What makes people homosexual? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Its because they're gay...

They are born with battiness probably, because most benders already know they are queer when they are children. So they must be born that way.
barbiegrl
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Unregistered
Being an ethnic minority and being homosexual are two completely different issues and trying to classify them as the same thing is offensive to ethnic minorities.

A black person cannot hide the fact they are black, a homosexual can keep their sexuality to themselves and only reveal it when they wish.

Homosexuality is a purely psychologically based thing, there is nothing genetic about being homosexual - you are because you wish to be. Being black/brown/white is purely genetic, there is choice in the matter and it can never be changed. I do not have a hostility towards homosexuals even if it don't agree with them but the above description of homosexuality is offensive to me as an ethnic minority.
purely genetic, there is choice in the matter and it can never be changed.
can i just say one word about the above quote

Micheal Jackson "!!!!!!
reasonable man
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by rahaydenuk
Modern science is usually of the opinion that your sexuality is not a discrete variate. In other words, everyone is bisexual, but some people veer more to one end of the spectrum than others, either because their genes dictate a stronger attraction to one sex, or because of social stereotypes preventing them from feeling comfortable exploring the other end of their sexual spectrum.

It is thus very unlikely that there is a defect in someone who prefers same sex relationships, it is merely that their sexual spectrum is different to someone else's. One must distuinguish between sex for reproduction's sake which only works man on woman, and sex for gratification, which works either way. They should be treated as two entirely different mechanisms, as that is what they are. That's why we have contraception. That then renders the argument that heterosexuality is right and natural because it's used for the reproduction mechanism void, as you are comparing two different aims (sexual gratification and reproduction), the fact that they happen to use the same areas of the body is irrelevant. The mouth is used for both eating and speaking is it not, but is one any more right or natural than the other?

Regards,
I agree that it is most likely that there are no true heterosexuals or homosexuals. However, if genes dictate a stronger attraction to one sex, then isn't it more probable that genes which confer stronger attraction to the opposite sex were passed on when humans were evolving?

Sex for reproduction and sex for gratification have two separate aims in our species today. However that has not always been the case, and the production of offspring in prehistoric times may have only been a consequence of the latter aim. Therefore, for this reason, it may be deemed that heterosexual sex is natural.

But things today are far more complicated. For example, killing another human in past times may have been necessary for survival. In the present day, most people would agree that it's wrong. So we see that behaviour that was once natural is now regarded as wrong and vice versa.
barbiegrl
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i agree that there is a bit of both in all of us
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Gay people are born gay. Most gay people you speak to will tell you that they knew from a very early age, many say that as they first started developing the idea of attraction, at around 3-5, they were attracted to the same sex, and not the opposite one.

Gay rights campaigners have worked a great deal in order to convince people that homosexuality is not something you resort to because you have been molested or something went "wrong" in your upbringing and that at birth you are predisposed to it. To state so uneqivocaly "Whats the phycology behind pple who turn homo" would have most campaigners go red with indignation (or pink, HA HA its a gay joke, get it!!).

In actual fact a trend has been identified as a link with the size of the hypothalamus. In the development stages of the foetus an injection of testosterone into the developing male leads to its development as a boy, rather than a girl. Men will develop large hypothalumuses, women, on the other hand, have small ones. Coinciding with this gay men also have small hypothalumses which indicates the deprivation of testosterone in the foetus' development. Hence although it may not be strictly "genetic" and although this is by no means conclusive evidence it IS pre determined and I believe this argument is a far more plausible option than "because they dont get any women/men"
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by texan trucker
whoever thinks they have a degree in psychology and knows how one is a homosexual.. is ever so slightly narrow minded, for he is an expert with years of research rite??
and to that ethnic minority geeser, if sumone sed that one is a homosexula just as one is black/white/asian whateva.. is in no way racist or a derogatory connotation.. he is merely implyin it is sumthin u r born with.. and cannot change
no need to jump at nethin that sounds merely racist.. thats what the world is comin too today.. with too many ppl tryin to be politically correct. like the ppl who think we need to change a flag, to represent all races of this country.. thats just dumb.. england is england.. u come here.. u respect it
oh so people who are homosexual cannot help it all, well in that case why don't we release every murderer/rapist/arsonist/paedophile in the world as they clearly have no choice in how they act as it must be genetic. if homosexuality is so genetic, why is that we hardly ever see gay brothers or sisters? the analogy with colour is offensive because people can never ever hide from their colour, a gay person can hide or reveal their sexuality as they choose. trying to liken the two is a pathetic attempt to excuse the fact the some people behave unnaturally.

as for your whole "politically correct" speech, i think it is even sadder when people now have to analyse every statement about race or religon to see whether it is jumping on the politically correct bandwagon, i did not even mention the word racism in my post...you are the narrow minded person.

i agree having a flag to represent races is extreme but as for "us" respecting england how to you justify that? how much respect did the english show the Celtic religons who had settled in england centuries before? enough respect to drive them to the most remote regions of the island e.g. wales, scotland, ireland it is no coincedence that england occupies the central region of the british isles.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago

They are born with battiness probably, because most benders already know they are queer when they are children. So they must be born that way.
grow up, people are trying to have a serious discussion and your incredible display of lack of intellect is just a tad pathetic
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
oh so people who are homosexual cannot help it all, well in that case why don't we release every murderer/rapist/arsonist/paedophile in the world as they clearly have no choice in how they act as it must be genetic.

Congratulations on launching the most absurd arguement I have ever witnessed. Murderers, rapists etc. have commited crimes, whether or not they are predisoposed to it is immaterial, and if they are there is all the more reason to lock them up to ensure they dont murder and rape MORE people. However you may feel towards it homosexuality is NOT a crime. Gay people are NOT a menace to society, if anything they make it richer by forcing us to respect diversity and grow accustomed to other people being different.

And the link between racism and sexuality abuse is not as absurd as you believe. Gay people are persecuted now for there sexual orientation just as black people were persecuted 40 years ago, and it is for a difference they can not help, it is not a concious decision or even a subconcious one, their homosexuality is predisposed and there is nothing they could or should do about it.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Congratulations on launching the most absurd arguement I have ever witnessed. Murderers, rapists etc. have commited crimes, whether or not they are predisoposed to it is immaterial, and if they are there is all the more reason to lock them up to ensure they dont murder and rape MORE people. However you may feel towards it homosexuality is NOT a crime. Gay people are NOT a menace to society, if anything they make it richer by forcing us to respect diversity and grow accustomed to other people being different.

And the link between racism and sexuality abuse is not as absurd as you believe. Gay people are persecuted now for there sexual orientation just as black people were persecuted 40 years ago, and it is for a difference they can not help, it is not a concious decision or even a subconcious one, their homosexuality is predisposed and there is nothing they could or should do about it.
my point isn't that murderers shouldn't be locked up, the point is that if they have no choice in what they do what right do we have to punish them e.g. death penalty laws in America. if your personality is defined genetically as your skin colour, we do not punish people for being black so we should not punish murderers by death or have any hostility towards them when they do things they have "no control" over. i was not in anyway trying to make out that gay people are a menance to society.

and it is the persecution faced by gay people being likened to racial perseuction i find "the most aburd argument i have ever heard". people dont wake up in the morning and decide they are black, a gay person is persecuted for something he/she does have some power over...the power to hide it or reveal it. but i am NOT in any way trying to condone gay persecution, persecution of any form is the most vile aspect of human behaviour possible.
pcq
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
i think more importantly is the religious or non-religious veiwpoint you have. How you feel about it is up to you but different societies feel differently about it.

If people want to be gay, if its a choice
or if people are born gay, it doesn't matter

In the end we are wat we think we are " a modern open minded society" and as years go by we believe different things, remember darwin was ridiculed for his theories of natural selection.

Everything changes with time, opinions and facts
Rich
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

In addition to your input, even if being gay wasn't genetic and it was something chosen consciously, I see that making no difference. There would still be nothing wrong with it. They are not harming anyone, unless of course they are forcing it upon someone, which is rape whether you're gay or straight and it's a different subject entirely.

Regards,
Rich
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
my point isn't that murderers shouldn't be locked up, the point is that if they have no choice in what they do what right do we have to punish them e.g. death penalty laws in America. if your personality is defined genetically as your skin colour, we do not punish people for being black so we should not punish murderers by death or have any hostility towards them when they do things they have "no control" over. i was not in anyway trying to make out that gay people are a menance to society.
You're missing one fundamental point. Murderers and rapists directly affect other people against their will. Gay people per se do not (obviously, that's not to say that there aren't gay rapists or gay murderers). Does this really take so much intelligence to understand?

and it is the persecution faced by gay people being likened to racial perseuction i find "the most aburd argument i have ever heard". people dont wake up in the morning and decide they are black, a gay person is persecuted for something he/she does have some power over...the power to hide it or reveal it. but i am NOT in any way trying to condone gay persecution, persecution of any form is the most vile aspect of human behaviour possible.
It's exactly the same. Why should a gay person have to change how they want to live, just so as to escape persecution? Just because a gay person can hide the source of the prejudice against them more easily then a black person can hide the source of the prejudice against them, does not make either type of prejudice any more justified or acceptable than the other.

Regards,
Rich
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by pcq
i think more importantly is the religious or non-religious veiwpoint you have.
Who cares what religion says, anyone could have written what's in the bible or the qu'ran (among others), and yet so many people choose blindly to follow and believe it without any evidence or free and independent thought, that to me is the ultimate low in intelligence; when your views are formed solely from those someone wrote down 2000 odd years ago. How can they be relevant in today's modern and developed society?

Blind faith is a very dangerous thing.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
The mouth is used for both eating and speaking is it not, but is one any more right or natural than the other?

I would sincerely like to contend this statement due to its ludicrousness. The human mouth has evolved to perform both functions, namely eating and speaking. They are, therefore, both as equally right and natural as each other because that is what the mouth is adapted to do. The mouth is multi-fuctional and needs to be if the organism is to survive. The vocal chords enable the human to communicate with fellow humans in order for the division of labour to exist; and hence the survival of the community. The mouth itself is also required to physically and chemically digest food and act as the ingestive passage way to the rest of the digestive system. This function is equally important as speech because it provides the body with nutients and therefore energy.
Conversely, the reproductive organs of humans have not evolved to perform homosexual activity. Your statement is irrelevant, and contradicts your whole argument.

In lay-mens terms; humans aren't supposed to bum each other, there is no need for it.

grow up, people are trying to have a serious discussion and your incredible display of lack of intellect is just a tad pathetic

I thought my earlier comment (the second one up from this) was quite apt. My comment is sufficient enough to end this discussion, what more depth do you have to go into to describe the cause of homosexuality than that? What is the point in spouting out a load or pretentious bull-**** when you can say it in a few words; gay people are born gay thats all there is to it.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Firstly, thank you Richard, you saved me the bother of having to laying out the *ahem* overly complex intricacies of my argument.

Secondly in response to

I thought my earlier comment (the second one up from this) was quite apt. My comment is sufficient enough to end this discussion, what more depth do you have to go into to describe the cause of homosexuality than that? What is the point in spouting out a load or pretentious bull-**** when you can say it in a few words; gay people are born gay thats all there is to it.
The point was that you didnt say "gay people are born gay" i did say that earlier, you didnt. You said "They are born with battiness probably, because most benders already know they are queer when they are children. So they must be born that way."

Now I'm sure at some stage in YOUR emotional development you learned the difference between names and insults. You crossed that divide here, to so obtrusely say benders, queer and "battiness" is just lowering the debate to levels of churlish immaturity. As for the case of spouting a loaf of pretentious bull****, no one forced you to join this, you decided to look over this AND THEN TO LEAVE A COMMENT of your own free will, the fact that so many messages have been left is evidence enough that there IS some room for debate

The D man
texan trucker
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
oh so people who are homosexual cannot help it all, well in that case why don't we release every murderer/rapist/arsonist/paedophile in the world as they clearly have no choice in how they act as it must be genetic. if homosexuality is so genetic, why is that we hardly ever see gay brothers or sisters? the analogy with colour is offensive because people can never ever hide from their colour, a gay person can hide or reveal their sexuality as they choose. trying to liken the two is a pathetic attempt to excuse the fact the some people behave unnaturally.

as for your whole "politically correct" speech, i think it is even sadder when people now have to analyse every statement about race or religon to see whether it is jumping on the politically correct bandwagon, i did not even mention the word racism in my post...you are the narrow minded person.

i agree having a flag to represent races is extreme but as for "us" respecting england how to you justify that? how much respect did the english show the Celtic religons who had settled in england centuries before? enough respect to drive them to the most remote regions of the island e.g. wales, scotland, ireland it is no coincedence that england occupies the central region of the british isles.
The fact of the ,atter is.. THERE ARE gay brothers and sisters .. THATS THE POINT.. DO UR RESEARCH... especially gay twins!!!
texan trucker
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

ANDU MY FRIEND ARE BORN WITHOUT A BRAIN
texan trucker
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

i agree having a flag to represent races is extreme but as for "us" respecting england how to you justify that? how much respect
did the english show the Celtic religons who had settled in england centuries before? enough respect to drive them to the most remote regions of the island e.g. wales, scotland, ireland it is no coincedence that england occupies the central region of the
british isles.
Why should i look to excuse what u consider unnatural behaviours.. it is just like a black man being persecuted for what he is.. if a gay guy believe he IS gay then who are u to say it is unnaturall... would u like me to say that blacks have an unnatural colour!!!???!
Unregistered3
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Not really answering the question, but isn't it weird how society is outraged when there is a joke about ethnics or Islam (I mention Islam as Christianity seems fine and being anti-semetic seems to be almost a must for the modern liberal) yet we all just accept jokes about gays. You wouldn't get away with joking about lesbians either.

Guess that's just another result of living in a country ruled by weak, weak people.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago

I was referring to your use of "battiness" and "benders", i don't think homosexuality is right or a natural thing but everyone deserves to be treated with a bit more respect than that, especially when everyone here is having a serious discussion.

Thank you Richard Hayden for your points, im the "ethnic" person and your argument outweighs mine. i still dont accept that homosexuality and ethnic minorites make for a good analogy but i appreciate your point of view. i would like to clarify that although i do not agree with homosexuality in NO WAY was i attempting to launch any attack on the gay community, i was only expressing my opinion.

thank you to whoever started this thread, it made for a very gd discussion.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (220)
12.48%
Excited (165)
9.36%
Worried (308)
17.47%
Terrified (389)
22.06%
Meh (182)
10.32%
Confused (38)
2.16%