Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    I'm currently applying for 2015 undergrad courses but struggling to work out whether I'll actually be able to afford to go to uni.

    As a mature student (33), single parent, wage earner, I'm assuming that advice about parents earnings is irrelevant to me & I will be judged on my own household income. Does the application form make adequate provision for circumstances of mature students?

    The trouble I'm having is finding information on exactly what the entitlement levels are based on. I currently work part time in a 9-5 office (as well as doing the access course part-time) & will have to resign when I start uni. I realise that I may well have to find some part-time work that doesn't conflict with uni hours but my expectation is that my earnings will decrease. Is the entitlement calculated on current earnings or on the previous tax year? Will it even matter? My current earnings are just a little north of £6k pa. I'm worried about finding myself temporarily jobless & not being able to pay for rent/food etc cos it doesn't only affect me, it also affects my kids.
    • Official TSR Representative

    Official TSR Representative

    As a single person over 25 years old, you will be assessed as an independent student. As such, we don't usually take your earnings into account, as we understand you will likely have to leave your job or reduce your hours in order to study, so you will normally be automatically assessed for the maximum levels of funding.

    You can use the student finance calculator to give you an idea of the amounts you will be entitled to:

    Applications open early next year, so apply as soon as you can to ensure we have everything in place for when you start the course so there's no delays in your funding.

    • Thread Starter

    Thanks for that

    Posted from TSR Mobile

University open days

  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.