Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have my GG3 Investigative Geography exam in just over two weeks and today i got some past papers but i can't do some of the questions, so i need help on these...please. I feel thick. Hah. Sorry there are a lot, i'm a dumbass. *Waves goodbye to good grade* If you can just answer one, then please do. Taa.

Questions

(1) "Why is it usually a good idea for a geography investigation title to be written in the form of a question?" [2]

(2) "Suggest two possible sources of information about previous flooding on the floodplain" [2]

(3) "Suggest two possible sources of information that the student could have used in order to find out what the location of these shops and finanical services had been in 1980." [2]

(4) "Discuss one advantage and two disadvantages of the dot mapping technique." [3]

(5) "Suggest one primary method that the students could have used in order to get the required information on either rock type or slope gradient." [2]

(6) "Explain why the students planned their investigation by choosing two drainage basins with contrasting physical characteristics." [3]

(7) "The student decided that it would be difficult to visit all 150 households in order to find out their views on the proposed development, and that he would therefore 'sample' 20% of the households. State three problems that the student may have encountered if he had attempted to visit all the 150 households in the village." [3]

(8) "Suggest one main advantage and one main disadvantage of the isoline technique." [2]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    I have my GG3 Investigative Geography exam in just over two weeks and today i got some past papers but i can't do some of the questions, so i need help on these...please. I feel thick. Hah. Sorry there are a lot, i'm a dumbass. *Waves goodbye to good grade* If you can just answer one, then please do. Taa.

Questions

(1) "Why is it usually a good idea for a geography investigation title to be written in the form of a question?" [2]
    It gives a clear hypothesis which can be tested against results obtained from the investigation and then supported or rejected.

(2) "Suggest two possible sources of information about previous flooding on the floodplain" [2]
    Evidence of marshland? High alluvium content in the soil? (It's hard to know without seeing which floodplain you're refering to).

(3) "Suggest two possible sources of information that the student could have used in order to find out what the location of these shops and finanical services had been in 1980." [2]
    Goad maps (Can't think of another one - sorry!)

(4) "Discuss one advantage and two disadvantages of the dot mapping technique." [3]
    Ad: Makes patterns of distribution clear without requiring any analysis.
    Dis: It is difficult to pick the size of the dot, and what the amount it represents. Hard to know the exact position to place the dot, as it can create the impression that there is a dramatic change at the boundary/edge of the dot.

(5) "Suggest one primary method that the students could have used in order to get the required information on either rock type or slope gradient." [2]
    Rock type: Lithology? Collecting a random sample of rocks and analysing with geology books? (Not sure about this!)
    Slope gradient: Profiling with a dumpy level.

(6) "Explain why the students planned their investigation by choosing two drainage basins with contrasting physical characteristics." [3]
    To enable better comparison of results so that it can be seen how different factors affect question presented in hypothesis.

(7) "The student decided that it would be difficult to visit all 150 households in order to find out their views on the proposed development, and that he would therefore 'sample' 20% of the households. State three problems that the student may have encountered if he had attempted to visit all the 150 households in the village." [3]
    Limitations of time
    Safety issues - approaching strangers
    Individuals in households unwilling to participate

(8) "Suggest one main advantage and one main disadvantage of the isoline technique." [2]
    Ad: Can show concentrations/heights clearly on first glane
    Dis: Difficult to know where to place value boundaries

I just had a really quick stab at this - some of it's just guesses. If you need further explanation let me know. Hope it helps a little bit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)

I just had a really quick stab at this - some of it's just guesses. If you need further explanation let me know. Hope it helps a little bit
    pretty much spot on! many of the things are common sense = e.g. sources of information for previous flooding - this could include anything from hydrogrpah,photos,vegetation maps...etc!

ReputationRep:

Thank you Ellie!
    My main problem is that i always thing they're looking for a complex answer when often it's sooo simple!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    Thank you Ellie!
    My main problem is that i always thing they're looking for a complex answer when often it's sooo simple!
    Yeah I know. I think the skills paper is meant to be fairly straight forward, you often lose marks for not stating the obvious. I'm sure you'll do great!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I know. I think the skills paper is meant to be fairly straight forward, you often lose marks for not stating the obvious. I'm sure you'll do great!
    one thing ive found out from the skilss paper is that marks are given out rather generously - there are 15 mark questions that require you to write maybe 5 points :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    one thing ive found out from the skilss paper is that marks are given out rather generously - there are 15 mark questions that require you to write maybe 5 points :eek:
    Lol really? Hope that means the grade boundaries won't be pushed up ridiculously high! What exam board was that for?

ReputationRep:
    Lol really? Hope that means the grade boundaries won't be pushed up ridiculously high! What exam board was that for?
    im doin ocr

ReputationRep:
    im doin ocr
    Ah I'm Edexcel, probably doesn't apply!

ReputationRep:
    Ah I'm Edexcel, probably doesn't apply!
    ahh oh well you guys have done like a mini investigation project/coursework too right?

ReputationRep:
    ahh oh well you guys have done like a mini investigation project/coursework too right?
    Nope Haven't done any coursework for Geog since GCSE. I went on a 9 day field course in Jan to prepare us for the skills exam. The skills exam is the option our school picked for us, rather than putting us in for coursework. God bless 'em

ReputationRep:
    Nope Haven't done any coursework for Geog since GCSE. I went on a 9 day field course in Jan to prepare us for the skills exam. The skills exam is the option our school picked for us, rather than putting us in for coursework. God bless 'em
    ahh i see we have to do both a coursework and a skills paper :eek: i cant be arsed to revise for geog atm, will leave it till the last day before the exam

ReputationRep:
    ahh i see we have to do both a coursework and a skills paper :eek: i cant be arsed to revise for geog atm, will leave it till the last day before the exam
    Ditto! All energy is going on my German oral on Monday atm. Well, once I have some energy, that's where I'll put it...

ReputationRep:
    Nope. Went on four seperate fieldwork days. That's it!

ReputationRep:
    Ditto! All energy is going on my German oral on Monday atm. Well, once I have some energy, that's where I'll put it...
    ive done my german oral - weve got to do a role-play and a presentation..anyways - whens ur first exam? (apart from oral)?

ReputationRep:
    ive done my german oral - weve got to do a role-play and a presentation..anyways - whens ur first exam? (apart from oral)?
    No fair! How did it go? It's the skills exam on the 21st, then German on the 25th. You?

ReputationRep:
    No fair! How did it go? It's the skills exam on the 21st, then German on the 25th. You?
    computing 17th, m1 24th

ReputationRep:
    Questions

(1) "Why is it usually a good idea for a geography investigation title to be written in the form of a question?" [2] Taget investigation, definite answer to set task, controlled line of enquiry, specific, not to general/broad, others can follow it, allows relationships to be seen/analysed...blah waffley waffley

(2) "Suggest two possible sources of information about previous flooding on the floodplain" [2] Town Records office (hydrographs, news reports, any documentation...) , alluvial deposits, eye witness accounts, weather reports...again...just waffle...oo satelite images (nice!)

(3) "Suggest two possible sources of information that the student could have used in order to find out what the location of these shops and finanical services had been in 1980." [2] Old maps, planning offices, questionaires to businesses, ask people who lived there in 1980...blagging

(4) "Discuss one advantage and two disadvantages of the dot mapping technique." [3] (is this about that density of dots things?) Data has visual impact, clearly presented data for easy analysis...time consuming, difficult...general stuff

(5) "Suggest one primary method that the students could have used in order to get the required information on either rock type or slope gradient." [2] slope gradient, use clinometer...measure slope at 10m intervals. Align holes of clinometer with point on slope, take reading. Rock type, collect samples, test physical properties (permeability, mass, crystals, structure...) also geology maps can be all pretty & colourful?

(6) "Explain why the students planned their investigation by choosing two drainage basins with contrasting physical characteristics." [3] This was our paper!! Ha dunno, can see differences caused by the different physical landscapes. Allows for a degree of comparisson. errm wasn't the whole bit longer? i can vaguely remember it. See how differences affect the river etc...

(7) "The student decided that it would be difficult to visit all 150 households in order to find out their views on the proposed development, and that he would therefore 'sample' 20% of the households. State three problems that the student may have encountered if he had attempted to visit all the 150 households in the village." [3] Time, not all would have positive response to questionaire, lots of data makes it complicated,

(8) "Suggest one main advantage and one main disadvantage of the isoline technique." [2] our paper again. visual impact/easy to interpret, see gradation in slopes, progression etc...hard, (i got it wrong in exam...stoopid!) intervals miss out stuff

I just made all that up so don't rely on any of it, most of it's cr*p!! They just want to see how well you can blag your way through an exam! Get some actual mark schemes from the board (teachers have copies but treat them like gold!) and you soon see the basic pattern of answers! They really are random! You can say the same stuff for each one & get away with it! Just waffle like crazy...worked for me!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Question 3 - an additional source of comercial info is Kelly's Directory - they keep these in main Libraries and it is a record of the commercial activities in a town for a particular year.
    Question 4 - dot maps. they are actually quite inaccurate to work things out from, so although they give a visual indication they are rarely useful to get data FROM.
    Question 6 - look at characteristics that affect infiltration and run off eg geology, soil permeability, vegetation type, steepness of slope, drainage density etc

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.