English Exam Watch

Himtiaz
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
This is the introduction for my opinion article on celebrities. I am wondering what you think?

Opinion Article
Headlines hit the news today. Bieber arrested for drunk driving. Miley takes nude selfie. Jennifer trips on stairs. These statements are second nature to the news. Now let’s compare this to the headlines of yesterday. Blue LED is discovered. This doesn’t seem like a big deal. But it is! Without this we wouldn’t have technology that the world needs to survive. But out of the public, no one recognises this heroic achievement. But I guarantee that every person will know that Dustbin Beaver was arrested. Who am I talking about I hear you ask? If you have an IQ above the average beleiber,( which is 99.9% of the world) then I am sure you will know who, cough, what I am talking about. Celebrities, of course.
People say that
VioletPhillippo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hiya,
It's a very engaging beginning to an article.
Think about what type of article it is. Is it in a newspaper or a magazine therefore does it need to be formal or informal? If it's supposed to be formal then some of the language is a bit informal at the moment.
Also think about how it flows. I like the way you have varied the sentence lengths to make it interesting and engaging (this will boost your mark) but there are so many it makes it a bit bitty.
Himtiaz
Rep:
?
(Original post by VioletPhillippo)
Hiya,
It's a very engaging beginning to an article.
Think about what type of article it is. Is it in a newspaper or a magazine therefore does it need to be formal or informal? If it's supposed to be formal then some of the language is a bit informal at the moment.
Also think about how it flows. I like the way you have varied the sentence lengths to make it interesting and engaging (this will boost your mark) but there are so many it makes it a bit bitty.
Yeah, it is an opinion article so it is supposed to be informal. How would you improve the sentences?
VioletPhillippo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Himtiaz)
Yeah, it is an opinion article so it is supposed to be informal. How would you improve the sentences?
Hiya, one of the things I would change is to try and merge the sentences that begin with but. It's not very good English to start a sentence with a connective.
Himtiaz
Rep:
?
Thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (957)
79.82%
Leave (242)
20.18%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed