Economics with finance for mature students Watch

George Fentiman
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there. I'm planning to go to uni next year to do economics with finance, or financial economics. I'm 25 and currently studying business access course. Anyone doing anything similar. Where would you suggest for uni. I'm jiving difficulties as a lot of unis are saying i need a level maths or at least A grade at gcse. Where are others looking at? :facepalm:
Guiltyspark1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by George Fentiman)
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there. I'm planning to go to uni next year to do economics with finance, or financial economics. I'm 25 and currently studying business access course. Anyone doing anything similar. Where would you suggest for uni. I'm jiving difficulties as a lot of unis are saying i need a level maths or at least A grade at gcse. Where are others looking at? :facepalm:
Hey George

I think to counteract the "standard requirements" i.e. A-levels in maths etc you could potentially look at (depending on your chosen career path) doing the CISI Introduction to Investments, or IMC or a similar industry qualification that provides you with the points you may need and shows a strong desire for the career, maths surprisingly doesn't play a major pat in most industry quali's this early on

I hope this helped a little
George Fentiman
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Thanks. I looked online and i agree it would look good. My only problem is the cost involved. And to get the students discount i have to be in full time education, which means waiting to get into uni in the first place!

Posted from TSR Mobile
josh_v
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by George Fentiman)
Posted from TSR Mobile

I did Access course and went on to do Economics and Finance at uni, and now Finance MSc.

What maths are you covering on the Access course? Generally, as far as getting in to a top uni to study Econ/Finance, maths A Level/equivalent is a must have (and Further Maths recommended). In most cases, Access doesn't provide that level of maths knowledge. Economics is also a bonus, but not essential.

For a mid ranked uni, maths isn't essential, but highly recommended. You could probably get in if you have studied Economics at some level. But if you haven't done maths since GCSE or any Economics, the first year is going to be a real struggle - and that them compounds itself as you go on.

As for where I would suggest, that depends on what part of the country you would like to be in.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (443)
37.86%
No - but I will (88)
7.52%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.84%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (559)
47.78%

Watched Threads