AS level C1 Diffrentiation help (real quick) Watch

Fruitbasket786
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Okay, from the previous post I'm not extremely stuck. I've got the equation of the line correct I don't know how to find the co ordinates
"Find the equation of the normal to the curve with equation y equals the square root of x at the point (1,1)
Calculate the co ordinates of the point at which this normal meets the graph of y equal negative square root of x"

From finding out the normal which I did successfully I got y=-2x+3
But where do I go from there?
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Fruitbasket786)
Okay, from the previous post I'm not extremely stuck. I've got the equation of the line correct I don't know how to find the co ordinates
"Find the equation of the normal to the curve with equation y equals the square root of x at the point (1,1)
Calculate the co ordinates of the point at which this normal meets the graph of y equal negative square root of x"

From finding out the normal which I did successfully I got y=-2x+3
But where do I go from there?
I'm assuming your answer to the first part is correct. You know that the following statements will be true for this point: y=-2x+3 and y=-x^0.5. So what's the obvious thing to do?
Fruitbasket786
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Chlorophile)
I'm assuming your answer to the first part is correct. You know that the following statements will be true for this point: y=-2x+3 and y=-x^0.5. So what's the obvious thing to do?
They're a simultaneous equation? So you should substitute the values into each other or eliminate depending which is easier really. I think substituting them into each other would work. Is that right?
Jordan97
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
They're a simultaneous equation? So you should substitute the values into each other or eliminate depending which is easier really. I think substituting them into each other would work. Is that right?
Substitution is always the way to go.
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well just make them equal... -x^0.5=-2x+3
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (44)
37.29%
No - but I will (4)
3.39%
No - I don't want to (5)
4.24%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (65)
55.08%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise