This discussion is closed.
Faland
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
V720 - Promissory Oaths (Amendment) Bill 2014, TSR Government

Promissory Oaths (Amendment) Act 2014

An Act that will bring up to date the Oaths of MPs, the Judiciary etc, without religious favour and with a focus on the people of the British Republic.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1. Amendments to be made to the Promissory Oaths Act 1868

Part 1 (2) is replaced with:

(2) Form of oath of allegiance.

The oath in this Act referred to as the oath of allegiance shall be in the form following; that is to say,

“I (name) do swear that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to the citizens and residents of the British Republic, under the law, without fear or favour, affection or ill will, so help me (deity)”, or

“I (name) do swear that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to the citizens and residents of the British Republic, under the law, without fear or favour, affection or ill will.”

Part 1 (3) is replaced with:

(3) Form of official oath.

The oath in this Act referred to as the official oath shall be in the form following; that is to say,

“I (name) do swear that I will well and truly serve the citizens and residents of the British Republic, so help me (deity)”, or

“I (name) do swear that I will well and truly serve the citizens and residents of the British Republic.”

Part 1 (4) is replaced with:

(4) Form of judicial oath.

The oath in this Act referred to as the judicial oath shall be in the form following; that is to say,

“I (name) do swear that I will well and truly serve the citizens and residents of the British Republic, and I will do right to all people, under the law, without fear or favour, affection or ill will. So help me (deity)”, or

“I (name) do swear that I will well and truly serve the citizens and residents of the British Republic, and I will do right to all people, under the law, without fear or favour, affection or ill will.”

2. Commencement, Short Title and Extent

(1) This Act shall be known as the Promissory Oaths Amendment Act 2014
(2) This Act shall extend to the British Republic, and
(3) Shall come into force immediately.

Notes

Currently, the oaths sworn by MPs, Judges and other officials focus on allegiance to the Monarchy instead of the citizens and residents of the United Kingdom/British Republic. The abolition of the Monarchy makes these oaths meaningless.

Also, current oaths are sworn to God. This Acts aims to be inclusive of religious diversity and provide an alternative for those who do not believe in the existence of a deity/deities.

Speaker's Note (27/10/2015): It has come to attention that 'Promissory Oaths Act 1886' was incorrectly spelt - I have correctly amended the date to 1868 to reflect genuine legislation. For more information on this decision, please refer to my post here. Birchington.
Matthew_Lowson
Badges: 17
Report 4 years ago
Oops, wrong button

Can mine be an abstention please?
Faland
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
The Ayes to the right: 25
The Noes to the left: 8
Abstentions: 5

The Ayes have it, the Ayes have it! Unlock!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (112)
38.75%
No - but I will (13)
4.5%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.92%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (144)
49.83%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise