"No special preparation is required" - Interviews Watch

BitWindy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello

I have an interview for PPE coming up, and I was wondering how much we are really expected to know.

For instance, I've read up on some sample questions including:
  • Discuss Plato's theory of knowledge
  • What happens to wages in a country when it opens up to international trade?
  • Explain the AV voting system and the positive and negative effects it could have if brought in in the UK?

I have a pretty good idea as to how I would answer them, but they make me wonder what is really expected of us so far as prior knowledge goes.

The Plato question is particularly unsettling because there are plenty of things he and his associates wrote about which I probably know nothing about.

Thanks
jadys10
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Here are a list of a few other previous interview questions:
http://www.oxfordinterviewquestions.com/questions/ppe/
As for the interview, it's more of a discussion I'm told, that they will ask you a question and you're supposed to "think out loud" as they want to see your thinking process and how you would go about answering a question and they will also prompt you in a direction or add information you're not expected to know some A* grade answer.
Schrödingers Cat
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
One word. Bull****

They say this to further narrow down the people who are applying as people who don't prepare will do badly in the interview
BitWindy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Schrödingers Cat)
One word. Bull****

They say this to further narrow down the people who are applying as people who don't prepare will do badly in the interview
Yes, well, I'm more enquiring after what being 'prepared' means. PPE covers so many areas of discussion that it seems almost impossible to be prepared for all of them.
Schrödingers Cat
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by BitWindy)
Yes, well, I'm more enquiring after what being 'prepared' means. PPE covers so many areas of discussion that it seems almost impossible to be prepared for all of them.
Oh right, in that case I can't help you :laugh:
LuxVeritatis
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Schrödingers Cat)
One word. Bull****

No, it's not. Interviews, especially for the arts, are discussions. Aside from the opening question - which really has no bearing on how you do - there is no way you can prepare yourself. Just think clearly and in logical steps. That's all.
Estreth
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You will not be asked to discuss Plato's theory of knowledge if the interviewers have no evidence that you've even read Plato. (And nor will there be any expectation that you've read Plato!)

In short, you won't be expected to know anything other than what they have evidence for in your personal statement or in your school studies. They will expect you to have thought about the things you've studied in much more depth than is required for your course, and they will expect you to able to think through a problem on the spot even if it relates to subject matter you've never encountered before. The economics and politics questions you cite there sound more plausible in that, e.g., a serious politics candidate can be expected to know at a basic level what AV is (especially given that there was a referendum on it in the current Parliament), and the positive and negative effects, if they've never thought about them, they can consider on the spot.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 3 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (443)
37.83%
No - but I will (88)
7.51%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (560)
47.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed