Volunteering for under 18's (medicine related) Watch

Izzyyyyy
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am 15 atm, and turn 16 in January, and I intended to start volunteering at the hospital or a care home then, but I have recently learnt that you have to be 17 to do this, in some cases 18 so how could I otherwise volunteer in a caring environment or something related to medicine?

i heard about the St Johns Ambulance cadets but I think I am too old to join now (it only goes up to 17) so I have no clue what else I can do! Anyone else got any ideas?
VioletPhillippo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You could volunteer anywhere that shows you have good communication skills with the general public which is important for medicine. Somewhere general like a charity shop, a community project for elderly people, families, or disabled people, a beaver/cub/brownie/rainbow group.
Serenaaa
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm literally having the same problem, but I am just emailing all my local hospitals/GPs begging for any experience they can give me. Also you could try doing any sort of charity work or getting a job that involves communication skills!
Pennyarcade
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I wouldnt even bother starting this early. Do the minimum amount possible then just talk it up at the interview.

Do small bits of every type of volunteering.
Asklepios
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Pennyarcade)
I wouldnt even bother starting this early. Do the minimum amount possible then just talk it up at the interview.

Do small bits of every type of volunteering.
This. The only reason for doing such extensive volunteering is to get brownie points for writing about it on your PS and discussing it at interview. Don't waste your time, and do the bare minimum to get a reference if required.
morgan006
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you can't find anywhereore directly related to medicine and if you have the time for it, a job in a shop or restaurant shows good communication and organisational skills, and you get paid for it

Posted from TSR Mobile
ghazhal
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You could always work at Boots pharmacy since it looks good on personal statements and cv's!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
39.11%
No - but I will (46)
6.81%
No - I don't want to (50)
7.41%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (315)
46.67%

Watched Threads