The Student Room Group

Immigration

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alfissti
I do support migration where it is beneficial to do so. Net migration as a number isn't something I'm too worried about, well not in UK at least. It is something I'm concerned in Norway and Singapore but not in UK. Primarily due to the size of the economy as well as available land mass.

Migration that isn't beneficial :-
1) Muslim migration. Creates too many issues and generally becomes a bigger problem when there is a left-wing government.
2) Migration from Africa and Middle East. Not needed for the same reason as muslims. Eventually the issue of multiculturalism etc becomes a problem that is more expensive to fix than the benefits they bring. Not that 1 &2 brings any economic benefits since they are generally a drain to an economy.
3) Refugees. There really isn't a need for countries in the northern hemisphere to provide them when there are plenty of safe countries nearer to the flashpoints. Numbers should be capped at maximum 10k and housed in camps or perhaps wall up a low population village and store them there.
4) Migration of the low skilled. Personally a fan of the point-based system used by Australia and Canada. However due to the poor quality of labour force UK has, a Singapore style permit system might be a better option. Have 3 categories of employment visas. A Work Permit for jobs that don't require any qualifications, perhaps a cap of 100k per year and each person can only be holding a Work Permit for 3 years, therefore ghettos don't form. Then a dual category Employment Pass, both of which requires qualifications and only this Pass allows for resettlement. Perhaps a cap of 200k per year for high skilled and uncapped for high value professionals should do the trick.
5) Roma/Gypsies. No idea why this is even tolerated.

I agree 100% and I also believe that we should place higher value on white immigration than Non-white immigration
You do realise that the fertility rate is falling below 2? And that many people are becoming old, and "I'm not being racist", but majority of them are White British (that's being racist). Also, you might say give incentives to women, but Western culture doesn't seem to give praise to families of more than two children while in African and Asian culture (except East Asian), having more than 4 children shows that family is fertile and strong, while families of less than 2 children are seen as weak and not Muslim/Catholic(Some African). So, we need immigration to ensure there are people and children who are going to pay taxes and help pay for all these OAPs, and unless you're going to pay for it all, I don't think immigration will go down in the upcoming decade, especially since George Osbourne wants to make budget surpluses law. Additionally, immigrants actually give more than they take out, while British people take more than they put in: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24813467
Original post by Rakas21
Both Labour and the Tories have the past two weeks announced that they will go much further with 2 and 4 year welfare pushbacks respectively.

So i've opened this thread to ask you what you want doing with immigration.

My personal view is that while i don't oppose these welfare measures, i think that the coalition misses the point in banging on about EU immigrants while allowing a man to marry somebody in Pakistan and bring her over or keeping asylum at the rate it is.

I'd much rather..

>Abolish the right to family life for spouses (you can bring 3 children but both spouses must be reasonably qualified rather than bringing a wife who may never work - no welfare for any more)
>Abolish pretty much all asylum
>Abolish Muslim male immigration
>Veto further EU expansion other than nations with a GDP per capita in excess of $30k
>Abolish non-EU immigration from countries with a GDP per capita below $30k
>Allow immigrants from nations with a GDP per capita of $30k to purchase permanent citizenship for £10k each subject to proof of English and Maths C grade equivalent, proof of no criminal record and contingent on study or employment within 12 months

I would pretty much agree with all of that but perhaps laxer rules for commonwealth nations.
Reply 23
Original post by Davij038
I would pretty much agree with all of that but perhaps laxer rules for commonwealth nations.

The bottom point is almost solely for developed Asia plus North America and Australasia.
Original post by Rakas21
The bottom point is almost solely for developed Asia plus North America and Australasia.

I think 10k is a bit steep- my friend married an American and she wouldn't have been able to afford that then
Reply 25
Original post by Davij038
I think 10k is a bit steep- my friend married an American and she wouldn't have been able to afford that then

Yes, but we don't really want the American poor to be tempted (even having to wait years, British welfare and health would be a big attraction).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending