Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Northern Line down tomorrow.

RMT on strike in support of a driver who failed a breath test.

How are these people relevant to the 21st century?

ReputationRep:
    Not relevant at all. People thinking that for some reason they are entitled to more than they actually are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zaros)
    Not relevant at all. People thinking that for some reason they are entitled to more than they actually are.
    People would freak out if they knew how much tube staff get paid, especially for public holidays and special events. They make bankers look like Helots.

ReputationRep:
    Get rid of them all. The trains are designed to be run automatically.

ReputationRep:
    Why are they even allowed to strike? If we would go on a strike at work, they would fire all of us straight away. All these RMT idiots just cause so much trouble to other passengers who commute daily to work/university/other stuff.

Out of curiosity, how much do they get paid per hour? :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    Northern Line down tomorrow.

RMT on strike in support of a driver who failed a breath test.

How are these people relevant to the 21st century?
    According to the RMT, claims that alcohol was involved are completely untrue.

They say that the driver suffered from a medical condition, was victimised and harassed, and was dismissed after TfL failed to follow procedures.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InnerTemple)
    According to the RMT, claims that alcohol was involved are completely untrue.

They say that the driver suffered from a medical condition, was victimised and harassed, and was dismissed after TfL failed to follow procedures.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think the RMT are actually saying that alcohol was not involved because the test was a false-positive - which is entirely their claim.

This hasn't been proven either way, but how on earth is this a strike issue?

If he has been dismissed or harrassed or victimised, the driver has his redress through the ET. He'll get some money and his job back. Instead, hundreds of thousands of people are going to be inconvenienced for no good reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForgetMe)
    Why are they even allowed to strike? If we would go on a strike at work, they would fire all of us straight away.
    I guess they're allowed to strike because they're not as easily replaceable as you?

ReputationRep:
    The RMT are out of control of course. Unfortunately there are no mechanisms other than the remaining unions by which ordinary people can have their interests listened to. By demonising the unions over the past forty years we have sold ourselves and our kids for a few pieces of silver, and in many cases not even that. With so many basic workers' rights being rescinded by the current government, and a desire to leave the European Convention so they can reach into our very homes and persons and remove our human rights, the very last thing this country needs is more restrictions on who can go on strike and when.

So the RMT are no true Scotsmen, but to muzzle the unions further would be baby out with the bathwater as usual (in cases where it suits the rich, at least).

Why are they even allowed to strike? If we would go on a strike at work, they would fire all of us straight away. All these RMT idiots just cause so much trouble to other passengers who commute daily to work/university/other stuff.

So stop whining and collectivise within your industry. Isn't neoliberalism meant to be about standing up for yourself, not expecting the government to pass laws which favour you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phoebe Buffay)
    Get rid of them all. The trains are designed to be run automatically.
    Seeing as I'm not a Londoner I guess this doesn't really effect me, but do you have anything to back that up with?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    People would freak out if they knew how much tube staff get paid, especially for public holidays and special events. They make bankers look like Helots.
    Lol it's almost sickening...

(Original post by Skip_Snip)
    I guess they're allowed to strike because they're not as easily replaceable as you?
    Oh yeah...sure...a system so automated it's practically usable without human input.

The funny thing is it wouldn't take much to totally automate these things, driverless cars are doing very well, automated something on such a relatively simple track system wouldn't be very difficult at all.

In fact even more hilarious is this plays completely into Boris and others plans for the network. He has promised automated routes within a few years, the Union is completely frothing at the mouth over it because they KNOW their staff are replaceable, akin to workers who used to manage all aspects of automotive manufacture, but have now been replaced with robotics. His golden sentence of why it was such a good idea was "to stop us being at the ransom of these constant strikes"......yeah keep going Unions lol, just be ready to turn around and explain to your members why the robot trams are running with more efficiency than they did and don't have any days off striking, thus they've all lost their jobs. and that maybe they'd have had a chance at keeping them if you'd had any realistic demands considering how well paid they were and what everyone else had to deal with.

ReputationRep:
    This is the situation most companies, services and unions had in the 1970s, and for all her faults, Thatcher sorted it out. These people strike for whatever they want because they are greedy and know just how much power they hold in terms of travel, especially in London. Striking is a basic working right, and we should not take that away (in some cases, it is absolutely necessary), but it is ridiculous now, and the tube/train workers are particularly bad. We need to limit their power, and limit the amount and severity of the strikes (as well as look at the reasons for them in the first place).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey11223)
    Oh yeah...sure...a system so automated it's practically usable without human input.

The funny thing is it wouldn't take much to totally automate these things, driverless cars are doing very well, automated something on such a relatively simple track system wouldn't be very difficult at all.

In fact even more hilarious is this plays completely into Boris and others plans for the network. He has promised automated routes within a few years, the Union is completely frothing at the mouth over it because they KNOW their staff are replaceable, akin to workers who used to manage all aspects of automotive manufacture, but have now been replaced with robotics. His golden sentence of why it was such a good idea was "to stop us being at the ransom of these constant strikes"......yeah keep going Unions lol, just be ready to turn around and explain to your members why the robot trams are running with more efficiency than they did and don't have any days off striking, thus they've all lost their jobs. and that maybe they'd have had a chance at keeping them if you'd had any realistic demands considering how well paid they were and what everyone else had to deal with.
    Only certain lines are heavily automated.

In any event, even with fully automated trains, you need someone on the train to do things like open/close the doors, help people, drive it when the computer breaks.

I'd imagine that drivers would just become passenger service agents like you see on the Docklands Light Railway.

ReputationRep:
    True story: A friend is a freshly minted PhD and got his first job at an uni in the Southeast. We walked into a tube station with a job ad for station assistant with TFL. The job requires GCSE and a few years' work, pays more gross and has more perks (free travel pass, pension and job security) than a new PhD. Gi figure.

• TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    If he has been dismissed or harrassed or victimised, the driver has his redress through the ET. He'll get some money and his job back. Instead, hundreds of thousands of people are going to be inconvenienced for no good reason.
    ^

This is what should have happened.

I can't believe one person is stopping a whole tube line, it's absolutely bizarre. People need to take responsibility for themselves, if the person involved really does have some kind of medical condition why isn't it noted in his personnel file?

ReputationRep:

I'd imagine that drivers would just become passenger service agents like you see on the Docklands Light Railway.
    aye but realistically would you want to pay them the same salary as you do now? If so you're not really saving by automating...I mean basic starting salary is over 40k.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Seems like the strike wasn't supported, so hasn't made much impact:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/trans...t-9894536.html
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I expect tube drivers won't be around much longer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey11223)
    aye but realistically would you want to pay them the same salary as you do now? If so you're not really saving by automating...I mean basic starting salary is over 40k.
    If I was TfL? Bloody hell no. I'd want to pay them as little as I could get away with. Then the Government/Taxpayer can top up their wages with welfare benefits.

ReputationRep:
    If I was TfL? Bloody hell no. I'd want to pay them as little as I could get away with. Then the Government/Taxpayer can top up their wages with welfare benefits.
    Lol no living wage supporter? You parasite!

But seriously I mean lets be realistic, if the tube train is driving itself 99% of the time, and you very occasionally might have to take over, so you're a glorified customer service person, surely the salary would have to have a significant cut? I mean I assume they may not be able to with current drivers, but as they retired new folks get less (happened where I work). Because really bar giving an inner city pay increase compared to outside it, the job would surely be more like a £20-30k thing not £40k starting salary + benefits (which for long term employees can amount to over £60k).

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.