Turn on thread page Beta

shall i start revising now? watch

ReputationRep:
    Guys wa do you think, i have 3 AS modules in january, (bio,chem and psychology) do you think i should start revising from now? If so, for how long a day?

ReputationRep:
    Dont say these things!!! Topics like this scare me.

ReputationRep:
    whyy??? lol, I need to know whether or not to start revising, because exams are only in 2 and quarter months time!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but thats less than the time you have been learning the content. Its crazy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ankreds)
    whyy??? lol, I need to know whether or not to start revising, because exams are only in 2 and quarter months time!
    i sort of know what you mean cos with gcses, the teachers had us revising about 2months before the actual exams so you'd expect to do the same sort of thing with AS'. i guess you could start reading through your notes now to refresh your memory on stuff you've covered, but there's no point starting hardcore revision yet cos you wont finish the syllabus until right before the exams

ReputationRep:
    hey pall.

I can only advice you with Biology and Chemistry because im doing these subjects. I suggest you start revising for Biology the most as you really really need to get used to the terminology. In the exam u need to apply loads of scientific vocab and explain things in detail so make sure u revise extra hard for Biology. For Chemistry (if u r doing AQA) i would start revising for Mass spectrometry (get used to the thing!), learn the 4 stages of a mass spectrometre. Also remember to revise/get comfortable with stuff like Ionization Energies and the factors that affect ionization energies cuz they tend to ask questions about IE.

I hope i helped.

ReputationRep:
    "revising" is an overused term. I have a psychology exam in January (A2).

All I'm doing is making sure I have all my notes- if I miss a lesson, copy up etc, and make sure my notes are neat and coherant, and maybe trying reading them every now and then. I'm trying to start writing out model essays etc.

I defnitely didn't start revising for my psychology exam this early, as like others have said we'd barely touched the syllabus, but as you have three exams, I'd probably try to spend a bit more time reading your text books etc, making sure you ask if you don't understand something, that kind of thing!

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to start revising after the October half-term because I have 4 A2 exams in January. Last year, I had 3 AS exams in Jan and I started revising history in November, but I didn't revise my other two subjects (MAths and Chem) until December/January. However, I do go over my notes after lessons and check that I do know everything after the lessons so that when it comes to revision I am just remembering stuff I already know.

ReputationRep:
    The answer depends on yourself. I make sure i understand everything i have been taught once i have left the classroom door. If not i read up on it and try to understand. Eventually i will forget in a month or so, but atleast i understood and won't need to re understand and struggle later. And i then just revise in 'intense' mode lol during long holidays like xmas,easter and almost everyday in the 2 months before exams.

Revision = Self-Discipline, how much 'YOU' want it.

ReputationRep:
    Im doing 2 retakes in January (maths and chem) and I intend on starting work for them within the next few weeks. Then again, I really need to ace both exams to improve my grades significantly.

ReputationRep:
    Go through your notes during the half term I would say and make sure they are organised and ready for revision and then in a couple of weeks maybe begin revising

ReputationRep:
    I would refuse to revise just yet... refuse to even start thinking about revising until after half term.

Still... each to their own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lil_groovy_dude)
    Go through your notes during the half term I would say and make sure they are organised and ready for revision and then in a couple of weeks maybe begin revising
    Yep ditto, I remember when we were all in the GCSE forums :rolleyes:, and now we are discussing or first test at As level. GCSE seem ages ago now dont they?

ReputationRep:
    yea, just go over your notes for now, constantly refresh your memory. You will need to take a lot of info and cramming it in at the lask moment isn't as easy as it was at gcse :P

ReputationRep:
    Revise now? lol I havent even started my AS in English let alone prepare for January exams...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    Revise now? lol I havent even started my AS in English let alone prepare for January exams...
    Why haven't you started you AS English????:confused: :confused: :confused:

ReputationRep:
    what i doing right now is making sure i understand everything we've covered in the lessons and sorting my notes out. i'll probably start v. light revision at half-term and then more intensive revision at christmas

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xrypto)
    Why haven't you started you AS English????:confused: :confused: :confused:
    Doing it distance learning. I only just signed up so waiting on work.

ReputationRep:
    No, you shouldnt

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps just a short period of reviewing at the end of each session e.g. 10 minutes to ensure understanding. This will make it easier when you come to revision as you will just need to remember rather than learn, particularly with difficult concepts/ ideas. I find it helpful to write a timetable. As you are doing the exams for the first time, I would recommend taking it steady as you won't have covered a lto of the content, but it is never too early. The advantage is you will be able to review it regularly to ensure that you remember and ensures you have enough time to cover everything in detail.

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.