The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Morrisseya
"in your opinion"

Sorry, I'm not really sure. I'd put Oxford and Cambridge at the top, particularly for job prospects. Durham is prestigious and its quite a nice place.
Obviously it varies by subject. But, in your opinion, what are the top 10 universities in the UK, overall? (Re: prestige/job prospects/everything).

In my opinion:

Cambridge
Oxford
LSE
Imperial
Warwick
Durham
Bath
Bristol
UCL

Then I don't know.
Reply 5
Original post by Tarte Tatin
Sorry, I'm not really sure. I'd put Oxford and Cambridge at the top, particularly for job prospects. Durham is prestigious and its quite a nice place.

Yep, Durham would definitely be on there IMO.
IMO, in no particular order: Cambridge, St Andrews, Bath, Kings College London, Oxford, Imperial, UCL, Edinburgh, Bristol and LSE.
Cambridge
Oxford
LSE
Warwick
Imperial
UCL
Durham
Bristol
St Andrews

My opinion.
In my opinion the order
Oxford
Cambridge
LSE
Duhram
Imperial
St andrews
UCL
Wawrick
Bath
In 10th place it could easily be Lancaster, York, Loughbrough or Exeter they are all equally as good.
- Cambridge
- Oxford
- Imperial
- UCL
- Durham
- Warwick
- Manchester
- Birmingham
- Nottingham
- Bath
Obviously it varies by subject. But, in your opinion, what are the top 10 universities in the UK, overall? (Re: prestige/job prospects/everything).

Are you applying to university this year?
In terms of my perceived reputation which is probably ignorant, I'd say Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, LSE, UCL, Durham, St. Andrews, Edinburgh, Bristol, Warwick.
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
Are you applying to university this year?

Next. I'm not using this to help me decide, though, obviously :smile:
Reply 13
Cambridge
Oxford
LSE
Imperial
UCL
KCL
St Andrews
Edinburgh
Warwick
Durham

Anyone who places any value in the overall league table rankings of universities should re-assess their suitability to be in higher education at all.

Subject rankings are more worthwhile, but are still skewered by things irrelevant to an undergraduate experience like research rating and other factors like student satisfaction which are not objectively compared but subject entirely to the student's expectations prior to beginning the course (such that those at Heriot-Watt are more satisfied than those at Imperial College London). The way more valid factors like graduate prospects are measured is also irritating, since they rarely take account of the type of work being done after the course, and we are consequently expected to believe that Oxford and Cambridge endow their graduates with significantly poorer graduate prospects than other universities.

Ultimately, they're a group of steaming turds that should not impact anyone's university choices.
Next. I'm not using this to help me decide, though, obviously :smile:

Good to hear aha
Original post by Birkenhead
Anyone who places any value in the overall league table rankings of universities should re-assess their suitability to be in higher education at all.

Subject rankings are more worthwhile, but are still skewered by things irrelevant to an undergraduate experience like research rating and other factors like student satisfaction which are not objectively compared but subject entirely to the student's expectations prior to beginning the course (such that those at Heriot-Watt are more satisfied than those at Imperial College London). The way more valid factors like graduate prospects are measured is also irritating, since they rarely take account of the type of work being done after the course, and we are consequently expected to believe that Oxford and Cambridge endow their graduates with significantly poorer graduate prospects than other universities.

Ultimately, they're a group of steaming turds that should not impact anyone's university choices.

What did you pick your unis based on?
Original post by TheMagican
In my opinion the order
Oxford
Cambridge
LSE
Duhram
Imperial
St andrews
UCL
Wawrick
Bath
In 10th place it could easily be Lancaster, York, Loughbrough or Exeter they are all equally as good.

I would wager a strong bet that Loughborough and Lancaster are not superior institutions to Bristol and Edinburgh.
Original post by Birkenhead
I would wager a strong bet that Loughborough and Lancaster are not superior institutions to Bristol and Edinburgh.

Hmm, Edinburgh actually i would say is as good as Lancaster, as for loughbrough yes it is better. Personally i never have seen why Bristol is seen by many as a top 10, in my opinion it is a top 15 but i would pick lancaster, york or the others around that level.
What did you pick your unis based on?

The course, the nebulous position it was seen to hold by employers of the profession I want to enter, its location, its aesthetic standards, its living environment, how work was assessed and how many students achieved a 1st. Unistats was extremely useful in getting objective information specific to the course.

Latest

Trending

Trending