Case Studies? Explain. Watch

ellieeee93
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I just don't understand the concept of case studies.

- What are they?
- If I'm told to 'include case studies' to support what i'm saying in an assignment, how do I include them? Put them in my own words? Talk about it abstractly or word for word?
- Do I have to reference them?

Thanks in advance.
thepurplerain
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Is this for Geography?
yasminkarabasic
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ellieeee93)
I just don't understand the concept of case studies.

- What are they?
- If I'm told to 'include case studies' to support what i'm saying in an assignment, how do I include them? Put them in my own words? Talk about it abstractly or word for word?
- Do I have to reference them?

Thanks in advance.
Case studies are examples of stories and situations- they are all about an individual or a specific thing! I don't know what subject this is for, but I do psychology and use case studies all the time.
Case studies can be used just like empirical / statistical data like graphs , as supporting evidence for something! Example from psychology, There were sort of questions about what area of the brain does what etc such as memory/movement and a case study about a guy called HM was used to support it and he basically had severe epilepsy , the doctors thought they could fix it by removing part of his hippocampus (part of the brain). They cured his epilepsy, however he gained retrograde amnesia. So this supports the idea that the hippocampus is something to do with memory....

Case studies have their strengths , and they have their weaknesses. Strengths include that they are rich in qualitative data, and idiographic so you can look at the person /thing uniquely! Weaknesses that they can't be generalised to the general public (who knows if what happened to HM will happen to someone else) and they are non falsifiable (cannot be proved wrong)

Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.66%
No - but I will (103)
7.73%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (637)
47.79%

Watched Threads