The Student Room Group

Overrated Universities.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Classical Liberal
Good point.

100% known for golf and two fairly boring and unintelligent people being alumni. Boring and unintelligent, sums up St. Andrews pretty neatly.

Agreed brother but you see brother the St Andrews students brother get defensive brother when you break it to them they aren't great brother.
Oxbridge
Imperial
UCL
LSE
Edinburgh for medicine and vetmedicine only.
KCL and Barts for medicine and dentistry only.
RVC for vetmed obvs.
Perhaps Warwick for Mathematics/Economics/Business/Finance etc. Perhaps. Perhaps.
These places above are Tier 1 maybe verging on to Tier 2 as the Americans say. Comparable to the Ivies, Stanford, Berekeley, MIT and Caltech etc. (Edinburgh Medicine is comparable to UPenn Medicine for example).

that's it IMO...everything else tries to be 'elite' as the OP said but they don't really carry the same weight as these institutions. I know some arty farty person will say that Durham (and its pathetic 'comparable to oxbridge' collegiate system) carries weight - maybe it does. I would say between tier 1 and tier 2.

I notice places like Bristol, Exeter, St Andrews and Edinburgh (except for medicine) especially are typically for the public schooled 'clever but not that clever' people who wanted to go somewhere 'good but not elite'. These are deffo tier 2 institutions - like NYU or Washington lol.

Places like Birmingham are just plain run of the mill mediocrity (apart from med and dent). Universities like that are in reach of the general population (not the elite), thus anyone can get in. Tier 3.

Tier 4 are places like Manchester Met or even Oxford Brookes. Now that is going to university just for the sake of going to university. LOLZZZZZZZ
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by solarplexus
...Tier 4 are places like Manchester Met or even Oxford Brookes. Now that is going to university just for the sake of going to university. LOLZZZZZZZ

Big words for someone who got 4 rejections last year LOL

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SerLorasTyrell

Posted from TSR Mobile

To be fair it was for Medicine
Original post by Okorange
To be fair it was for Medicine

Original post by SerLorasTyrell

Posted from TSR Mobile

got offer from UCL for biochemical engineering at least - which i declined

plus i got good grades buddies
got offer from UCL for biochemical engineering at least - which i declined

plus i got good grades buddies

If you're doing a science degree does the prestige and ranking of a university really matter
Original post by goobypls
If you're doing a science degree does the prestige and ranking of a university really matter

No not really. What really matters is your degree classification and any internships you've had or extracurriculars.

well international employability wise i would say so...it adds a bit if u went to the top places which are known by international employers....

also at top universities there are easier networking opportunities, better facilities and higher quality of teaching in general....
well international employability wise i would say so...it adds a bit if u went to the top places which are known by international employers....

also at top universities there are easier networking opportunities, better facilities and higher quality of teaching in general....

I don't exactly go to a top uni,so even if a get like a 2:1 in chemistry will i still struggle to find a job ?
I don't exactly go to a top uni,so even if a get like a 2:1 in chemistry will i still struggle to find a job ?

depends on many factors, you will probably find a job, but those who went to top unis could have potentially found that job before you or found better jobs.
depends on many factors, you will probably find a job, but those who went to top unis could have potentially found that job before you or found better jobs.

Is chemistry really competitive like subjects such as business and law.

its not that competitive....provided you harness the skills and qualities that you have: i.e. you could go into IB with you chemistry degree.

Well if you want to work in chemistry usually you should do a masters or PhD. If you just want a job i'm sure you can find one but not sure if it'll be relevant to your degree. IB is possible only if you network for it and you have great grades.
Original post by Okorange
Well if you want to work in chemistry usually you should do a masters or PhD. If you just want a job i'm sure you can find one but not sure if it'll be relevant to your degree. IB is possible only if you network for it and you have great grades.

I'm currently doing a bachelors though.
The fact that everyone seems to agree with Hulk infuriates me, The fact is that most of these people have not experienced whether or not going to a top university will get you in to a better job, it is about who you are as a person which will get you the job.

I do agree with OP in the sense that going to some of the lower league universities won't stand you in as good stead as others but comparing say Nottingham with Warwick...What is wrong with everyone here!!

going to Oxford or Cambridge is great but the fact is most people can get the same jobs they can by going to uni's that offer AAB-AAA. You aren't going to get a job purely based on the fact you got a first from Oxford. If you aren't an employable person like the OP sounds like then you won't get that particular job.

Besides, not that I'm endorsing it as a living but footballers, singers and so on have all had very minimal educations and make way more than the average Oxbridge graduate. Because they have a talent, a skill that most other people cannot do.

If more people spent their time doing stuff for charity/helping others rather than criticizing those they feel are beneath them, this country would be a much better place...

Almost every person here has made me lose a bit of faith in humanity cause sometimes you think this world could be so much better but it is elitists like you that will make that ever impossible#

Tier 4 are places like Manchester Met or even Oxford Brookes. Now that is going to university just for the sake of going to university. LOLZZZZZZZ

This is only one example cause I don't want to single people out but seriously...are we really laughing out loud in the faces of people because they aren't as intelligent as us?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by LordPhylogeny
The fact that everyone seems to agree with Hulk infuriates me, The fact is that most of these people have not experienced whether or not going to a top university will get you in to a better job, it is about who you are as a person which will get you the job.

I do agree with OP in the sense that going to some of the lower league universities won't stand you in as good stead as others but comparing say Nottingham with Warwick...What is wrong with everyone here!!

going to Oxford or Cambridge is great but the fact is most people can get the same jobs they can by going to uni's that offer AAB-AAA. You aren't going to get a job purely based on the fact you got a first from Oxford. If you aren't an employable person like the OP sounds like then you won't get that particular job.

Besides, not that I'm endorsing it as a living but footballers, singers and so on have all had very minimal educations and make way more than the average Oxbridge graduate. Because they have a talent, a skill that most other people cannot do.

If more people spent their time doing stuff for charity/helping others rather than criticizing those they feel are beneath them, this country would be a much better place...

Almost every person here has made me lose a bit of faith in humanity cause sometimes you think this world could be so much better but it is elitists like you that will make that ever impossible#

This is only one example cause I don't want to single people out but seriously...are we really laughing out loud in the faces of people because they aren't as intelligent as us?

dude im pretty sure they won't be on tsr so they wont see anything which would piss them off
Reply 96
Oxford? if it werent for them being famous for being famous they would have been surpassed ages ago, they are the Kim Ks of the academic world.
dude im pretty sure they won't be on tsr so they wont see anything which would piss them off

The very fact you made that statement shows what what kind of people are supporting the OP
Original post by LordPhylogeny
The very fact you made that statement shows what what kind of people are supporting the OP

chill out
chill out

Chill out?

I am completely calm, I just think you need a better perspective on what is really important.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending