What makes people homosexual?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
isn't it weird how society is outraged when there is a joke about ethnics or Islam
Sorry to go off-topic here, but I am not outraged by jokes on Islam, I hate the way the rag-heads condemn our society and culture and call us infidels. If there is a joke about Islam then I think it is justified, because they are hateful and prejudiced about the western world in the first place. To be honest, the turbinators really piss me off. How is it fair for them to condemn our culture and attack us with terrorism, but when we respond with jokes it is politically incorrect, unfair and racist? Explain that? :confused:
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Unregistered
Sorry to go off-topic here, but I am not outraged by jokes on Islam, I hate the way the rag-heads condemn our society and culture and call us infidels. If there is a joke about Islam then I think it is justified, because they are hateful and prejudiced about the western world in the first place. To be honest, the turbinators really piss me off. How is it fair for them to condemn our culture and attack us with terrorism, but when we respond with jokes it is politically incorrect, unfair and racist? Explain that? :confused:
How about because you are generalising? It's like everyone saying they hate the English because they are a bunch of drunken hooligans.

Please refrain from using racist remarks.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by rahaydenuk
Who cares what religion says, anyone could have written what's in the bible or the qu'ran (among others), and yet so many people choose blindly to follow and believe it without any evidence or free and independent thought, that to me is the ultimate low in intelligence; when your views are formed solely from those someone wrote down 2000 odd years ago. How can they be relevant in today's modern and developed society?

Blind faith is a very dangerous thing.
Please don't be so arrogant. Of course they can be relevant in today's society; people never change.
I have researched many other ideas about the formation of the world as we know it, and in all honesty, the existence of a higher being is the most likely.
Rich
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Bigcnee
Please don't be so arrogant. Of course they can be relevant in today's society; people never change.
I have researched many other ideas about the formation of the world as we know it, and in all honesty, the existence of a higher being is the most likely.
How can it logically be considered at all likely? There is no evidence for it at all, apart from texts, which could've been written by anyone. I'm not saying it's impossible, just extremely unlikely. It's about as likely as there being a pink elephant orbiting Pluto, as we have no evidence to the contrary, which is the only argument that can be used to support religion and blind faith. Lack of disproof does not in general constitute proof.

Just think about it this way. Imagine you are in the street and a man comes up to you out of no where and starts to tell you about an all-powerful being who lives in his garage. I think you'd find this hard to believe, and maybe even laugh at it. BUT if you're believing in an omnipotent being in the sky, then why not in this being in this man's garage, it would all be due to the same mechanism, blind faith. When people come up to me and tell me about a omnipotent god or such like, I find myself feeling just like the man walking through the street, asking why I should believe you, for you have provided no evidence.

Regards,
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
How can it logically be considered at all likely? There is no evidence for it at all, apart from texts, which could've been written by anyone. I'm not saying it's impossible, just extremely unlikely. It's about as likely as there being a pink elephant orbiting Pluto, as we have no evidence to the contrary, which is the only argument that can be used to support religion and blind faith. Lack of disproof does not in general constitute proof.

Just think about it this way. Imagine you are in the street and a man comes up to you out of no where and starts to tell you about an all-powerful being who lives in his garage. I think you'd find this hard to believe, and maybe even laugh at it. BUT if you're believing in an omnipotent being in the sky, then why not in this being in this man's garage, it would all be due to the same mechanism, blind faith. When people come up to me and tell me about a omnipotent god or such like, I find myself feeling just like the man walking through the street, asking why I should believe you, for you have provided no evidence.

Regards,
You talk about concrete evidence needed. But looking back on the Christian reason the world exists, what would be the point of the world if such evidence existed? The point of "Faith" is to believe in something that you have never seen.

I suppose you are an atheist (correct me If I am wrong). There is so much science cannot explain, quite simply because they are out of their depth. It aggrevates me in physics when I learn about the neutrino and such sun-atomic particles. They have NO EVIDENCE for these. They were invented to make their own ideas more believable. People also take Science with blind faith.
texan trucker
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

Tho I am not claiming or claiming to the contrary, that I believe in god, but to tottally disregard an omnipotent presence wherever he/she migth be, is seemingly difficult.. I'm not saying that you should belive or nething,, but like u say that no disproof constitutes proof,.. but there are unexplainable things which do exist in this world.. and at the end of the day.. it makes u wonder.. faith is important because it give ppl a reason for being,, a way of explaining things.. cos sometimes scinece fails them
Regards,
texan trucker
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Tho I am not claiming or claiming to the contrary, that I believe in god, but to tottally disregard an omnipotent presence wherever he/she migth be, is seemingly difficult.. I'm not saying that you should belive or nething,, but like u say that no disproof constitutes proof,.. but there are unexplainable things which do exist in this world.. and at the end of the day.. it makes u wonder.. faith is important because it give ppl a reason for being,, a way of explaining things.. cos sometimes scinece fails them
Regards,
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I believe it's genetic, i.e. natural and not caused by nurture.
Rich
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You talk about concrete evidence needed. But looking back on the Christian reason the world exists, what would be the point of the world if such evidence existed? The point of "Faith" is to believe in something that you have never seen.
Don't you think you're taking the easy route? It's very easy to say "Oh, you've got to have faith", but why not try taking the more difficult path of asking yourself what exactly it is that you have faith in, and why you have faith in it; try to leave the flock, and think for yourself. Faith in something, for which you have no evidence is wholely illogical.

I suppose you are an atheist (correct me If I am wrong). There is so much science cannot explain, quite simply because they are out of their depth. It aggrevates me in physics when I learn about the neutrino and such sun-atomic particles. They have NO EVIDENCE for these. They were invented to make their own ideas more believable. People also take Science with blind faith.
There is evidence for the neutrino and all nearly all other areas of science. Granted, this evidence is often not satisfactory and is often circumstantial, but it's far more than just blind faith, as scientists are willing to improve on their ideas as they discover and learn more. I'm sure most scientists would be willing to drop the idea of neutrinos if evidence was provided for something more likely. There is a large difference between this behaviour and blind faith. (If you're looking for evidence for neutrinos etc., just search under Google, and I'm sure you'll have a lot of hits).
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Don't you think you're taking the easy route? It's very easy to say "Oh, you've got to have faith", but why not try taking the more difficult path of asking yourself what exactly it is that you have faith in, and why you have faith in it; try to leave the flock, and think for yourself. Faith in something, for which you have no evidence is wholely illogical.

There is evidence for the neutrino and all nearly all other areas of science. Granted, this evidence is often not satisfactory and is often circumstantial, but it's far more than just blind faith, as scientists are willing to improve on their ideas as they discover and learn more. I'm sure most scientists would be willing to drop the idea of neutrinos if evidence was provided for something more likely. There is a large difference between this behaviour and blind faith. (If you're looking for evidence for neutrinos etc., just search under Google, and I'm sure you'll have a lot of hits).
The neutrino has never been detected to my knowledge, but this is irrelevant.

Believe me I have thought long and hard about the source of the Earth, and you know the conclusion I came to?
It is ridiculous for people to say that their explaination has more truth in it than anyone else's, because quite honestly, no-one knows why we are here. I also ask you to leave the atheist "flock" and see how many explainations of the Universe don't even come close to telling us what we are doing here.
Rich
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The neutrino has never been detected to my knowledge, but this is irrelevant.

Believe me I have thought long and hard about the source of the Earth, and you know the conclusion I came to?
It is ridiculous for people to say that their explaination has more truth in it than anyone else's, because quite honestly, no-one knows why we are here. I also ask you to leave the atheist "flock" and see how many explainations of the Universe don't even come close to telling us what we are doing here.
I never once said that my scientific explanation of why we're here has anymore truth than your religious viewpoint. I just said that it has much more supporting evidence.

Nor did I say that my atheist viewpoint tells all. BUT I did say that at least scientists will adapt and modify their viewpoint of the origins of the universe as and when they are faced with the relevant evidence. This is what religion inherently lacks; the ability to question the supreme truth it claims to preach.

Regards,
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I never once said that my scientific explanation of why we're here has anymore truth than your religious viewpoint. I just said that it has much more supporting evidence.

Nor did I say that my atheist viewpoint tells all. BUT I did say that at least scientists will adapt and modify their viewpoint of the origins of the universe as and when they are faced with the relevant evidence. This is what religion inherently lacks; the ability to question the supreme truth it claims to preach.

Regards,
This is simply because they are inherently different in nature. From a basic view, why would you try to adopt and question your "truth" when you have your guidelines set out, by the supreme being (ie Bible, Torah, Koran)? Science is the pursuit of an unknown quest. Religion already knows what it has found.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
dude. this is a thread of homosex
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Maybe you are missing the point, if believing in something helps people feel secure or helps them get through life then what does it matter if their faith is illogical or without evidence. if believing in God helps a person to respect others or stop drinking, etc. then surely this is benefitting to them and others. the most terrifying aspect of life for a person is death, belief in an omnipresent being is a way for people to overcome this fear and live their lives with soemthing to hold onto. this is the true power of religon and faith, it does not need to be proved like a scientifc theory.

btw i am a 18 year old student who is neither an atheist no devout religous follower.
Rich
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
This is simply because they are inherently different in nature. From a basic view, why would you try to adopt and question your "truth" when you have your guidelines set out, by the supreme being (ie Bible, Torah, Koran)? Science is the pursuit of an unknown quest. Religion already knows what it has found.
But how can religion claim to know what it has found is the truth, without questioning it and providing evidence for it? If you knew for a fact that a supreme being had given you your guidelines, then maybe the situation would be different, but no one knows that for a fact, as this supreme being has never provided any evidence of his/her existence. How do you know that the stories of the Qu'ran, the Bible, the Torah etc. are not just fairy tales made up by someone many years ago?

Religion has much incommon with how Hitler convinced nearly a whole country that something was the truth against their probably better judgement. They all believed him solely on blind faith in him. The same happens with suicide bombers and terrorists such as we witnessed on Sept, 11th 2001. Blind, unquestioning faith is inherently dangerous.

Regards,
Rich
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Unregistered
Maybe you are missing the point, if believing in something helps people feel secure or helps them get through life then what does it matter if their faith is illogical or without evidence. if believing in God helps a person to respect others or stop drinking, etc. then surely this is benefitting to them and others. the most terrifying aspect of life for a person is death, belief in an omnipresent being is a way for people to overcome this fear and live their lives with soemthing to hold onto. this is the true power of religon and faith, it does not need to be proved like a scientifc theory.

btw i am a 18 year old student who is neither an atheist no devout religous follower.
Oh no, I don't believe that religion is a bad thing if it helps people live their lives, I just don't like it when people try to tell me that it is the truth etc. I think this originated talking about homosexuality and how the bible etc. claim that it's a bad thing. Why should homosexuals have to listen to such narrow-minded drivel? I reiterate, I have nothing against people believing in whatever they want as long as they do not use their views to insult others.

Regards,
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
But how can religion claim to know what it has found is the truth, without questioning it and providing evidence for it? If you knew for a fact that a supreme being had given you your guidelines, then maybe the situation would be different, but no one knows that for a fact, as this supreme being has never provided any evidence of his/her existence. How do you know that the stories of the Qu'ran, the Bible, the Torah etc. are not just fairy tales made up by someone many years ago?

Religion has much incommon with how Hitler convinced nearly a whole country that something was the truth against their probably better judgement. They all believed him solely on blind faith in him. The same happens with suicide bombers and terrorists such as we witnessed on Sept, 11th 2001. Blind, unquestioning faith is inherently dangerous.

Regards,
Yet again you are missing the point.
From a philosophical point of view, there would be no point in the world being created if it was blatently obvious that there was a supreme being. However, there is enough evidence for people to understand the reason for living, and make up their own minds.

Furthermore, blind following of science is a more subtle, but nonetheless, equally dangerous thing. These scientists, who have "uncovered" the underlying principles are those who have created the nuclear/ biological arms race.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
quite simply, it is not about following the flock, as you call it. So what if a majority believe in god, doesn't mean its a good thing if you don't join the flock.

Relgion has stood the test of time, populations of people dont just believe for nothing, the numbers are important, and how long religion has lasted is proof itself
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
the devil
reasonable man
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I haven't read all the recent posts on this topic in depth but it seems we're going off at a tangent somewhat. The original question asked what makes a person homosexual. Bringing religion into the argument doesn't help answer the question.

Having said that, we must all be satisfied with the fact that neither science nor religion can give us answers to everything.

Warmest regards,
Michael
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (301)
34.28%
No (577)
65.72%

Watched Threads