The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Current LSE student, ask me anything

Scroll to see replies

Has basically everyone there done Fmaths A2 for the courses which it would be relevant for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by anoymous1111
Has basically everyone there done Fmaths A2 for the courses which it would be relevant for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have firmed an offer for BMS and am doing A2 Further Maths. If you want to apply for BMS why aren't you going to take FM?

Not sure that your GCSEs results will have that much bearing on the decision although they might work in a tie breaker. It will be your PS that determines if you get an offer or not.
Are all the unconditional offer holders the people who have already done and got results for their A2s?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aj_16
Hello AQUF42,

In terms of your two requirements:
Roseberry would be your cheapest option if you could get a 38 week contract. Also Rosebery is about a 25 min walk from LSE.
High Holborn is closest to LSE but it is the most expensive and it tends to be quite international so this depends on whether your son is British or international.
Bankside is very sociable and is where I stay now. It is cheaper than High Holborn but more expensive than Rosebery. I would personally choose Bankside because it hasn't let me down yet and its nicer than Rosebery where I have stayed before.

[video="youtube;qneKSsLP0q4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qneKSsLP0q4[/video]

Do you agree with what Fleur (The blonde) said about LSE?
Original post by JamjamjamT
I have firmed an offer for BMS and am doing A2 Further Maths. If you want to apply for BMS why aren't you going to take FM?

Not sure that your GCSEs results will have that much bearing on the decision although they might work in a tie breaker. It will be your PS that determines if you get an offer or not.

I thought I was going to apply for medicine and they often don't count FM separately to maths for medicine. Isn't it too late for me to do A2 further maths now as I'm nearly at the end of of year 12 and I've only done the modules for AS 'normal' maths

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 225
Thanks BMS

He has applied for
Rosebery
Bankside
High Holborn

Lets see
Reply 226
Original post by JamjamjamT
Why can't you accept your offer?

I'm waiting to here back about a scholarship for another school that would be to good to pass up if I got it
Reply 227
Original post by kurofune
There was a discussion about this on the LSE offer holders FB page. As long as you do not insure LSE, then you should get an accommodation offer in the time they specified. Multiple people have had acommodation offers before they firmed.

Really? LSE told me that they didn't typically do it until the offer was firmed
Original post by Bennnnn
Really? LSE told me that they didn't typically do it until the offer was firmed

Really? Several people didn't firm, but they got housing offers.
Hi,
I am from kolkata,India.
I am planning on applying to LSE for masters in international management.
My questions are:
1. Does summer schooling in SMU help improve the CV?
2. From 1, or does an internship help? If it does, then doing it abroad would give me an edge?
3. How is the course of international management?
Thankyou in advance.
Hi, is it possible to switch from a 38week contract, which I've been offered at Roseberry, to a 30 week? Also is it possible to change from History to a course like econ history with economics? Can history make you competitive for city jobs or is a switch advisable?

Thankyou
Hi there!

I have a enquiry about the UCAS personal statement.

I am in a unique situation because due to my national service (NS) in Singapore, I have two opportunities to apply for UK universities, once in my first year of NS and another in my second.

As such, for my first try, I was thinking of not applying for any safety schools since I would not accept the safety school offers anyway.

My options were going to be as such:
Cambridge // LSE Econs // LSE Math and Econs // UCL Econs // UCL Econs and Stats

I have gotten 44 points for my IB exams (with a 7 in math) so my grades should be good enough. The issue is the personal statement.

I have heard that UCL Econs and UCL Econs and Stats are rather similar courses, so writing a personal statement catering to Economics should be sufficient for both courses.

However, seeing that admission to LSE depends heavily on your personal statement, I have been advised against applying for both Econs and Math and Econs at LSE. I have been told that LSE really wants you to cater your application towards one focused course, and it is stupid to apply for both courses as they are not that similar. As such, my questions are:

1) Are LSE Econs and LSE Math and Econs really so different? How difficult is it to write a personal statement that caters to both?

2) Is it true that the schools under UOL such as UCL, LSE are able to see your applications to their different schools? Does that disadvantage me?

3) Is it unwise to apply two courses at the same university like I have? Will the department receive the two applications independently or together?

4) Is it possible that they could reject me from both just because I have applied for both two courses at the same university? Or will that not be a problem and could I very well receive two offers form the same university?

5) After doing my research, the closest course to LSE Econs that I could find within LSE was LSE Math and Econs. Is there any closer degree to Econs within LSE that I missed out on?

Thanks so much! :smile:
Original post by Chr0n
Really? Where have you seen all these reviews? I have just accepted my offer for Sidney Webb. From what I have seen from the website it looks quite alright. In York (where I currently study) I am sharing a kitchen with 15 people and it works out just fine.

Here. Just use the search option. Some people quite pissed off with Sidney Webb. Don't know why but made me worried.
Reply 233
How hard is it to find a part-time job/paid internship? Where should I look aside from the LSE employment pages and http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Part-Time_Work? I'm an international student (American), so I hope that's not a disadvantage. I know London is extremely expensive, so I want to have enough money to survive there.
Reply 234
Original post by pgc13
How hard is it to find a part-time job/paid internship? Where should I look aside from the LSE employment pages and http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Part-Time_Work? I'm an international student (American), so I hope that's not a disadvantage. I know London is extremely expensive, so I want to have enough money to survive there.

I have the same questions with you. International student too >.<
Original post by Chr0n
Really? Where have you seen all these reviews? I have just accepted my offer for Sidney Webb. From what I have seen from the website it looks quite alright. In York (where I currently study) I am sharing a kitchen with 15 people and it works out just fine.

Is Sidney Webb really that bad? I just accepted an offer for accommodation there :/
Reply 236
Original post by siddharthmsc
Is Sidney Webb really that bad? I just accepted an offer for accommodation there :/

Nothing conclusive, but I've heard from one person who lives there and he enjoys it.
The rest is just TSR I suppose.
Original post by Chr0n
Nothing conclusive, but I've heard from one person who lives there and he enjoys it.
The rest is just TSR I suppose.

So you'll stay put at SW then?
Reply 238
Original post by siddharthmsc
So you'll stay put at SW then?

Yes definitely. TBH it's the only hall I can afford in London :redface:.
I've got a Cambridge offer too though, so I might choose to go there instead. I am not completely sure yet.
Original post by Chr0n
Yes definitely. TBH it's the only hall I can afford in London :redface:.
I've got a Cambridge offer too though, so I might choose to go there instead. I am not completely sure yet.

Oh come on, just when I thought I'd know someone in the same accommodation :P anyways, I hope to see you in September mate :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending