Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Obviously it varies by subject. But, in your opinion, what are the top 10 universities in the UK, overall? (Re: prestige/job prospects/everything).

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...ables/rankings

ReputationRep:
    "in your opinion"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morrisseya)
    "in your opinion"
    Sorry, I'm not really sure. I'd put Oxford and Cambridge at the top, particularly for job prospects. Durham is prestigious and its quite a nice place.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Obviously it varies by subject. But, in your opinion, what are the top 10 universities in the UK, overall? (Re: prestige/job prospects/everything).
    In my opinion:

Cambridge
    Oxford
    LSE
    Imperial
    Warwick
    Durham
    Bath
    Bristol
    UCL

Then I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tarte Tatin)
    Sorry, I'm not really sure. I'd put Oxford and Cambridge at the top, particularly for job prospects. Durham is prestigious and its quite a nice place.
    Yep, Durham would definitely be on there IMO.

ReputationRep:
    IMO, in no particular order: Cambridge, St Andrews, Bath, Kings College London, Oxford, Imperial, UCL, Edinburgh, Bristol and LSE.

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge
    Oxford
    LSE
    Warwick
    Imperial
    UCL
    Durham
    Bristol
    St Andrews

My opinion.

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion the order
    Oxford
    Cambridge
    LSE
    Duhram
    Imperial
    St andrews
    UCL
    Wawrick
    Bath
    In 10th place it could easily be Lancaster, York, Loughbrough or Exeter they are all equally as good.

ReputationRep:
    - Cambridge
    - Oxford
    - Imperial
    - UCL
    - Durham
    - Warwick
    - Manchester
    - Birmingham
    - Nottingham
    - Bath

ReputationRep:
    Are you applying to university this year?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    In terms of my perceived reputation which is probably ignorant, I'd say Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, LSE, UCL, Durham, St. Andrews, Edinburgh, Bristol, Warwick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schrödingers Cat)
    Are you applying to university this year?
    Next. I'm not using this to help me decide, though, obviously

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge
    Oxford
    LSE
    Imperial
    UCL
    KCL
    St Andrews
    Edinburgh
    Warwick
    Durham

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who places any value in the overall league table rankings of universities should re-assess their suitability to be in higher education at all.

Subject rankings are more worthwhile, but are still skewered by things irrelevant to an undergraduate experience like research rating and other factors like student satisfaction which are not objectively compared but subject entirely to the student's expectations prior to beginning the course (such that those at Heriot-Watt are more satisfied than those at Imperial College London). The way more valid factors like graduate prospects are measured is also irritating, since they rarely take account of the type of work being done after the course, and we are consequently expected to believe that Oxford and Cambridge endow their graduates with significantly poorer graduate prospects than other universities.

Ultimately, they're a group of steaming turds that should not impact anyone's university choices.

ReputationRep:
    Next. I'm not using this to help me decide, though, obviously
    Good to hear aha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Birkenhead)
    Anyone who places any value in the overall league table rankings of universities should re-assess their suitability to be in higher education at all.

Subject rankings are more worthwhile, but are still skewered by things irrelevant to an undergraduate experience like research rating and other factors like student satisfaction which are not objectively compared but subject entirely to the student's expectations prior to beginning the course (such that those at Heriot-Watt are more satisfied than those at Imperial College London). The way more valid factors like graduate prospects are measured is also irritating, since they rarely take account of the type of work being done after the course, and we are consequently expected to believe that Oxford and Cambridge endow their graduates with significantly poorer graduate prospects than other universities.

Ultimately, they're a group of steaming turds that should not impact anyone's university choices.
    What did you pick your unis based on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMagican)
    In my opinion the order
    Oxford
    Cambridge
    LSE
    Duhram
    Imperial
    St andrews
    UCL
    Wawrick
    Bath
    In 10th place it could easily be Lancaster, York, Loughbrough or Exeter they are all equally as good.
    I would wager a strong bet that Loughborough and Lancaster are not superior institutions to Bristol and Edinburgh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Birkenhead)
    I would wager a strong bet that Loughborough and Lancaster are not superior institutions to Bristol and Edinburgh.
    Hmm, Edinburgh actually i would say is as good as Lancaster, as for loughbrough yes it is better. Personally i never have seen why Bristol is seen by many as a top 10, in my opinion it is a top 15 but i would pick lancaster, york or the others around that level.

ReputationRep:
    What did you pick your unis based on?
    The course, the nebulous position it was seen to hold by employers of the profession I want to enter, its location, its aesthetic standards, its living environment, how work was assessed and how many students achieved a 1st. Unistats was extremely useful in getting objective information specific to the course.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.