Turn on thread page Beta

When I come across a problem (Maths in particular) I will sit there and think about it for ages, and I can't make myself do something else instead. Today I literally spent two hours in my textbooks and the internet trying to do this one question and I can't get over the fact that I haven't done this question, it physically makes me feel sick? Some people call it "determination" but surely this isn't normal? help....

ReputationRep:
    This is completely normal for a lot of students, I feel the same and that I can't leave something half done, I have to finish it no matter how many hours I waste.
    However it is better to come back to it because sitting for hours trying to solve one problem will just end up with you becoming more and more frustrated and it may not be productive in solving the problem. Sometimes coming back to a problem, you see things in a new perspective or something you hadn't considered before

ReputationRep:
    Agree with jadys10 here, it's normal to feel like that. For me when I was in my final GCSE year, I remember I'd get quite upset if I didn't understand something..which I find stupid and embarrassing now. It's normal and the best thing to do is go onto the next problem and come back to it at the end.

(Original post by jadys10)
    This is completely normal for a lot of students, I feel the same and that I can't leave something half done, I have to finish it no matter how many hours I waste.
    However it is better to come back to it because sitting for hours trying to solve one problem will just end up with you becoming more and more frustrated and it may not be productive in solving the problem. Sometimes coming back to a problem, you see things in a new perspective or something you hadn't considered before
    Thanks for the advice, it's just really frustrating not being able to move on and do something else without feeling guilty.

ReputationRep:
    I think with maths what happens to me is that I keep thinking that I'm nearly there and I try loads of stuff and check everything a billion times and every time I think, 'Oh I've nearly got it so it'll take like 2 minutes' and then I've actually spent an hour doing it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 30, 2014
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.