Car AUX socket not working properly??!! please help asap ): Watch

Seems Legit
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi, not sure where to post this.

I really hope I can get some help with this. So two days ago, i was reaching over for something in my car and i accidentally jerked my aux cable out of the socket pretty harshly. i plugged it back into the socket but the sound from my ipod was suddenly messed up and distorted. At first i was worried it was an issue with the speakers, so i switched to the fm radio and everything sounded fine, i also played a cd and the sound was perfect, seemed to be a fault with the aux only.
You know like when your earphones suddenly starts messing up and the sound comes out distorted - like the mix and sound quality of the music is messed up, can only hear treble parts, cant hear lyrics etc the mix and audio quality is messed up.

I figured i might have just damaged the actual aux cable/bent it or something. so i went to halfords to buy a new aux cable but when i plugged it into the aux socket in the car and still have the same problem.
Really upset as i dont know what to do and i rely on aux to listen to my music when i drive.

The aux socket is by the gear knob and looks something like this

I really dont know what to do, i'm pretty upset by this as i was hoping it would have been solved by a simple replacement of the aux cable, i got a brand new one and the sound is still messed up - i dont know what to do and how to fix this problem. normally when this happens to my earphones i just get new earphones.
Attached files
Binary Freak
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Seems Legit)
x
You could try fiddling with it a little?

I find most of the time when sound/music gets distorted I just play with it a little when the cable is plugged in. It won't work permanently obviously but it could do the job until you can afford to get it fixed?
Seems Legit
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Binary Freak)
You could try fiddling with it a little?

I find most of the time when sound/music gets distorted I just play with it a little when the cable is plugged in. It won't work permanently obviously but it could do the job until you can afford to get it fixed?
Hey thanks for the reply - i'v tried fiddling i'm just scared of causing more damage to the aux socket if i try pushing in the cable to much since i dont really know what has caused this or whats causing the distortion :L
Binary Freak
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Seems Legit)
Hey thanks for the reply - i'v tried fiddling i'm just scared of causing more damage to the aux socket if i try pushing in the cable to much since i dont really know what has caused this or whats causing the distortion :L
Don't try pushing it in too much. Just try fiddling with it a little bit when it's plugged in.. Might even be worth playing with the cable a bit?
mikeyd85
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It sounds like you've damaged the socket itself. Theoretically, that's a very simple fix - simply remove it and pop in a new one. Getting a new one might be a challenge.

Do you have Bluetooth in your car? If so, you could use a Bluetooth transmitter.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (344)
37.84%
No - but I will (72)
7.92%
No - I don't want to (65)
7.15%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (428)
47.08%

Watched Threads