems a lot of people go to college because they get money for practically nothing rather than because they really want the education.
    Why would they not opt for a job instead?

Even most part-time jobs would pay more than the highest EMA payment.

Some people genuinely do need the money...

ReputationRep:
    Why would they not opt for a job instead?

Even most part-time jobs would pay more than the highest EMA payment.

Some people genuinely do need the money...
    Yes I know some people do genuinely need the money. And it's great that EMA is allowing them to continue their education, but for every person that needs it, there are 3 that don't at all. The reason they opt for school rather than a job is, it's easier in most cases. If your not really trying to do well in school it's pretty easy. You just have to show up to lessons and make a half-hearted attempt at some homework every now and then. I know you are in theory supposed to make an effort to get the money, but very few schools have a system that works.

ReputationRep:
    I know people who are eligible for EMA can get up to £30 a week, but I've also heard they can get things like - for want of a better word - bonuses for working well, good performance etc of about £500 - is this true or is it just nonsense?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Psyk)
    Yes I know some people do genuinely need the money. And it's great that EMA is allowing them to continue their education, but for every person that needs it, there are 3 that don't at all. The reason they opt for school rather than a job is, it's easier in most cases. If your not really trying to do well in school it's pretty easy. You just have to show up to lessons and make a half-hearted attempt at some homework every now and then. I know you are in theory supposed to make an effort to get the money, but very few schools have a system that works.
    Well, my college is pretty strict with these things at least...

I don't think your ratio of whose who genuinely need it is accurate, but you are right, not all those who receive it deserve it.

Although similarly, not all those who deserve the payments receive it. I have a friend who doesn't live with her parents (but her boyfriend) and she struggles to make ends meet and EMA would be really beneficial to her.

That's the problem with EMA - the money isn't always distributed well - some who don't deserve the payments receive it, but in cases, those who genuinely deserve it or need it don't...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by SavvySaviour)
    I know people who are eligible for EMA can get up to £30 a week, but I've also heard they can get things like - for want of a better word - bonuses for working well, good performance etc of about £500 - is this true or is it just nonsense?
    I am not sure about the total sum of these bonuses. But, yes, they do receive bonuses (eg. at Christmas).

That is providing the college approves.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think your ratio of whose who genuinely need it is accurate, but you are right, not all those who receive it deserve it.
    No it's not accurate, I just plucked it out of thin air:p: But you get my point. I agree with you that there are people that should be getting it but don't. It isn't a one way problem.

ReputationRep:
    Hope I'm eligible then! Do you get paid for the full 52 week course of the year or just the weeks that you are actually in school?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SavvySaviour)
    Hope I'm eligible then! Do you get paid for the full 52 week course of the year or just the weeks that you are actually in school?
    Just the weeks you are in school.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.