Will Unis question dropping Computing after AS? Watch

Bobjim12
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I see that the top 3 A levels for a Comp Sci course are maths, f.maths and physics, which is what i am taking on top of Computing.

I can't drop either maths subjects, they are too important.

However, i am really enjoying Physics and not as much as computing (although i still think what is learned is important).

If i were to drop computing, would Unis question it? Would they make sense of it or would they be unsure if i really wanted to do a comp sci course?
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Bobjim12)
I see that the top 3 A levels for a Comp Sci course are maths, f.maths and physics, which is what i am taking on top of Computing.

However, i am really enjoying Physics and not as much as computing (although i still think what is learned is important).

If i were to drop computing, would Unis question it? Would they make sense of it or would they be unsure if i really wanted to do a comp sci course?
It is true that Maths and Further Maths are definitely more useful than Computing for Computer Science. Rationally, I'd say that there isn't anything wrong with dropping it. Irrationally, I would agree that it would look a bit weird. You're not keen on the idea of doing 4 A2s?
Bobjim12
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chlorophile)
It is true that Maths and Further Maths are definitely more useful than Computing for Computer Science. Rationally, I'd say that there isn't anything wrong with dropping it. Irrationally, I would agree that it would look a bit weird. You're not keen on the idea of doing 4 A2s?
According to the Uni's websites, they are indeed. I believe it is to do with the lack of computing course offered at sixth forms.

I am considering doing 4 A2s but 4 ASs are just enough for me right now what with all the shabang going on..
jadys10
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

They wont focus on it and consider it as a major thing. It's perfectly normal to drop a subject for A2, you coukd just say you wanted to focus on maths and physics more.

This vid is a bit long but he explains how he got through his alevels, he took computing like you
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aKlW51V67a4
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
According to the Uni's websites, they are indeed. I believe it is to do with the lack of computing course offered at sixth forms.

I am considering doing 4 A2s but 4 ASs are just enough for me right now what with all the shabang going on..
Have you considered emailing universities of interest to see what they think?
Bobjim12
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chlorophile)
Have you considered emailing universities of interest to see what they think?

I suppose that would be the most logical thing to do.
Oxford Computer Science Dept
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
<snip>
We've certainly seen (successful) applicants in this situation before. We want to see that students have a genuine interest in CompSci. But that interest can be shown in many different ways: inside and outside of the classroom. But it's helpful if you can explain your reasons for dropping it in the PS, so we know it's not lack of interest.

For us Maths is essential and Further Maths considered the best preparation for our courses. We'd be happy to see Physics or Computing as a third A Level alongside them.
Bobjim12
Rep:
?
(Original post by Oxford Computer Science Dept)
We've certainly seen (successful) applicants in this situation before. We want to see that students have a genuine interest in CompSci. But that interest can be shown in many different ways: inside and outside of the classroom. But it's helpful if you can explain your reasons for dropping it in the PS, so we know it's not lack of interest.

For us Maths is essential and Further Maths considered the best preparation for our courses. We'd be happy to see Physics or Computing as a third A Level alongside them.
Ok, suppose if i were to produce some work involving computing outside of school (e.g. a simple or maybe slightly complex program) that would boost my application for example?
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ok, suppose if i were to produce some work involving computing outside of school (e.g. a simple or maybe slightly complex program) that would boost my application for example?
It's useful to have things to talk about on the personal statement, to show your interest. We talk more about this here: http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/ugadmissions/...statement.html
Bobjim12
Rep:
?
(Original post by Oxford Computer Science Dept)
It's useful to have things to talk about on the personal statement, to show your interest. We talk more about this here: http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/ugadmissions/...statement.html
Thankyou!
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No problem :-)
Binary Freak
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

You could drop it, if you do then you should seriously consider little competitions to participate in most of them are programming though.. But most universities will dribble over students like that whether they have the A2 or not..
seohyun
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Real men do 4 A2's
jhpy1024
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm sure that as long as you have an explanation for it, it shouldn't really matter. Like others have already said, although it sounds a bit weird, maths and further maths are more valuable than computing.
jhpy1024
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by seohyun)
Real men do 4 A2's
What's the point in doing 4 A2s? All of the uni's I've looked at only ask for 3 A-levels, so doing 4 seems quite pointless. I suppose it might be useful if you're applying for courses that specify a number of UCAS points instead of grades.
seohyun
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jhpy1024)
What's the point in doing 4 A2s? All of the uni's I've looked at only ask for 3 A-levels, so doing 4 seems quite pointless. I suppose it might be useful if you're applying for courses that specify a number of UCAS points instead of grades.
Real men don't do the bare minimum.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.8%
No - but I will (102)
7.68%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.85%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (633)
47.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise