Turn on thread page Beta

why dae some people from england hate the scots watch

ReputationRep:
    every time i go on 1 off these websites there always something aboot us scots in it . the english always say stuff aboot us like how much they hate us , if they hate us so much y ir they always talkin aboot us ?

ReputationRep:
    Ah well nicole, some people are small minded. I don't hate them

ReputationRep:
    I don't, I'm the opposite I think they're cool!

But I'm from Australia :p:

One of my best friends from school moved there with her family nearly 8 years ago now, and she has the coolest accent :love:

And isn't Toy Soldier from there? He rocks, so that's gotta count for something!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nicole_14)
    every time i go on 1 off these websites there always something aboot us scots in it . the english always say stuff aboot us like how much they hate us , if they hate us so much y ir they always talkin aboot us ?
    Arghh my eyes!

ReputationRep:
    Speaking as someone who was born and raise in Scotland and who has lived here almost all of his life, I blame our own side.

For decades the English people have had to put up with a lot of stick from the Scottish - about their football team, about invading us 700 years ago, etc. Most of it was typical jealousy from a smaller nation to another. Racism against the English still exists up here, not to mention we get more than our fair share of government expenditure etc.

I just think they, rather understandably, get annoyed by this and some people translate this to hating the Scots. Not exactly the best response, but definitely predictable.

Oh, and hate is a horrible thing. It consumes people, it becomes their obsession. That's why these people keep going on about it.

ReputationRep:
    I don't hate the Scots, I adore Scotland and one of my best friends is from Edinburgh (although she "escaped", as she put it, I think meaning from her mad family, when she went to Uni, first in St Andrews and then to Cambridge, and then she moved to Chester).

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was the Scots that hated the English!

ReputationRep:
    awwwwwww a lil 14 year old. How cute

ReputationRep:
    I don't think many english hate the scots, its only ever the scots i see hating the english.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss_W)
    Normally that would be the case (hey, I'm not going to deny it), but here?

Whiny little prick talking crap about Scotland
    Same whiny little prick talking even more crap about Scotland in the same thread
    Same whiny little prick talking crap about Scotland even after being told by Acaila not to
    ...and again (Acaila had enough by this point and finally dished out a warning)

Small-minded idiocy in another, older thread (that person made many more posts in that thread insulting the Scots, but for obvious reasons many of them were deleted by mods - he was eventually banned for his repeated trolling in the thread)
    Another post from that prick (I'm tempted to revive that thread, quote that post and mention that Scotland beat France 1-0, while England have, in recent history, drawn with Macedonia and lost to Northern Ireland, two teams they were expected to steamroller through)
    Another cheap shot from a regular troll

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss_W)
    :ditto:

To the OP- it works both ways! I definately dont hate the Scots, have no real reason to, but I have seen plenty of instances where the Scots are really quick to **** off the English!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nicole_14)
    It may be related to the fact that anyone in Scotland who dares to wear an English football shirt gets immediately brained.

Plus we have haggis, and English people tend not to understand that too well, and might feel a bit left out.

ReputationRep:
    hi ta for the reply's

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImperceptibleNinja)
    It may be related to the fact that anyone in Scotland who dares to wear an English football shirt gets immediately brained.

Plus we have haggis, and English people tend not to understand that too well, and might feel a bit left out.
    Ah yes, the three-legged furry creatures that keep running around the hills :love: Must be very tiring for them :s:
    I've never eaten one, though.

ReputationRep:
    Three legs?! I thought the debate was between two and four! [evidently we've found a nice compromise]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImperceptibleNinja)
    Three legs?! I thought the debate was between two and four! [evidently we've found a nice compromise]
    Borders haggis have three :ninja: Depends on the area you're in

ReputationRep:
    No no no, haggis have 4 legs, but the two on the left are shorter than the two on the right - so that they can sun in circles around hills!

I thought everyone knew this? I have it on good authority, from an Inverness tourist board staff member.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danni_bella)
    And isn't Toy Soldier from there? He rocks, so that's gotta count for something!
    :love: I do love a bit of flattery

ReputationRep:
    On the thread subject: It seems to be from both sides, I'd say. Interestingly thogh, it doesn't really seem to apply to the north of England anything like as much. For example, somewhere like Newcastle you won't find much dislike of Scottish people, and also you won't find many people directing their dislike towards them. It seems to be more about the south of England / London. It's just ignorance really, goes back hundreds of years. I have plenty of friends from England.

P.S. I do hate it when Scottish people online try to "type with an accent". *cringe*

:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toy Soldier)
    On the thread subject: It seems to be from both sides, I'd say. Interestingly thogh, it doesn't really seem to apply to the north of England anything like as much. For example, somewhere like Newcastle you won't find much dislike of Scottish people, and also you won't find many people directing their dislike towards them. It seems to be more about the south of England / London. It's just ignorance really, goes back hundreds of years. I have plenty of friends from England.

P.S. I do hate it when Scottish people online try to "type with an accent". *cringe*

:p:
    I completely disagree there. I've found that its 'southeners' who tend not to have a problem with the scottish, but from the few people i know from further north, alot of them have (more in a jokey sense really more than anything serious, but still).

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.