The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Current LSE student, ask me anything

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pupil2354
Hi, I did iGCSEs and got 4 A*s, 4 As and 2 Bs. Is there any point applying to LSE for Geography with Economics with those grades? I am hoping to get 4 As at AS level and then 3 for A level.
Thanks!

Looks like you have all the ingredients to build a strong application. Go for it! However, make sure you are eligible to apply: ''A*AA (to include A* in Maths) plus a pass in a fourth subject for those with 4 or more A2s or A*AA plus an A grade in Further Maths AS for those offering AS Further Maths only''.
(edited 7 years ago)
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by JWJW
Hello, I am taking Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Government & Politics and planning to apply for ECONOMICS in LSE.

Do you think there would be any disadvantages for me to take G & P or would it be fine??

You should read the FAQs under admissions for BSc Economics on the website. That combination of subjects looks like a typical selection taken by successful Econ applicants. Note that it says ''In addition to Maths, the selectors prefer to see subject combinations which indicate that you possess both analytical and writing abilities. Subjects which appear as common post-16 choices are Economics (although not a required subject); Physics; History; Chemistry; English and Government and Politics'' + further maths to a good level. Good luck.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by DarkPeople
Looks like you have all the ingredients to build a strong application. Go for it! However, make sure you are eligible to apply: ''A*AA (to include A* in Maths) plus a pass in a fourth subject for those with 4 or more A2s or A*AA plus an A grade in Further Maths AS for those offering AS Further Maths only''.

Thank you! i though geography and economics was AAA, has it changed from what you are saying to A*AA?
Many thanks
Original post by pupil2354
Thank you! i though geography and economics was AAA, has it changed from what you are saying to A*AA?
Many thanks

Sorry. I must have misread it as a pure Econ degree! You're right - it is AAA with an A in Mathematics.
Original post by Aj_16
As the title states, I'm a current LSE student. The process can be quite long and I found when applying last year that there are numerous questions I needed the answer to which I couldn't find answers for. I have been at LSE for 2 months so far and I'm loving my experience. I hope to answer any queries you people may have... fire away

How much is your rent?
What if your GCSE grades are mainly Bs? I wasnt quite the A* student at GCSE do I still have a chance of getting in?
Do all applicants have the same chance of receiving an offer for a certain subject? For example, if a student took Sociology, Art and Maths at A Level and were wanting to apply for the Social Policy degree, would they have the same chance of receiving an offer as someone who took Government & Politics, Sociology and Psychology?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 307
I got 6A* and 2 A in GCSE. My AS predicted grades are maths A*, physics A, chemistry B.
I have really strong extra curricular activities including sports and art. I plan on getting work experience over this summer.
what are my chances of getting admitted into BSc accounting and finance?
Reply 308
Hello! I will also be studying at LSE next year. I received an email concerning the programme timeline for next year and I realised that Christmas vacation last for almost 1 month. As I am an international student I plan on visiting my parents that period. Do you know if I have to be in London or if I can leave during the whole Christmas vacation?
Original post by 1206
Hello! I will also be studying at LSE next year. I received an email concerning the programme timeline for next year and I realised that Christmas vacation last for almost 1 month. As I am an international student I plan on visiting my parents that period. Do you know if I have to be in London or if I can leave during the whole Christmas vacation?

You can leave for the vacation. Obviously if you have January exams, you would probably benefit coming back to London a bit earlier to resettle etc.
Reply 310
Original post by DarkPeople
You can leave for the vacation. Obviously if you have January exams, you would probably benefit coming back to London a bit earlier to resettle etc.

Οk, thank you very much. Having studied my undergraduate degree in Greece, I am not used to so many days in Christmas vacation!
Reply 311
Hi, Please can you tell me the best halls for a politics and international relations student. I want the cheapest one and one which is close to the school . Also I want my own bathroom ..thanks
Reply 312
Original post by Aj_16
As the title states, I'm a current LSE student. The process can be quite long and I found when applying last year that there are numerous questions I needed the answer to which I couldn't find answers for. I have been at LSE for 2 months so far and I'm loving my experience. I hope to answer any queries you people may have... fire away

Are there any gulf Arab students (Saudi, Qatari, Kuwaiti etc.)?
Original post by F11AK
Are there any gulf Arab students (Saudi, Qatari, Kuwaiti etc.)?

2015/2016 stats
Saudi 13
Qatar 10
Kuwait 8
Oman 4
Yemen 0

Source LSE website
http://www.lse.ac.uk/intranet/LSEServices/planningUnit/informationManagementAndStatistics/statisticsOnStudents.aspx
Is it true you can get extra time in exams, and if so, how ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 315
Original post by Persian ninja
Is it true you can get extra time in exams, and if so, how ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Persian Ninja (cool name :redface:!),

Extra time is permitted only if a student has a disability. Medical proof is needed for this disability and then extra time is given in exams.
Original post by Aj_16

I just received my A level results yesterday and got accepted at LSE to study Politics and International Relations. However, my interests have changed and now I think I want to study Law (I have always had an interest in this subject). I achieved the grades for Law. How likely is it that LSE would let me switch to Law? Also should I wait until I start to ask them to change or should I ring up as soon as possible? Thank you! 😊
In my AS levels I got Maths - AEconomics - BReligious studies - AEnglish lit - Ajust wondering if I would receive any offers for economics (A* in maths,A,A) or economics & philosophy (A,A,A) or should I look elsewhere
Is there an option of starting an accounting and finance course at LSE from January I mean does the university offers a course that starts from jan
Reply 319
Hi there,
I have 10A* 1Afor GCSEs, however I've messed up my AS, I got B for RS and A, B, C for C1, C2 and M1 for maths (overall B for AS).
I have been predicted A*AA and an additional A* for my home language but I don't think uni count that:frown:

Given my results for AS do you think I stand a chance at all? Thanks a lot xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending