mathematical courses Watch

dan_budu
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi. I am a highschool student looking to apply for a UK uni. As I am intereseted in mathematics, I started analysing different degrees of mathematics offered by o variety of uni. What came as a surprise to me is the fact that, in some universities, the first year courses are similar to the ones i take in the last 2 years of highscool (i mention that i go to the maths olympiad) and i would be verry disappointed to repeat the same things again. Could someone help me with some previews or some courses taken by maths students in their first year at some of the following universities : Bath, Durham, Manchester University, Burmingham University, Bristol or Coventry?
TheIrrational
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by dan_budu)
Hi. I am a highschool student looking to apply for a UK uni. As I am intereseted in mathematics, I started analysing different degrees of mathematics offered by o variety of uni. What came as a surprise to me is the fact that, in some universities, the first year courses are similar to the ones i take in the last 2 years of highscool (i mention that i go to the maths olympiad) and i would be verry disappointed to repeat the same things again. Could someone help me with some previews or some courses taken by maths students in their first year at some of the following universities : Bath, Durham, Manchester University, Burmingham University, Bristol or Coventry?
What courses are they that you've done before?

Without trying to offend people at certain universities, Coventry and Birmingham probably aren't the best you can do if you've done the Olympiad..

Bath and Durham are good universities for maths and Manchester slightly below them in my opinion.

If you can tell me what you've studied before I can tell you where might be good for university.
dan_budu
Rep:
?
Thankyou very much for your response.i must admit i am a bit disorientated about all there tops of unis. Your experience would help me a lot. Now i am in 11 th grade (school in my country has12 grades). Until now i studied topics like geometry, number theory,combibatorics,etc , but also complex numbers (aş advanced as ciclotomic polynomials and things like that) ,matrix elemntary theory and real analysis (darboux, cauchy theorem, lagrange,rolle,fermattaylor,l hospital + criteria like stoltz cesaro and cauchy dalambert etc). Next year my study will centre on elementary galois groups and riemman integrals.that s an overview of my knowledge. I mention that my best result is a silver medal at the national mathmeqtical olympiad with a further qualifixaion for the first test for imo(i stopped there) . i look forward for your response
davros
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by dan_budu)
Thankyou very much for your response.i must admit i am a bit disorientated about all there tops of unis. Your experience would help me a lot. Now i am in 11 th grade (school in my country has12 grades). Until now i studied topics like geometry, number theory,combibatorics,etc , but also complex numbers (aş advanced as ciclotomic polynomials and things like that) ,matrix elemntary theory and real analysis (darboux, cauchy theorem, lagrange,rolle,fermattaylor,l hospital + criteria like stoltz cesaro and cauchy dalambert etc). Next year my study will centre on elementary galois groups and riemman integrals.that s an overview of my knowledge. I mention that my best result is a silver medal at the national mathmeqtical olympiad with a further qualifixaion for the first test for imo(i stopped there) . i look forward for your response
Which country are you in?

Some of those topics aren't even covered in most first year university courses in the UK!

Looking at your post, I think the only thing that would hold you back (apart from boredom!) is that your English is quite poor. Are there no suitable universities in your own country where there would be no language issues for you?
dan_budu
Rep:
?
(Original post by davros)
Which country are you in?

Some of those topics aren't even covered in most first year university courses in the UK!

Looking at your post, I think the only thing that would hold you back (apart from boredom!) is that your English is quite poor. Are there no suitable universities in your own country where there would be no language issues for you?
my english isn t very good, it is true. BUT when I wrote my last 2 messages I was kind of sleepy and made a lot of typos. so maybe there is still hope=)) I am from Romania. In my country, there are lots of good universities, but the main disadvantage here is that Romanian Uni offer only theoretical studies, with almost no chance of practical courses.And after you graduate, the only chance is to get an academic job, where the salary is below $300. So....
TheBBQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
They teach this in high school? Wtf?
dan_budu
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheBBQ)
They teach this in high school? Wtf?
Yes, they teach, you can be sure of that. As I said, In Romania, students learn a lot of theory, but this is colligated with almost no practice...
@The Irrational, I still wait for your suggestions
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (302)
37.52%
No - but I will (61)
7.58%
No - I don't want to (60)
7.45%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (382)
47.45%

Watched Threads