Turn on thread page Beta

Whats the phycology behind pple who turn homo. i mean i dont get it. is it becaused they are abused. is it because they dont get any women/men. WHAT IS IT???

ReputationRep:
    they do it because its a free country and then can women and men are not that much different really

is it becaused they are abused. is it because they dont get any women/men. WHAT IS IT??? [/B]
    People are homosexual because it is what they are. Consider comparing what you said to asking "are people black because (insert racist remark here)".

Originally posted by Unregistered
    People are homosexual because it is what they are. Consider comparing what you said to asking "are people black because (insert racist remark here)".
    Being an ethnic minority and being homosexual are two completely different issues and trying to classify them as the same thing is offensive to ethnic minorities.

A black person cannot hide the fact they are black, a homosexual can keep their sexuality to themselves and only reveal it when they wish.

Homosexuality is a purely psychologically based thing, there is nothing genetic about being homosexual - you are because you wish to be. Being black/brown/white is purely genetic, there is choice in the matter and it can never be changed. I do not have a hostility towards homosexuals even if it don't agree with them but the above description of homosexuality is offensive to me as an ethnic minority.

ReputationRep:
    Being an ethnic minority and being homosexual are two completely different issues and trying to classify them as the same thing is offensive to ethnic minorities.

A black person cannot hide the fact they are black, a homosexual can keep their sexuality to themselves and only reveal it when they wish.

Homosexuality is a purely psychologically based thing, there is nothing genetic about being homosexual - you are because you wish to be. Being black/brown/white is purely genetic, there is choice in the matter and it can never be changed. I do not have a hostility towards homosexuals even if it don't agree with them but the above description of homosexuality is offensive to me as an ethnic minority.
    I disagree - sorry but you're wrong. Your sexuality isn't something you can just 'choose', as you put it.

There's no evidence to suggest it isn't genetic. The fact is, nobody knows.

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick. The person who posted the third post in this thread was commenting on the fact that being homosexual or being heterosexual are just different characteristic of human beings - just like having black skin or white skin are different characteristics. He did not mention anything to do with ethnic minorities, and besides a white person in a predominately black society is an ethnic minority.

The argument that sexuality is purely choice is completely unfounded. What evidence do you have to support the suggestion that personality is nothing to do with genetics?

...alright so someone beat me to it.

ReputationRep:
    whoever thinks they have a degree in psychology and knows how one is a homosexual.. is ever so slightly narrow minded, for he is an expert with years of research rite??
    and to that ethnic minority geeser, if sumone sed that one is a homosexula just as one is black/white/asian whateva.. is in no way racist or a derogatory connotation.. he is merely implyin it is sumthin u r born with.. and cannot change
    no need to jump at nethin that sounds merely racist.. thats what the world is comin too today.. with too many ppl tryin to be politically correct. like the ppl who think we need to change a flag, to represent all races of this country.. thats just dumb.. england is england.. u come here.. u respect it

homosexuality is definied in your genes as is with your personality.

...so there you have it. Decades research have finally proven that personality is completely genetic, and therefore out of our control. We don't have to worry about anything anymore as your fate is already decided. Maybe not.

no one really knows how they themselves think, but a very high percentage of your personaliities are defined in genes and very low percentage by the environment. within the genes for personality maybe the homo gene is the hetero gene gone rong?

something triggers the gene, all theory, not fact. YET.

ReputationRep:
    People will always use Science as a means to limit free choice.

ReputationRep:
    Originally posted by Jac
    People will always use Science as a means to limit free choice.
    as Michale jackson says... THATS IGNORANCE.... Jac, wen so many ppl have shown that u r born with it.. its narrow minded to say its free will..

ReputationRep:
    I believe homosexuality is a form of psychological condition. The only reason people aren't treated as such, is the person behaves in a perfectly normal way. I agree that we don't "know" what causes this.

no one really knows how they themselves think, but a very high percentage of your personaliities are defined in genes and very low percentage by the environment. within the genes for personality maybe the homo gene is the hetero gene gone rong?
    There are no 'gone wrong' genes, just genes which induce phenotypes which are less suited to the environment.

Consider this: as Homo sapiens were evolving, a homosexual gene would not be a favourable gene as no offspring would be produced and so this gene could not be passed on to future generations. This means that it would be unlikely that a homosexual gene would be present in today's human beings. Not entirely bombproof but does cast doubt on the argument that sexuality is genetic.

ReputationRep:
    Homosexuality is not a gene. It is a direct result of enviroment and upbringing.

This is an interesting question

I do believe that upbringing and certain environmental factors could perhaps affect sexuality, but also I know of people from very stable and loving upbringings, with both parents, and a very loving childhood without abuse, who are homosexual.

Its weird, but it's life. forget it, just accept people for who they are regardless of thier sexuality.

ReputationRep:
    although i think its most probably sumthin u r born with,,, funnily enuf sayin u know ppl who came from luvin backrounds who are gay.. is not too clever.. as many ppl say thats the reason.. u know ur average mommas boy lol

ReputationRep:
    Whats the phycology behind pple who turn homo. i mean i dont get it. is it becaused they are abused. is it because they dont get any women/men. WHAT IS IT???
    Modern science is usually of the opinion that your sexuality is not a discrete variate. In other words, everyone is bisexual, but some people veer more to one end of the spectrum than others, either because their genes dictate a stronger attraction to one sex, or because of social stereotypes preventing them from feeling comfortable exploring the other end of their sexual spectrum.

It is thus very unlikely that there is a defect in someone who prefers same sex relationships, it is merely that their sexual spectrum is different to someone else's. One must distuinguish between sex for reproduction's sake which only works man on woman, and sex for gratification, which works either way. They should be treated as two entirely different mechanisms, as that is what they are. That's why we have contraception. That then renders the argument that heterosexuality is right and natural because it's used for the reproduction mechanism void, as you are comparing two different aims (sexual gratification and reproduction), the fact that they happen to use the same areas of the body is irrelevant. The mouth is used for both eating and speaking is it not, but is one any more right or natural than the other?

Regards,

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.