Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Self-explanatory if, albeit, a bit vague.

What is the key to success in English? How do I get full marks in close readings and critical essays? Hoping for some advice or people talking from experience, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Omar717)
    Self-explanatory if, albeit, a bit vague.

What is the key to success in English? How do I get full marks in close readings and critical essays? Hoping for some advice or people talking from experience, thanks.
    Depends on the level you're looking to get full marks in. In regards to GCSE level, criticising your own analysis is one way to get you top marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr.Econometrics)
    Depends on the level you're looking to get full marks in. In regards to GCSE level, criticising your own analysis is one way to get you top marks.
    oh yeah, forgot to mention that. Well I'm currently studying higher if that helps, anyway I'll take onboard your advice.

ReputationRep:
    oh yeah, forgot to mention that. Well I'm currently studying higher if that helps, anyway I'll take onboard your advice.
    My point is certainly relevant for Highers, good luck.

ReputationRep:
    How do you criticise your own analysis?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherx)
    How do you criticise your own analysis?
    By determining the extent to which your analysis is valid; you may mention factors that have affected your analysis, such as bias.

ReputationRep:
    By determining the extent to which your analysis is valid; you may mention factors that have affected your analysis, such as bias.
    How would you know if it's valid though :3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherx)
    How would you know if it's valid though :3
    Definition of validity: the quality of being logically or factually sound. You would analyse the extent to which your analysis is logical or factually sound.

ReputationRep:
    Definition of validity: the quality of being logically or factually sound. You would analyse the extent to which your analysis is logical or factually sound.
    I see

Do you do English at A-levels?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherx)
    I see

Do you do English at A-levels?
    I am currently a second year university student, but I achieved an A* at GCSE level.

ReputationRep:
    I am currently a second year university student, but I achieved an A* at GCSE level.
    Hmm... But I mean every analysis you make will always be valid right as long as you support it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherx)
    Hmm... But I mean every analysis you make will always be valid right as long as you support it.
    That may be the case, however, this is where criticising analysis helps you to reach perfection in regards to marks gained.

ReputationRep:
    That may be the case, however, this is where criticising analysis helps you to reach perfection in regards to marks gained.
    That makes sense, yes :lol:

Hmm could I do an question and could you be able to look over it/mark it it'll be to do with poems..?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    x
    To get full marks in a critical essay, you have to give good arguments for pros and cons and you need a good style of writing. Be convincing in your argumentations and keep the line in your structure. Don't use too much word repetitions or repetitions in expressions. Those are my advices to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherx)
    That makes sense, yes :lol:

Hmm could I do an question and could you be able to look over it/mark it it'll be to do with poems..?
    Depends on the length, I wouldn't have time to mark it though.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the length, I wouldn't have time to mark it though.
    It'll probably be quite short.. And erm I haven't done any yet but I'm planning on doing some questions for revision since my mocks are coming up this week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherx)
    It'll probably be quite short.. And erm I haven't done any yet but I'm planning on doing some questions for revision since my mocks are coming up this week.
    PM me when you get round to it, and good luck for the mocks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kallisto)
    To get full marks in a critical essay, you have to give good arguments for pros and cons and you need a good style of writing. Be convincing in your argumentations and keep the line in your structure. Don't use too much word repetitions or repetitions in expressions. Those are my advices to you.
    Thanks, I'll make sure to keep that in mind.

ReputationRep:
    Economics helps a ton in improving evaluation

ReputationRep:
    PM me when you get round to it, and good luck for the mocks.
    Thank you!

It's quite hard to revise English or get better with analysis and I'm dreadful under timed conditions :erm:

But I guess I'll get better with practise :dontknow:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 2, 2014

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.